Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: When can a "Bad Word" be used in free speech?

Message 21 of 40

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I don’t think you’ll have much luck getting obscene words banned in public. On the flip side of reproductive rights, we had the late term abortion clinic here in Germantown MD, where Dr. Carhart practiced. My youngest son’s dentist and one doctor were in the same office park. I took him one day for an appointment when he was about four, and protesters were there with huge pictures of aborted fetuses marching up and down the street.  There’s another group who does it every Saturday morning near a Planned Parenthood clinic in Rockville. Same pics. 

Even my uber liberal county and state governments don’t try to ban that, and instead recognize free speech protections.

I am not trying to get anything banned.

I just want to know if law enforcement can tell me to remove something that bears the "F-word" or any other profanity or deemed profaned at a public protest.

I have encountered those pro-life pictures too -  In fact, they crop up here in just regular open air shopping mall parking lots- to my knowledge there is no relationship in the protest and the area - but there may be, I don't know.  It does seem like the commercial or private complex could put forth rules to discourage these types of depictions - but maybe not -  

Guess we might be talking about the same thing here.  Are we?

Could I go to that same professional complex and wear  "F-word" attire?

• A hat that says ( "F-word" MEN )
  • or a shirt that says ("You 'F-word" me but I decide the end result"). 
  • Or a button that says ("Don't F-word me again")
* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 40

I don’t think you’ll have much luck getting obscene words banned in public. On the flip side of reproductive rights, we had the late term abortion clinic here in Germantown MD, where Dr. Carhart practiced. My youngest son’s dentist and one doctor were in the same office park. I took him one day for an appointment when he was about four, and protesters were there with huge pictures of aborted fetuses marching up and down the street.  There’s another group who does it every Saturday morning near a Planned Parenthood clinic in Rockville. Same pics. 

Even my uber liberal county and state governments don’t try to ban that, and instead recognize free speech protections.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 40

@GailL1 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@ManicProgressive 

OK - gotcha - so no place where some private entity can make the rules.

Now what about at a protest at a public place ?

Can government's - local, state or federal - not make rules of conduct there pertaining to language or appropriate attire meaning with words or perhaps pictures since I assume both would fall under free speech?

It's always something.  Should trump have been allowed to say "grab 'em by the **bleep**"?

My thread had NOTHING to do with Trump - I am asking a question about using words ( spoken, written or worn ) of an obscene nature during a public protest or event - are they covered under our 1st amendment rights?

My question has to do with the control of government - local, state or federal - over what words, spoken, written or pictorial, might be prohibited or not during a public event such as a protest?

Your Thread Has Everything To Do With TRUMP

You set the Parameters

"I am asking a question about using words ( spoken, written or worn ) of an obscene nature during a public protest or event - are they covered under our 1st amendment rights?"

"My question has to do with the control of government - local, state or federal - over what words, spoken, written or pictorial, might be prohibited or not during a public event such as a protest?"

TRUMP IS INVOLVED IN MORE PUBLIC RALLYS SPEECHES PROTESTS TWEETS & FAACEBOOK POSTS THAN ANY OTHER HUMAN ON THE PLANET

1. Trump is the President of the USA - Formerly Known as the Leader of the Free World

2. In the past American Presidents set the Moral Tone for what was considered - "Civlilized Debate"

3. All US Presidents are responsible for the US Justice System - they appoint the Judges that will eventually determine the Legal Answers to the Questions you've posed to this group

All US Presidents - Prioritize What Laws That Affect Our Social & Cultural Identity Should be Most Aggresivley Pursued

You Know ................You Guys Elect A Guy Like Trump - But You Never Think About The Impact Electing Someone Like Him Has On These Kinds of Issues You've Raised in this Thread

And then because you don't like the Reality when it hits

You want to try and exclude him from the Discussion - when in Fact he has more Control both Legally Implicitly & Explicity over the end result than anyone else alive

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 40

@rk9152  Your comment of "Private conversations are not regulated (yet).", I dare ask how does the new norm of the surveillance programs put into play (known as Patriot Act/American Freedom Act)???

Now, if I understand it...we actually lost that right (4th Amen) once this law was enacted by the government being access to all our "digital footprints", no? Still, we see how many times that has not been proven to stop violence/murder/terrorism/drug trade/human trafficking, no?

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@ManicProgressive 

Can government's - local, state or federal - not make rules of conduct there pertaining to language or appropriate attire meaning with words or perhaps pictures since I assume both would fall under free speech?

It's always something.  Should trump have been allowed to say "grab 'em by the **bleep**"?

Private conversations are not regulated (yet).

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 40

@gruffstuff wrote:

Government can, but I don't think it should. That puts government in the position of deciding what is appropriate  pertaining to a right that is intended to protect protest against the government.

Government can do what it wants, a charged person can take it to court and fight it all the way to the SCOTUS, and they might win if the court is sympathetic to free speech at that time in history.

Still going through that process is itself an impediment to free speech.

I think I am asking a pretty simple question here - Thak you for trying to stay on the topic - which others don't seem to be able to do.

Let me see if I can ask it more specifically -

I am at a reproductive rights rally at some high ranking government building (local - state - or federal), in front of it or even inside of it -

• I wear a hat that says ( "F-word" MEN )
  • or a shirt that says ("You 'F-word" me but I decide the end result"). 
  • Or a button that says ("Don't F-word me again")

Can a government law enforcement officer tell me to remove it because children could be present?

What do children have to do with 1st amendment rights?

I can wear it, I think, but the media cannot even report on what the attire actually says - so how far does this type of free speech get you if trying to make a point meaning spreading exposure.

So again my question is when at a public protest, can you use profanity to get across a point - in actual speech, or in attire or signs?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 40

Sometimes you have to speak their "native tongue" to get their attention.  Boy, oh boy, you want to get their attention use their language against them.....see what it does!

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@ManicProgressive 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 40

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@ManicProgressive 

My thread had NOTHING to do with Trump - I am asking a question about using words ( spoken, written or worn ) of an obscene nature during a public protest or event - are they covered under our 1st amendment rights?

My question has to do with the control of government - local, state or federal - over what words, spoken, written or pictorial, might be prohibited or not during a public event such as a protest?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 40

Should trump be allowed to use speech in public promoting violence?

All rights have limits.

You can't shout fire in a crowded theater and you can't use speech that will directly incite violence in an imminent way.

Trump and Republicans are more subtle then that, they use key words,  phrases, imaginary, and memes that speak to the violence of the dark web normal people would need a Nazi code book to understand. 

Globalist Jew for example. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 40

Government can, but I don't think it should. That puts government in the position of deciding what is appropriate  pertaining to a right that is intended to protect protest against the government.

Government can do what it wants, a charged person can take it to court and fight it all the way to the SCOTUS, and they might win if the court is sympathetic to free speech at that time in history.

Still going through that process is itself an impediment to free speech.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 40

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@ManicProgressive 

Sad to say, but the GOPerBase not only accepts that lil donny SAYS it, they cheer wildly that he DOES IT! 

Seeking decency in ANYTHING Trump is a quest doomed to failure.

Kudos
Views