Explore your flexible work options with AARP's Flexible Work Online Expo from 2-5 p.m. ET Tuesday! Register now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: When Rape is Reported

Message 1 of 10

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

A problem has been stated by Berkowitz that does indeed need addressing. However, it is more complex than "hold a grudge and get back at him later". Particularly when memory fails and the potential of the wrong guy exists. That, as in the case of Ford, just sets you up for  exploitation (again).

Also, definitions are so important. Example, two drunk people "have at it". The next day she has second thoughts - is that rape?

"Date rape" - they do their thing, he calls her the next day and things go on mutually beneficial. On the other hand, suppose he doesn't call and two weeks later she feels used and reports it as rape. The event was exactly the same but one is called date rape and the other isn't.

Yes, something should be done but it isn't as simple as just report it or requiring that the claim be accepted as true "because she said so".

I honestly wish I knew the answer. I don't but I do know that the "quick, emotionally driven solution" usually is not the right one.

So, you prefer to ignore the topic and take it in another direction.  Is that correct?

So, try reading it again.

No ty.  This topic isn't about a "misunderstanding". By thanks for the offer.  

It is, after all, your topic. One would think you'd like some discussion.  If you'd like to create a topic on date rape, why don't you?  Nothing stopping you.

O.K. since it is your topic, what restrictions are you putting on it - grabbed in the street and taken behind a tree and nothing else? 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

A problem has been stated by Berkowitz that does indeed need addressing. However, it is more complex than "hold a grudge and get back at him later". Particularly when memory fails and the potential of the wrong guy exists. That, as in the case of Ford, just sets you up for  exploitation (again).

Also, definitions are so important. Example, two drunk people "have at it". The next day she has second thoughts - is that rape?

"Date rape" - they do their thing, he calls her the next day and things go on mutually beneficial. On the other hand, suppose he doesn't call and two weeks later she feels used and reports it as rape. The event was exactly the same but one is called date rape and the other isn't.

Yes, something should be done but it isn't as simple as just report it or requiring that the claim be accepted as true "because she said so".

I honestly wish I knew the answer. I don't but I do know that the "quick, emotionally driven solution" usually is not the right one.

So, you prefer to ignore the topic and take it in another direction.  Is that correct?

It is, after all, your topic. One would think you'd like some discussion.  If you'd like to create a topic on date rape, why don't you?  Nothing stopping you.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

I agree that there should be standards as to when anyone can call and say that they have been raped or sexually harassed.

As always the pendulum is on the extremes and eventually it will go back to the center.

There are a lot of things that need to happen. 
like there should be no discussion as to who is telling the truth ,Only the facts should be taken into consideration.

The time in which females were not believed is hopefully passing. and now and from this time on. females should report on a timely basis whenever any of these things happened. 

and for the law and our society   to  pause and evaluate the facts.

When rape is reported. all efforts to prove the facts  should be taken into consideration  and women be prepared to provide the necessary facts. 
The definition of rape needs to be clarify.  what is rape, ? when rape happens?    necessary questions need to be asked.
I don't know if I have covered what I feel is necessary  in most of these cases. 
But  a start is necessary.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

That's it - there are no questions to be asked about any claim? Is it all black and white to you with no nuances?

It is, after all, your topic. One would think you'd like some discussion.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

When Rape is Reported

Message 7 of 10

Centrist, I've read studies where they said only 1 out of every 3 rapes are reported to law enforcement. I don't know how they figured out who was raped but was afraid or ashamed to report it. But it's been well known in law enforcement for decades, that the overwhelming majority of rapes are never reported to law enforcement.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

@rk9152 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

When Rape is Reported

Message 10 of 10
WHEN RAPE IS REPORTED
“I felt like I shouldn’t have reported it.”
like I was the one being investigated.” defeated, kind of hopeless.” blamed.”

WHEN RAPE IS REPORTED “I felt like I shouldn’t have reported it.” like I was the one being investiga...

A fello poster opined yesterday that they blamed victims of rape for not reporting rape to the police suggesting most rapists were repeat offenders and by reporting rape, they'd get the offenders off the street.  Makes sense, but the argument doesn't hold water as reflected in this very well researched and soon-to-be award winning article.

If you have the time, read it. Those with a beating heart will be horrified.

And if one thinks Minnesota is the exception, consider this fact....

Graphic demonstrating that out of 1000 rapes, 994 perpetrators will walk free. Out of every 1,000 rapes, 310 are reported to the police, 57 reports lead to arrest, 13 cases get referred to prosecutors, 7 cases will lead to a felony conviction, 6 rapists will be incarcerated.

The Vast Majority of Perpetrators Will Not Go to Jail or Prison

Kudos
Views
Replies