Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: When can a "Bad Word" be used in free speech?

Message 1 of 40

But I hate cancer so much, that the f word is about all that fits.

That's about the size of it.

Let people decide if the " bad word  " is appropriate for the protest, not the government.

The whole thing is self regulating, go over the top and the protest becomes counter productive,  and therefore pointless for the " bad word " users.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 40

@FredSmif wrote:

@ManicProgressive 

I have the same reaction you do to "this type" of bumper sticker. Or hat. Or printed tee shirt.

Many such items are not political but gratuitously include offensive language, intending, I suppose, to offend other people and the wearer/bearer thinks is funny. Or maybe they bypass the "wanting to offend" part and just think the item is funny (as we go down the "couth" spectrum).

My post originally had 3 paragraphs of discussion on how I am not prudish but that such displays ... "offend me" is not correct, but they certainly lead me to think less of the person displaying them. Then I deleted that long discussion almost immediately after posting and just left it at the factual comments.

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@FredSmif wrote:

A case (no case) in Fort Bend County, Texas (suburban Houston) a short while back pretty well addresses your hypothetical. Although it does not involve a one-time protest, speech, etc.

A couple in Texas had custom stickers made for their truck " 'F-' Trump and 'F-' you for voting for him "

I find that to be very vile and vulgar; I hate bumper stickers like that. But I agree they shouldn’t be banned because of our freedom of speech. And I’ve seen MANY that say vile things about Muslims. Still think they are free speech.

Same. I think less of the person. Although @ChasKy53 ‘s example of “cancer sucks,” I fell differently about that. I’ve seen “**bleep** cancer” shirts, which is even harsher. But I hate cancer so much, that the f word is about all that fits.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 40

@ChasKy53 wrote:

I often wear a pin that is two inches in diameter that says "CANCER SUCKS" and have never had anyone tell me to remove it, including the law.

I think the "S" word has passed from vulgarity to accepted speech. Probably happened around the years around 1980 based on my observations.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 40

@ManicProgressive 

I have the same reaction you do to "this type" of bumper sticker. Or hat. Or printed tee shirt.

Many such items are not political but gratuitously include offensive language, intending, I suppose, to offend other people and the wearer/bearer thinks is funny. Or maybe they bypass the "wanting to offend" part and just think the item is funny (as we go down the "couth" spectrum).

My post originally had 3 paragraphs of discussion on how I am not prudish but that such displays ... "offend me" is not correct, but they certainly lead me to think less of the person displaying them. Then I deleted that long discussion almost immediately after posting and just left it at the factual comments.

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@FredSmif wrote:

A case (no case) in Fort Bend County, Texas (suburban Houston) a short while back pretty well addresses your hypothetical. Although it does not involve a one-time protest, speech, etc.

A couple in Texas had custom stickers made for their truck " 'F-' Trump and 'F-' you for voting for him "

I find that to be very vile and vulgar; I hate bumper stickers like that. But I agree they shouldn’t be banned because of our freedom of speech. And I’ve seen MANY that say vile things about Muslims. Still think they are free speech.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 40

Can a government law enforcement officer tell me to remove it because children could be present?

In my opinion no.

If you bring children to a political protest it's unreasonable to expect to protect them from political speech because they're children.

Children, the law, and the Constitution should not be used that way, it circumvents the intent of the First Amendment, which is political protest.

Free speech for political protest is more important then censorship, particularly when anyone can search any word or image on the phone they've carried with then since they were young children.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 40

@GailL1 wrote:

Well, OK, then - seems we have a consensus -

Now which one of you should I call, if I get locked up when I decide to take a stand and wear profanity garb. to a protest?

I doubt you'd need bail money if arrested for that. Assuming you have a clean record, you'd probably just get a recog bond, provided the judge doesn't dismiss the case entirely from the bench. Make sure at least one button has the phrase "Honor Your Oath".

https://work.chron.com/cops-oath-22507.html

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 40

@GailL1 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@ManicProgressive 

OK - gotcha - so no place where some private entity can make the rules.

Now what about at a protest at a public place ?

Can government's - local, state or federal - not make rules of conduct there pertaining to language or appropriate attire meaning with words or perhaps pictures since I assume both would fall under free speech?

It's always something.  Should trump have been allowed to say "grab 'em by the **bleep**"?

My thread had NOTHING to do with Trump - I am asking a question about using words ( spoken, written or worn ) of an obscene nature during a public protest or event - are they covered under our 1st amendment rights?

My question has to do with the control of government - local, state or federal - over what words, spoken, written or pictorial, might be prohibited or not during a public event such as a protest?

I often wear a pin that is two inches in diameter that says "CANCER SUCKS" and have never had anyone tell me to remove it, including the law.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 40

@GailL1 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@ManicProgressive 

Can government's - local, state or federal - not make rules of conduct there pertaining to language or appropriate attire meaning with words or perhaps pictures since I assume both would fall under free speech?

It's always something.  Should trump have been allowed to say "grab 'em by the **bleep**"?

My thread had NOTHING to do with Trump - I am asking a question about using words ( spoken, written or worn ) of an obscene nature during a public protest or event - are they covered under our 1st amendment rights?

My question has to do with the control of government - local, state or federal - over what words, spoken, written or pictorial, might be prohibited or not during a public event such as a protest?

Trump making statements is public is a public event, just as a protest is. Should trump be allowed to use rhetoric in speeches that promotes violence?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 40

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@ManicProgressive 

Private conversations are not regulated (yet).

Should trump be allowed to use speech in public promoting violence?

How is that related to "grab 'em by the **bleep**"???

How is that answering my question?  Should trump be allowed to use speech in public promoting violence?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 40

Well, OK, then - seems we have a consensus -

Now which one of you should I call, if I get locked up when I decide to take a stand and wear profanity garb. to a protest?

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views