Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What dichotomy do you recognize today?

Message 41 of 56

@sp362 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@L42010 wrote:

In this new era post Citizens United, I will add my other two cents,that is nothing in the current environment.

The dichotomy of the US political system that was orginally designed by the "forefathers" with it's, basically, two systems. How this system has progressed into the only politcal policies of either far right or far left.  No compromise of anything in between. But the irony (not sure if it the word I want) is the system was set up to go against a tyranny government rule, no?

Yes, the system was set up to stop a tyrant.  When the US political system was originally designed, they did not envision a two party system, that came later.

That is why they envisioned a limited government, knowing what too much concentrated power could do. It is interesting and often overlooked that they gave only specified power to the central government and everything else to the States to insure that the power was spread thin. We have drifted from that.

Yes, they were afraid of the power of a Federal Government.  However, it became obvious that there was more problem with states trying to deny rights than there was at a Federal level.  That is when the Federal Government's power was increased in order to buffer the States.  If States treated all of their citizens equally (although nobody is really a "citizen" of a state), there would have been no need and no continued need for a more powerful Federal Government.  IMO, the states (especially the Confederate ones) were the cause of the problem and now need to live with the solutions that were needed instead of constantly yelling about "State's rights)

The danger they say was too much power in the hands of the central government. Civil rights was only one relatively small element in the increases in that power. 

What do you expect the Federal Government to do when the real "tyrants" end up being at the State and Local levels?

Only what the Constitution permits. Other than that there is the electorate and the Court system. We really do not need a "Big Brother" watching over every aspect of our lives.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 56

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@L42010 wrote:

In this new era post Citizens United, I will add my other two cents,that is nothing in the current environment.

The dichotomy of the US political system that was orginally designed by the "forefathers" with it's, basically, two systems. How this system has progressed into the only politcal policies of either far right or far left.  No compromise of anything in between. But the irony (not sure if it the word I want) is the system was set up to go against a tyranny government rule, no?

Yes, the system was set up to stop a tyrant.  When the US political system was originally designed, they did not envision a two party system, that came later.

That is why they envisioned a limited government, knowing what too much concentrated power could do. It is interesting and often overlooked that they gave only specified power to the central government and everything else to the States to insure that the power was spread thin. We have drifted from that.

Yes, they were afraid of the power of a Federal Government.  However, it became obvious that there was more problem with states trying to deny rights than there was at a Federal level.  That is when the Federal Government's power was increased in order to buffer the States.  If States treated all of their citizens equally (although nobody is really a "citizen" of a state), there would have been no need and no continued need for a more powerful Federal Government.  IMO, the states (especially the Confederate ones) were the cause of the problem and now need to live with the solutions that were needed instead of constantly yelling about "State's rights)

The danger they say was too much power in the hands of the central government. Civil rights was only one relatively small element in the increases in that power. 

What do you expect the Federal Government to do when the real "tyrants" end up being at the State and Local levels?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 56

That has interesting possibilities. Can you expand on what you mean.

Republican voter obstruction, poll obstruction, election fraud by Republicans, Republican power grabs by state legislative bodies run by Republicans, all direct attacks on liberal democracy.

Democracy managed by big money, corporations,  in which cost effective is the master race, attacks on the " takers ", exploitation of legal and political constraints which defeat the original purpose of the law, the Constitution.

Examples are the power grabs in Wisconsin, Michigan, and North Carolina, election fraud in North Carolina, gerrymandering.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 56

@gruffstuff wrote:

I am curious what others see, feel, hear that are today's dichotomy?

Liberal democracy and inverted totalitarianism.

That has interesting possibilities. Can you expand on what you mean.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 56

@sp362 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@L42010 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 56

I am curious what others see, feel, hear that are today's dichotomy?

Liberal democracy and inverted totalitarianism.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 56

I have been thinking about the Hispanic communities who have undocumented members. When I point out that they have been living, working, paying taxes, and contribution to America for 20+ years in some cases, the right wingnuts always point out "That is all good but they are breaking the law by being here". 

Now we see Trump, his associates, and his family breaking all kinds of laws and we only hear excuses. 

A clear dichotomy. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 56

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@L42010 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 56

@sp362 wrote:

@L42010 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 56

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Call-in Event: Coronavirus: Maintaining Your Well-Being

Ask experts about the coronavirus, learn how to protect yourself, stay connected and cope with stress and anxiety brought on by the pandemic. Join AARP for a special call-in event April 9, at 1:00 pm (EDT).

You can participate by calling toll-free 1-855-274-9507.

Learn more about the event on our Tele-Town Hall page.

Top Authors