Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Re: What's Your Opinion ?

Message 41 of 49

The Knights of Columbus is just a men's club: which has discriminated against women, blacks, etc. for 

years.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 42 of 49

Would you be in favor of replacing Columbus Day with Juneteenth as a federal holiday ?

I would make Juneteenth a federal holiday and replace MLK day and Columbus Day

Then create a new holiday, call it  day or recognition or whatever and put MLK day and Columbus Day, and anyone one else we want to honor under that.

Make the new holiday the  first Friday in August or something, make it a three day weekend in the summer.  People could have cookouts to celebrate being Italian,  Native American,  the first moon landing,  the first kiss, whatever.  

Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Message 43 of 49

Ok let's clear the air. Columbus did not discover America he landed in present day Dominican Republic. My Ancestors first appeared here 14,000 years ago We discovered America. To honor someone because he landed by mistake in what he thought was the West Indies ( hence the name Indians) is ridiculous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After all the mistreatment of my Ancestors and the racist crap I've endured because I'm Native American let's scrap Columbus day for Indigenous Day. While we're at it let's free Leonard Peltier !!!!!!!!

Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 44 of 49

Anyone read a good biography of Columbus? Who he was; what he did? I have. Columbus Day must go. I don't care what you replace it with, if anything. 

91 Days
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 45 of 49

Indigenous People's Day.  Many cities already do that. 

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 46 of 49

@GailL1 wrote:

Would you be in favor of replacing Columbus Day with Juneteenth as a federal holiday ?

Wait a few years and then float the idea again.  If not for Columbus popularizing the "New World" none of us would be here (possibly not being born as our ancestors would probably never have met), except for the Native Americans.

The mistake a lot of politicians make is forgetting
they've been appointed but thinking they've been anointed.
Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly

Message 47 of 49

Not in favor of "replacing". Maybe the Knights of Columbus would have something to add. 

Liberals are nuttier than squirrel poop
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 48 of 49

In a heartbeat. Here is an idea. Make it a holiday for 10 years and mandatory to change it to celebrate another event. 

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

What's Your Opinion ?

Message 49 of 49

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a health tip to share or a health question to ask?

Check out the Health Tips discussion board today!

Top Authors