What happens if Medicare and Medicaid and Social Security are cut or taken away?

Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What happens if Medicare and Medicaid and Social Security are cut or taken away?

Message 1 of 5
I also joined when I was 50, and I'm 69 now. I feel that without AARP we might have lost Medicare already. We need to do everything we can to hold onto it and not allow it to be taken away.
Sir Granny Tracy
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What happens if Medicare and Medicaid and Social Security are cut or taken away?

Message 2 of 5

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

That’s the whole reason I joined AARP. I wasn’t even quite 50 when I joined here. I’m still in my early 50s.

The financial condition of both Medicare and Social Security worsened over the past year.   Medicare is now projected to be insolvent by 2026.  A big part of that was getting rid of the individual mandate under Obamacare and the Republican tax cut package which cut taxes on certain Social Security benefits.

So who here relies on Medicare and anticipates living 7 more years?

I am on Medicare. I have a blood cancer but am determined to live much longer than 7 more years, God willing. Medicare needs expanded, if anything.

A universal health care plan would solve our problems. A Medicare type plan from cradle to grave in the answer, that's why most all developed nations but ours have Universal Health Care.

I hope so too, ChasKy. 

Universal health care would go a long way toward that whole notion we are all inherently equal, right ?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

@ManicProgressive wrote:

That’s the whole reason I joined AARP. I wasn’t even quite 50 when I joined here. I’m still in my early 50s.

The financial condition of both Medicare and Social Security worsened over the past year.   Medicare is now projected to be insolvent by 2026.  A big part of that was getting rid of the individual mandate under Obamacare and the Republican tax cut package which cut taxes on certain Social Security benefits.

I am on Medicare. I have a blood cancer but am determined to live much longer than 7 more years, God willing. Medicare needs expanded, if anything.

A universal health care plan would solve our problems. A Medicare type plan from cradle to grave in the answer, that's why most all developed nations but ours have Universal Health Care.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

What happens if Medicare and Medicaid and Social Security are cut or taken away?

Message 5 of 5

I receive many email surverys lately and many snail mail surverys too, all inquiring what I feel is most important to correct or save, in the next election. Republicans and Democrats both send me these surverys, all wanting to know what I consider to be my top priority. Being a retired person on a fixed, not very large income, my selfish main concern is what will happen to me if Trump wins again? Will he and his congress take away what is financially important to me and millions of others like me? 

There is no answer to this question, because none of us know what will be done on a daily basis. But this is my main concern and I'm sharing it with you because I'd like to know what your main concerns are?

Sir Granny Tracy
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Now until February 11, play this classic game online at AARP. Get in the game and play now.

jeopardy for aarp logo

Top Authors