AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What are "Christian Values"?

Message 21 of 25

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Would YOU agree with these as "basic" Christian Values?  Are there others you would add or remove?

Of course, those are great values but I do not see how they fit in a political discussion.

You don't need to; it's ok.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 25

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Would YOU agree with these as "basic" Christian Values?  Are there others you would add or remove?

Of course, those are great values but I do not see how they fit in a political discussion.

Sounds like a Pharisee baiting the Christians...  Asks many questions yet refuses to answer two very basic questions.

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 25

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 25

Whether one calls it Christian values or human values, I feel the basic thing one should learn is to treat others as you want to be treated. That is the basic tenet of every religion (with the possible exception of Satanism).

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

What are "Christian Values"?

Message 25 of 25

Thank you all who participated in the recent topic, WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?  Although right from the start several went astray claiming it wasn't their right to judge (the topic had nothing to do with judging or baiting), it was a simple question with no right or wrong answer.  A link was provided and from what I could tell, just a few bothered to read it.  I think it's fair to say most Christians have their own personal relationship with Christ and the differences between each individual may not be significant, but certainly may exist.

I would imagine those differences exist in Christian Values as well.  I've read that "Christian Values" are the values derived from the teachings of Christ.  Would you agree?

I also read these values include:

Explicit directions in the New Testament text include:

• Jesus' enumeration of the intention of the 10 commandments, contained in the sermon on the mount is considered a key component of Christian ethics and a fundamental recipe for Christian conduct for centuries. This large unified text was meant as a counter to the practices of the day that followed the letter of the law but denied the spirit of the law.
  • One of the characteristic contrasts between Christianity and its Jewish roots occurs along the axis of "Law". The Christian holds that for un-redeemed humankind it is impossible to follow any holy law at all, and further holds that only regeneration makes it possible for an individual to start and persist not breaking at least some of the body of holy law. Within this context falls the only letter from the totality of New Testament authorship to the totality of the Christian church on that topic. It is also profoundly important to recognize that these are "placeholders" that refer to Old Testament texts which more completely elaborate what each means. Acts 15:24 enumerates the four things that Christianity requires abstinence from: 1) food sacrificed to idols, 2) blood, 3) meat of strangled animals, and 4) sexual immorality. These all were part of the practices included in the polytheism of Greek and Roman civilizations.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors