Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: What's Your Opinion ?

Message 22 of 49

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@myexper wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

But back to Columbus, he did come across what was considered by Europeans a New World, revisionist history aside. 

Europeans came to North America hundreds of years before Columbus!

Unless none of our ancestors were European, one might say that his opening up an age of exploration is the reason a good majority of us is here. 

Otherwise our 'grand' parents would never have met. 

As many Americans my age, my grandparents met in Europe .... no thanks to Columbus!

It's ludicrous to assume that only Columbus could have landed here. Eventually, some other European explorer would have landed in what is now America.

For that reason we owe Columbus.

That's kinda like saying we owe Hitler for discovering severe brutal torture and efficient extermination of people!!!

I had no doubt that some wouldn't read my post with their own bias. 

No bias ... rather facts that negate what you'd like to believe!

My ancestors came here in the mid-1600s on my father's side, and in the late 1700's on the maternal side from different countries. I have traced their circumstance how both migrated to where my parents met.  If not for the settling of this continent they would never had met, or existed, if not for Columbus.

Non provable conclusion  ....

You say your grandparents met in Europe.  And your parents?  If they met here, then my post applies..they would have never met if Europeans had not settled this country.

Another non provable unsupported conclusion that makes no sense.

Of course Vikings, etc, had landed here before Columbus for visits,

Just "visits" ...?  How do you know that?

And Europeans like the Knights Templar escaped European persecution and established settlements in North America long before Columbus.

but it was Columbus who started European exploration

Wrong, the Vikings and Knights Templar started European exploration.

and settled these continents.

Wrong again .... The Knights Templar built "settlements" in what is now Canada.

The remark about Hitler has no connection with the discussion. 

When Columbus exhibited the same ruthless behavior as Hitler, it most certainly "connects with the discussion"!

Besides perhaps you should research the tortures of the ancient world, especially that of the Romans who burned Christians alive.

Yeah .... The Romans were also brutal and ruthless ... just like Columbus!

Your comment that eventually some other European explorer would have landed in what is now America is pure speculation

No .... Conclusion based on the historical fact that other Europeans arrived in North America hundreds of years before Columbus!

since Columbus was the incentive to spark exploration.

Wrong again ...... MONEY was the incentive to spark speculation!!!

Denials was anticipated.   If someone went back in time and prevented Columbus making his journey to this hemisphere, this forum and the posters might not have existed. 

Absurd .... Statues and holidays falsely honoring Columbus "would not have existed"

The facts are that his journey opened up widespread exploration.

No ....The facts are that Columbus engaged in brutal torture and mass killing of indigenous Americans .... slaughtering the REAL people who discovered America!!!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 23 of 49

@myexper wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

But back to Columbus, he did come across what was considered by Europeans a New World, revisionist history aside. 

Unless none of our ancestors were European, one might say that his opening up an age of exploration is the reason a good majority of us is here. 

As many Americans my age, my grandparents met in Europe .... no thanks to Columbus!

It's ludicrous to assume that only Columbus could have landed here. Eventually, some other European explorer would have landed in what is now America.

That's kinda like saying we owe Hitler for discovering severe brutal torture and efficient extermination of people!!!

I had no doubt that some wouldn't read my post with their own bias.  My ancestors came here in the mid-1600s on my father's side, and in the late 1700's on the maternal side from different countries. I have traced their circumstance how both migrated to where my parents met.  If not for the settling of this continent they would never had met, or existed, if not for Columbus.

You say your grandparents met in Europe.  And your parents?  If they met here, then my post applies..they would have never met if Europeans had not settled this country.

Of course Vikings, etc, had landed here before Columbus for visits, but it was Columbus who started European exploration and settled these continents. 

The remark about Hitler has no connection with the discussion.  Besides perhaps you should research the tortures of the ancient world, especially that of the Romans who burned Christians alive.  

Your comment that eventually some other European explorer would have landed in what is now America is pure speculation since Columbus was the incentive to spark exploration.  

Denials was anticipated.   If someone went back in time and prevented Columbus making his journey to this hemisphere, this forum and the posters might not have existed.  The facts are that his journey opened up widespread exploration.

The mistake a lot of politicians make is forgetting
they've been appointed but thinking they've been anointed.
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 24 of 49

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

There it is... a Hitler reference.... like clock work, Godwin's law at work. 

A law that consists of an evasion from "When the shoe fits ..... "!

Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly

Message 25 of 49

They're decoys and you took the bait.... Duck Dynasty!

Liberals are nuttier than squirrel poop
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Message 26 of 49

Fish,  If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks a duck

It's probably a duck.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 27 of 49

OscarE has a great suggestion for creating a National Indigeneous Day...a step in the right direction, overdue,

and potentially deleting Columbus Day, the more I’m hearing about Chris, the more that I believe that we should not be honoring him, nor do we owe anything to honor a cruel person. 
And if we want to have some more impact concerning holidays...let’s create a National Election Voting Day...another step in the right direction. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly

Message 28 of 49

There it is... a Hitler reference.... like clock work, Godwin's law at work. 

Liberals are nuttier than squirrel poop
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 29 of 49

Considering that Columbus was  a brutal exterminator of human life, I'd be OK with changing Columbus Day to Ground Hog Day .... or any other kind name that replaces someone we NEVER should have been honoring in the first place!!!

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 30 of 49

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards.

Solve your favorite crosswords on AARP Games to earn AARP Rewards points. Try your hand at the Daily Crossword, the Mini Crossword, and Let’s Crossword, the new member game you can play with family and friends. Play Now.

Top Authors