Highlighted
Social Butterfly

Re: When stones are thrown

Message 1 of 5

What I find interesting is the mention of "fake screen names and profiles."  Anyone who has posted in the P & CE group knows that we have had to put up with a spate of fake screen names and profiles from time to time and have gotten pretty good at recognizing them when they pop up...particularly with one poster who leaves his "distinctive calling card" every time.

That said, they are few and far between on the rest of this forum, particularly since there are fewer discussion groups now and the number of them is finite.  However, since it has been brought up here, I have noticed at least one "fake profile" in a couple of other forums lately.  So far, no damage done, but it's extremely disappointing that a member would use this method for his own ends...or for mischief.   He runs the risk of being suspended or worse.  I'm watching and waiting to see how far this is taken and how it all shakes out.  

As far as spelling and grammatical errors, improvements like spell-check, auto correct and dictation programs have increased the numbers of noticeable spelling and grammatical errors and members would be wise to withhold comment lest they also become victims of "technology gone wild!"  I've seen some posters with a penchant for "editing" others' posts make serious errors in grammar,  spelling and punctuation from time to time and it's so tempting to "turn the tables" on them...but it's very petty and mean-spirited...and as I said in another post today, revenge is a powerful motive.  Nah...I think I'll pass on that one!

What I won't pass on is when someone who is obviously misinformed makes an egregious error that might be perpetuated if allowed to go unchallenged.  The folks who post here on P & CE are "toughened" and tested in the fire of debate and can (probably 99% of the time) hold their own when someone posts a response that disagrees with their premise.  After years of participation, I think most of us have built up a grudging respect for those who disagree with us and know that they are presenting their arguments in good faith and

following the rules of good debate.  

In the other forums, you are more likely to see "resistance" from posters who "take offense" to others' responses.  They cry foul if someone disagrees with them.  Cyber-bullying can also include "under-the radar" trolling and passive-aggressive responses designed to quietly bait someone into an inflammatory retort after multiple frustrations from the bully...which can take many forms...all of which the bully knowingly does to achieve his end...getting his victim(s) sanctioned in some way.

The stone throwing goes both ways.  The best remedy is to "police ourselves."  If you don't want it done to you...don't do it to someone else.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 5

Something I find interesting is a poster posting a topic throwing stones at multiple posters within this group for "throwing stones".

A bit humorous to say the least.

But ........ it does fall under Cyber Bullying.   If a poster points out spelling errors, then I will point theirs out. Posters who don't call out other's spelling errors, I won't point theirs out.

"The only thing that man learns from history is that man learns nothing from history."
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 5

@Soosie wrote:

Something I find interesting is the posters who throw stones regarding someone's education level.  I don't spell so great, but I do recognize poor grammar and punctuation.

In the case where this type of pointing occurs, one would think the posters would be very careful about their grammar and punctuation.

Just my humble opinion.

Soosie

For once we agree. I am a non typing machine, and i do notice the same people that are petty enough to correct my typos, dont realize when their spellcheck disrupts the use of proper grammar. makes me want to slap then.

So it begins.
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 5

@Soosie What you describe is cyber bullying. It happens all over these forums, not just here in the political forum. Sadly.

Cyber bullying can find many mediums such as email, text messaging, and social networks such as Face Book and MySpace. Here the bully can remain unknown as they can create fake screen names and profiles. It makes it easier to be a bully and to fall victim. Cyber bullying can consist of threats of violence, verbal abuse, and spreading false information for the purpose of embarrassing someone or hurting their reputations. The Cyber Bullying Research Center says that “We define cyber bullying as:

"Cyber bullying is when someone repeatedly harasses, mistreats, or makes fun of another person online or while using cell phones or other electronic devices."(Cyberbullying Research Center, 2011).

More here: https://www.theravive.com/research/The-Psychology-Of-Bullying

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Tags (2)
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

When stones are thrown

Message 5 of 5

Something I find interesting is the posters who throw stones regarding someone's education level.  I don't spell so great, but I do recognize poor grammar and punctuation.

In the case where this type of pointing occurs, one would think the posters would be very careful about their grammar and punctuation.

Just my humble opinion.

Soosie

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors