If you suspect you're a scam target, AARP's fraud helpline is here for you. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: When The Story Takes a Twist

Message 61 of 125

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

And you have NO IDEA what the subject of the posts' life was like, yet some Christians judge and condemn as if their view is more relevant than others without understanding the facts of the matter.

This has nothing to do with Christians or religion but is a political discussion. 

It has everything to do with Christians not acting as Christians.  Miss Abrams demonstrated far mor Christian like behavior than many faux-Christians do.

Thanks for your input.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 125

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

And you have NO IDEA what the subject of the posts' life was like, yet some Christians judge and condemn as if their view is more relevant than others without understanding the facts of the matter.

This has nothing to do with Christians or religion but is a political discussion.  And while you are posting scriptures you might remember the Pharisees and Sadducees in their discussions with Jesus.  When someone that hasn't been exhibiting Christian principles in their posts suddenly starts attacking the religion of others one must be suspect.  Besides it is easy for non-religious persons to look up scripture.

As far as discussing Abrams life, one must remember that she is a politician and her speech was geared towards a favorable impression.  Anyone who has been around for a while should know to take politician's speeches with a grain of salt.

As far as that speech there is still the question of why her mother would sit at home while her husband had to walk 30 miles in the rain.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 125

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

It was an attempt for you to have empathy for another person who has not had precisely identical experiences and resources to your own. The appropriate context is “broken down car or had transportation go less than perfectly.”  The latter of which is exactly on point. The former was meant to help you see another unexpected way transportation plans can go wrong.  I will not bother anymore assuming empathy is possible here.

You have no idea of what sort of experiences I have had in my life. 

"Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves." -Romans 12:9-10 

“Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” -Colossians 3:12 

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 125

@ManicProgressive wrote:

It was an attempt for you to have empathy for another person who has not had precisely identical experiences and resources to your own. The appropriate context is “broken down car or had transportation go less than perfectly.”  The latter of which is exactly on point. The former was meant to help you see another unexpected way transportation plans can go wrong.  I will not bother anymore assuming empathy is possible here.

You have no idea of what sort of experiences I have had in my life.  And probably longer than many here where we've experienced our ups and down, including one year when an unexpected check meant Christmas for our kids.

I would believe that I grew up with those who had a rougher life than she.  One friend that I consider a benchmark for being poor.  From a sharecropper's family living in a tarpaper shack insulated with openings that let in the cold.  He lost his shoes one fall, or they were stolen, and he attended school in the winter in the snow and ice.  But never complained. 

The teachers of the small two room school pooled money to buy him not only shoes and socks which they convinced him and his family to accept.  At the time I never considered how fortunate I was to grow up in a family that wasn't in that situation.

As far as transportation, we have had our problems here in south Texas where there is no public transportation, and work and shopping is distant.  And we haven't always had one vehicle, but we made arrangements.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 125

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Again, she picked him up.  If you’ve never had a broken down car or had transportation  go less  than perfectly, count yourself very lucky. 

Didn't see anything mentioned about a broken down car, etc.  Can you fill in the gaps?  And yes, we've had broken down cars.  The last time was when my wife was coming home from work in the middle of no-where...in the days before cell phones were popular...several men stopped and got her car running.  That weekend we went and bought a new car, and made ourselves afford it.  Those days were long past..the last vehicle we bought a few years ago was  brand new where we paid cash.

Abrams story still seem strange in spite of the spin being put on it here.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 125

@Soosie wrote:
That’s the point. I didn’t ask you. I asked TxGrandpa.................................Sorry, I thought it was directed to me. I apologize for getting it mixed up.

Thank you for an apology. I don’t feel it needed an apology. That’s not to take away from your apologizing because as another poster pointed out, that’s rare. I did think your post was insulting gay people, so I apologize for responding flippantly to that.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 125

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Some right wingers seem to have a hard time keeping up with the simple posting system here!

What is the 'simple posting system' here? 

Is it that one can only reply to a post if it's directed to them, or is it as it has ALWAYS been here where anyone can reply to a post?  Or is it that one has to be liberal orientated to reply to posts?  

That's random, I wasn't responding to your post.

TxGrandpa has asked this question a couple of times, so will you or someone answer?  I'd like to know also.

It seems like the political discussions have turned out to be trash talk on Pres Trump instead of real 'discussion'.  And of course there aren't any links to facts that back anything up (no Snopes doesn't qualify) so a lot are just venting.

One thing that's obvious.  There seems to be a lot of well-balanced posters...they have a chip on each shoulder.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 125

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

People who don’t lie generally think others are telling the truth. People who lie all the time assume everyone is lying.  But maybe it’s because Trump has taken lying to an entirely new level, you just assume politicians all lie.

Where does Trump fit into this discussion?  Besides he is not under discussion here.

And who are you accusing of lying?  There are some who looks past the words people write or say at what they are actually saying.  From what I have seen in many posts here there is an attempt among some to cloud the truth to fit their political opinions.

Looking at Abrams background I have to take what she said with a grain of salt.  Remember also she is also a politician. 

I have no respect for Mz Abrams after the way she disrespected  Gov Kemp because she lost the election in Georgia.  And she was not qualified to speak after that SOTU (but then maybe no one was).

"Where does Trump fit into this discussion"?  He doesn't but Liberals have Pres Trump living in their heads 24/7 for 2+ years so it's all they think of.  Life should be better than that.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 125

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

What makes you think he didn’t? Did you have an answering machine back then? I sure didn’t. Did your wife sit at home all day watching TV? I sure don’t.

No she didn't.  Both of us have worked for years up until I retired.  For years we only had one vehicle until we could afford two, and the second one was an older model that wasn't dependable.  But as I have posted we made sure the other had transportation to work and neither had to walk or hitchhike in the rain.  Here in our part of Texas things are far between.  My work here was 15 miles one way, no public transportation like in metropolitan areas such as Washington.

It is interesting that when one liberal says something the rest take it as gospel truth.

True.  And they call Conservatives a 'clan'?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 125

@Soosie wrote:
That’s the point. I didn’t ask you. I asked TxGrandpa.................................Sorry, I thought it was directed to me. I apologize for getting it mixed up.

You're a classy lady Soosie to apologize.  That's something I don't think I've seen before on here.  Everyone should learn how to apologize if they make a mistake.

As far as Mz. Abrams, I think much less of her than I did before.  Yes she said she "accepted" the results, but I never heard that she conceded or called Gov. Kemp which is usually the norm.  In my opinion she was a poor example to speak after the SOTU...but maybe better than the alternative(s).

Kudos
Views