Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's Wrong With Being Conservative?

Message 11 of 22

@umbarch64 wrote:

See....problem is that some, not all you understand, claiming to be conservatives really are not.what that means. Those who do that unknowingly have to be considered ignorant at some level.  Those who do it knowingly have to be doing it deliberately with full intent to deceive.  What they say, why they say it, when they say it, how they say it where they say it and to whom they say it doesn't matter much.  An intentional falsehood made with deliberate intent to deceive is a lie is a lie is a lie. That's a comment about actions without attribution to any one particular person or group of people.  

If anyone chooses to crawl in under that umbrella, so be it.  I suppose you could also say if the shoe fits, and it suits you, go ahead and wear it. Your decision whoever you might happen to be.

What is your definition of a Conservative except someone who doesn't lie?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 22

@CriticalThinking wrote:

"what is "acceptable" Conservatism to you?"

• Fiscally conservative
  • Low Taxes
  • Death Penalty applied only applied when there is an iron clad confession (not a police induced phony confession) and/or scientific evidence, as in DNA
  • Keep the government out of our lives unless it's necessary
  • Do away with Affirmative Action
  • Compromise and work with those who disagree with me
  • Acknowledge we are part of a global community

Sounds good. Except I'd lean more towards the evidence than the confession.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 22

@bkohatl wrote:

Nationally known Libertarian and Conservative John Stossel illustrates the point better than anything else I can think of. All during the Hurricane Katrina Disaster in 2005, he excoriated the US Government for helping the people in its wake. Basically, Republican Stossel said, it is your problem, shut up. Now, the punchline, in 2012 when Hurricane Sandy hit New Jersey. Mr. Stossel has a vacation house in New Jersey? Now guess who was among the first to apply, very quietly, for aid from the Federal Government. Yes, the man who was nothing but cold-blooded to the 100,000's suffering from Katrina, sought as a millionaire to be the first at the trough for his very expensive vacation home. That is the way it always works. I would love to meet a "Conservative" who would say the former, but not do the latter. 

White supremacists, white nationalists, alt-right, KKK, Nazis, Birchers, Libertarians, etc, etc, are also unquestionably conservatives who - just like trump - suck.

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 22
limbauh/fox/hannity /tea party conservatives. the party of no. if people need something, call em losers. perpetuate the class war. I remember when republican didnt do that. before hate radio, consevative was a brand of Republican. Now, most self called conservatives are acolytes of hate and divisive speech.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 22

See....problem is that some, not all you understand, claiming to be conservatives really are not.what that means. Those who do that unknowingly have to be considered ignorant at some level.  Those who do it knowingly have to be doing it deliberately with full intent to deceive.  What they say, why they say it, when they say it, how they say it where they say it and to whom they say it doesn't matter much.  An intentional falsehood made with deliberate intent to deceive is a lie is a lie is a lie. That's a comment about actions without attribution to any one particular person or group of people.  

If anyone chooses to crawl in under that umbrella, so be it.  I suppose you could also say if the shoe fits, and it suits you, go ahead and wear it. Your decision whoever you might happen to be.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

What's Wrong With Being Conservative?

Message 16 of 22

"what is "acceptable" Conservatism to you?"

• Fiscally conservative
  • Low Taxes
  • Death Penalty applied only applied when there is an iron clad confession (not a police induced phony confession) and/or scientific evidence, as in DNA
  • Keep the government out of our lives unless it's necessary
  • Do away with Affirmative Action
  • Compromise and work with those who disagree with me
  • Acknowledge we are part of a global community
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 22

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Being conservative used to be a good thing. Unfortunately, today's Republican Party is dominated by right wing radicals who refuse to work with the Dems to make this a better country.

I am and have been for many moons a believer in the basic concepts of Conservatism. When I express them here I am called Nazi, fascist, Kluxer, racist, etc. etc. etc. 

So, what is "acceptable" Conservatism to you?

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 22

Nationally known Libertarian and Conservative John Stossel illustrates the point better than anything else I can think of. All during the Hurricane Katrina Disaster in 2005, he excoriated the US Government for helping the people in its wake. Basically, Republican Stossel said, it is your problem, shut up. Now, the punchline, in 2012 when Hurricane Sandy hit New Jersey. Mr. Stossel has a vacation house in New Jersey? Now guess who was among the first to apply, very quietly, for aid from the Federal Government. Yes, the man who was nothing but cold-blooded to the 100,000's suffering from Katrina, sought as a millionaire to be the first at the trough for his very expensive vacation home. That is the way it always works. I would love to meet a "Conservative" who would say the former, but not do the latter. 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

What's Wrong With Being Conservative?

Message 19 of 22

Being conservative used to be a good thing. Unfortunately, today's Republican Party is dominated by right wing radicals who refuse to work with the Dems to make this a better country.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 22

Perhaps we could all see that those who annointed themselves 'conservative' are not 'conservatives'.  Haven't been for a very long time.  These folk lie.  They seek to secure and legitimize unfair economic advantage to themselves by any means, fair or foul.  The Nation is not a consideration.  You may have noticed.

Oppressive totalitarian government is an effective way to accomplish that.  Control all aspects of government, if you can, and you control pretty much everything else. That's a 'radical' idea.      

I see little to no evidence there is any smidgen of actual partriotism, that would be adherence to the principles underpinning this Nation, contained in their actions.  Which means they lie about that too.

Now....I guess I don't see liar anywhere at all in Webster's definition of 'conservative'.  Do you?

The truth of that observation is visible every day without fail right here.  

Kudos
Views