Rethink your job search with the AARP job board. Find opportunities for experienced workers today.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: When The Story Takes a Twist

Message 101 of 125

@oceanedge2 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@Soosie wrote:
I spent three hours driving one kid around yesterday.....When my dad died and his insurance only paid the two policies he had for our education.....we went without lots of things.....We walked.....My Mom ran in whatever the weather.....The reason I know low income can rise above.....I did it......I am not indebted to anyone.....I hate the "yeh butts" from people always trying to show that once in poverty there is no way out...... Fortunately I was married to a man who believed our son was both our responsibility.....My Son's Dad died..... My Son is taking part in some things his Dad believed in, one of them a hospital for children with disabilities.....

None of this has to do with your meme mocking Abrams’ parents. If you were low income, you should have empathy for them. It makes it doubly remarkable that you don’t. She had two working parents who both went on to get masters degrees. They did everything you think they should do. What in the world is your problem with them?
In my very strong opinion (not asked for):  Attempting to establish superiority over a black family who also struggled.  Her struggles are valid, theirs are not. Possibly what is sought is for black families to adopt "Do I regret...." suffering a lifetime of being demeaned for the color of my skin? Well naturally.  The meme is to counter that reality by inforcing the deserved status of inferiority  Your suffering is nothing compared to the fully illustrated, awful and traumatic suffering I knew.
Just my thoughts.  The poster either will or will not not answer, "What in the world is your problem with them?"  It would take a measure of honesty.
Some of these answers are deep, really deep.
So your meme was just a shallow joke at others expense?  The target of your ridicule understands your motives more than you do yourself, or are willing to admit to.  It is discouraging (& pathetic) to see that her successes cause you so much pain.

Well said. I have been trying to figure out why people feel morally superior to others based on achieved income.  That seems to be the wrong question. Your view seems more logical.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 102 of 125

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@Soosie wrote:
I spent three hours driving one kid around yesterday.....When my dad died and his insurance only paid the two policies he had for our education.....we went without lots of things.....We walked.....My Mom ran in whatever the weather.....The reason I know low income can rise above.....I did it......I am not indebted to anyone.....I hate the "yeh butts" from people always trying to show that once in poverty there is no way out...... Fortunately I was married to a man who believed our son was both our responsibility.....My Son's Dad died..... My Son is taking part in some things his Dad believed in, one of them a hospital for children with disabilities.....

None of this has to do with your meme mocking Abrams’ parents. If you were low income, you should have empathy for them. It makes it doubly remarkable that you don’t. She had two working parents who both went on to get masters degrees. They did everything you think they should do. What in the world is your problem with them?
In my very strong opinion (not asked for):  Attempting to establish superiority over a black family who also struggled.  Her struggles are valid, theirs are not. Possibly what is sought is for black families to adopt "Do I regret...." suffering a lifetime of being demeaned for the color of my skin? Well naturally.  The meme is to counter that reality by inforcing the deserved status of inferiority  Your suffering is nothing compared to the fully illustrated, awful and traumatic suffering I knew.
Just my thoughts.  The poster either will or will not not answer, "What in the world is your problem with them?"  It would take a measure of honesty.
So your meme was just a shallow joke at others expense?  The target of your ridicule understands your motives more than you do yourself, or are willing to admit to.  It is discouraging (& pathetic) to see that her successes cause you so much pain.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 103 of 125

@alferdpacker wrote:

@oceanedge2 wrote:

You'll never make it as a comedian.

That stuff appears to come from Russian trolls and bots...

Gotta love that Facebook (or Twitter or   [insert social media of of your choice here] ).   They offer all sorts of 'meaningful insights' to share and ♥.  Russia hit a gold mine here.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 104 of 125
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 105 of 125

Shame on those who attack her life and family , but turn your back on all the lies from the White House. Maybe more of us should have grown up with only 1 car.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 106 of 125

@Soosie wrote:

If you only have one car, whoever does kid transport gets the car. I spent three hours driving one kid around yesterday, for all his school and activities. I’m sure you did too. Right? It’s usually the mom. Or did you just watch a lot of TV? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,When my dad died and his insurance only paid the two policies he had for our education, we went without lots of things, one being a car. We walked. My Mom ran in whatever the weather to meet a ride to go to a job. She had not had to work before. We had food, shelter and clothes on our back. The two policies paid to get us through high school.. It was after I earned my own income that I went to college. When I was married and my son was small part of the time we had one car, but worked it out so that everyone had the transportation needed. It was after my husband took a management job that we had two used cars. I hate to make this post about my past, but some here seem to only see things from their own perspective. The reason I know low income can rise above this with education and determination is because I did it. Do I regret having to pay my own way? Heck no. I am not indebted to anyone. I hate the "yeh butts" from people always trying to show that once in poverty there is no way out. There is. Get up and do it! By the way, if you think driving the kid as you refer to him or her is only a mom's job, that is very sexist. Fortunately I was married to a man who believed our son was both our responsibility. My Son's Dad died in Sept. It is hard for him because even though we had divorced, we were parents together and he was a super good, involved Dad. My Son is taking part in some things his Dad believed in, one of them a hospital for children with disabilities. He lost his Dad and his best friend. I also lost a friend who would have done anything to help me if needed up until the end of his life.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 107 of 125

@Soosie wrote:
What makes you think he didn’t? Did you have an answering machine back then? I sure didn’t. Did your wife sit at home all day watching TV? I sure don’t..................................Since I am a straight female, I have never had a wife.

That’s random.  I wasn’t responding to your post.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 108 of 125
What makes you think he didn’t? Did you have an answering machine back then? I sure didn’t. Did your wife sit at home all day watching TV? I sure don’t..................................Since I am a straight female, I have never had a wife.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 109 of 125

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Hey, Soosie said maybe she was watching TV. I said maybe he missed a carpool. Neither was mentioned by Abrams. Both are conjecture. Soosie thinks the worst and I think the best. That’s all. 

Sure!!!  And he didn't call to make arrangements to be picked up?  She let her husband walk home in the rain?  Doesn't sound right.

What makes you think he didn’t? Did you have an answering machine back then? I sure didn’t. Did your wife sit at home all day watching TV? I sure don’t.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 110 of 125

If you only have one car, whoever does kid transport gets the car. I spent three hours driving one kid around yesterday, for all his school and activities. I’m sure you did too. Right? It’s usually the mom. Or did you just watch a lot of TV? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,When my dad died and his insurance only paid the two policies he had for our education, we went without lots of things, one being a car. We walked. My Mom ran in whatever the weather to meet a ride to go to a job. She had not had to work before. We had food, shelter and clothes on our back. The two policies paid to get us through high school.. It was after I earned my own income that I went to college. When I was married and my son was small part of the time we had one car, but worked it out so that everyone had the transportation needed. It was after my husband took a management job that we had two used cars. I hate to make this post about my past, but some here seem to only see things from their own perspective. The reason I know low income can rise above this with education and determination is because I did it. Do I regret having to pay my own way? Heck no. I am not indebted to anyone. I hate the "yeh butts" from people always trying to show that once in poverty there is no way out. There is. Get up and do it! By the way, if you think driving the kid as you refer to him or her is only a mom's job, that is very sexist. Fortunately I was married to a man who believed our son was both our responsibility. My Son's Dad died in Sept. It is hard for him because even though we had divorced, we were parents together and he was a super good, involved Dad. My Son is taking part in some things his Dad believed in, one of them a hospital for children with disabilities. He lost his Dad and his best friend. I also lost a friend who would have done anything to help me if needed up until the end of his life.

Kudos
Views