Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What a strong federal response looks like

Message 1 of 4

@aruzinsky wrote:

They use fishnets!

I can see how you would get confused about the meaning of "strong federal response" having never seen one from this administration.  No worries, in January Biden will take over the administration and we will see some competence return to the White House. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

Thanks for this interview Rich, I'm glad to have met Ron Klain.

Obama’s Ebola Czar on What Strong Federal Response Looks Like

In 2014, Barack Obama appointed Ron Klain as the White House Ebola response coordinator to fight what was then the world’s biggest health threat.

. he’s a lawyer with deep experience in politics.... he’s still very much a political animal and is serving as an adviser to Biden’s presidential campaign. we will have competent leadership again.”

. I was brought in not because I knew about public health or pandemics but because I had had experience in making the different arms of the government work together and making them work effectively and quickly.

That really was the challenge—coordinating between the different agencies....

. The high-level lessons applicable today are, first and foremost, let the medical experts be the touchstone of the responses—let them be the people who are formulating this strategy, let them be the spokespeople.

In my Ebola team, when public anxiety rose, we had an abbreviation in the office: PTFOTV, which stood for ‘Put Tony Fauci on TV.’ That was our main response on the communications side.

That would be my advice to the Trump administration as well: PTFOTV."

Step away from the camera Mr. President? Could that ever be a voluntary act? Maybe if someone close to him dies from this virus he could reasonably and politically take the opportunity to resign his post so adults could mend the nation without his drama.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

They use fishnets!

You are getting sleepy.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

What a strong federal response looks like

Message 4 of 4

Larry Brilliant, the renowned epidemiologist who helped eradicate smallpox, was asked to name  the one message he would bring to the daily press briefing if he were president. He answered without hesitation: “I would begin the press conference by saying ‘Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce you to Ron Klain … Covid czar.’ ” The article documents Klain's suggestions and a little history of a SUCCESSFUL response to an epidemic. The good news is that Klain is advising Biden on the pandemic so when Trump is ousted in November, we will have competent leadership again. 

It’s well-documented that Trump and National Security Council head John Bolton ended the pandemic response team in the National Security Council. What were the things that that office would have done if it were operating during this current crisis?

At the end of the Ebola response in 2015, after we beat the epidemic, President Obama asked me for my recommendations. One was to create a permanent unit inside the National Security Council to prepare us for future pandemics. He set up that office in 2015. When Trump came in, in 2017, he kept the office in place and put a Bush appointee, a guy named Admiral Timothy Ziemer, who had been a veteran of fighting AIDS in Africa in charge of the office. In 2018, though, when John Bolton took over as head of the NSC, they abolished the office because they thought fighting epidemics and pandemics was a health care thing, not a security thing.

https://www.wired.com/story/ebola-czar-ron-klain-federal-coronavirus-response/?bxid=5cec2ac3fc942d3a... 

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing jen43, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE

Top Authors