Honored Social Butterfly

What Systematic Racism Looks Like....

DETROIT, MI -- When the racist text messages were brought up in court Thursday, Inkster Auxillary Police John Zieleniewski became visibly uncomfortable.

"At least give me the satisfaction of knowing you were out there beating up n*****s right now," said a text sent to Zieleniewski earlier this year. It was read aloud in court.

"LOL," Zieleniewski said in his text response. "Just got done with one."

Zieleniewski works as an unpaid volunteer policeman for the Inkster Police Department. He was the partner of since-fired Inkster Police Officer William Melendez, a 47-year-old charged with assaulting black motorist Floyd Dent, 58, of Detroit, on Jan. 28.

The text message -- as well as six pages of others Wayne County Assistant Prosecutor Robert Donaldson submitted to the court -- did not involve Melendez and were written months after the Dent incident.

Donaldson argued to have them entered into testimony and evidence for the purpose of illustrating Zieleniewski's bias.

Wayne County Circuit Judge Vonda Evans told the jury the messages should in no way reflect on Melendez.

"You don't like black people, do you," is the question Donaldson used to prompt the text-message discussion.

Melendez's attorney, James Thomas -- he represented convicted ex-Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick -- immediately objected and asked to approach the bench.

Evans, before calling recess for lunch, said the messages would be allowed in order to call question to the witness's possible bias.

Dent, after leaving a seedy motel and committing a traffic violation, was stopped, pulled from his Cadillac and thrown to the ground by Zieleniewski. Melendez then placed Dent in a choke hold and delivered 16 bloodying blows to his head and face, dash-cam video showed.

Zieleniewski said Dent was "very aggressive" that night. While being choked, Dent reaches his left arm up toward Melendez's face. While Michigan State Police 1st Lt. Twana Powell, who conducted an independent investigation into the traffic stop, testified Wednesday it appeared Dent was trying to protect himself, Zieleniewski described it differently. He said Dent struck Melendez with an open hand.

Donaldson's questioning seemed to be offering a possible explanation as to why Zieleniewski, who is white, and Powell, who is black, perceived the same video two extremely different way.

The assistant prosecutor asked Zieleniewski whether he ever used racial epithets in his text messages, specifically the word "n****r."

Zieleniewski admitted that he used it between 10-20 times out of nearly 24,000 text messages reviewed by the prosecution.

Both Donaldson and Zieleniewski attempted to talk their way around using the slur out loud.

"N-word," Donaldson said once. Evans, who is black, immediately intervened: "Say it," she said. The attorney obeyed.

"I would never use it toward a certain person or a certain race," Zieleniewski said. "It's an inappropriate word and I understand that, and I apologize that it has to be brought up today in court for unknown reasons."

MLive contacted Inkster Police Chief William Riley.

Riley moved to Inkster from Selma, Ala. in August to take the helm of the department after former Police Chief Vicki Yost resigned amid the Floyd Dent controversy.

"I won't be making any comment," Riley said. "The trial is still going on and at this point it wouldn't be appropriate."

He said Zieleniewski remains an active auxiliary officer with the Department.

Racist texts read at trial of Inkster police officer accused of beating black motorist 

Then, back at the Police Station....

Now, if you care to learn about systematic racism that Larry Kudlow, the idiot aide to the "Racist-in-Chief" Donald Trump claims doesn't exist, become informed and decide for yourself:

What is Systematic Racism?   Don't worry; becoming informed is good for the soul and won't hurt a bit...

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

Just my opinion, but if a white person isn't proactively working to be anti-racist, that white person continues to contribute to systemic racism.  We can't dismantle these favored systems by just accepting them.  

Who proactively purchases from black-owned businesses?

Who proactively mentors black coworkers? 

Who proactively contributes to the political campaigns of black candidates? 

Who votes for black candidates and other candidates of color? 

I got my current job in part because I knew someone and they were a trusted member of the organization.  So when they vouched for me, it meant something.  Somewhere out there is a black person, or other person of color, who is just as good as me, or better, but they don't have the connections I did.    Foster those connections for people of color.  Bring them in to the fold.  Help promote power and invest in them.   That's the only way out of this mess. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/white-antiracist-allyship-book-clubs/2020/06/11/9edcc766-abf5... 

Honored Social Butterfly

@ManicProgressive wrote:

If I purchase something other than from a big-box store or I need a service, I have both

black-owned and white-owned and maybe a few asian businesses from which to pick - I live in a majority black area and have for 30+ years.  I just pick the best business or service provider for the job.

I work with a group of caregivers that have started their own business with me as their consultant - they are doing great for going on 8-years.  They are all black but do hire both white and black other caregivers - who gets to stay and progress, some even come into the ownership group - depends on their work.  They are very hard working women and catch on fast to the ways of business.  I will say that they are tough employers but for caregiving, that is their best quality.  They run a tight ship - many of their employees have been with them for several years - but they cut some lose after giving them a (1) warning.

Most all I have on the ballot are Black candidates - a few with Hispanic-origin, maybe a white candidate sometimes for some position.  I try to pick the best person for the job at hand.  But for the like of me, I don't understand having (6) candidates for Sheriff - what's the appeal?   The Incumbent won, I voted for him - IMO, he has done a good job. 

We have one particular black family here that seems to be setting up a "Kennedy or Bush" type legacy.  For many positions, there is always one of them on the ballot - it has now become a kind of ribbing to them - i.e.  have you got anymore sons, daughters, nieces, nephews, cousins to run for this or that position. 

But that's not all - they own the local funeral home, the local ACE Hdwr, a dance school, a new car dealership - a couple of them are lawyers, a few are teachers and one is a doctor -  there maybe others - these are the only ones that I recognize the connection by last name -

All in all, I would say that there is opportunity for everybody where I live - my direct neighborhood is very diverse.  We are long-time neighbors and I would say that everybody pretty much moved here for the same reason - to get away from city life.   We have some neighbor problems every now and then but it gets worked out.

Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

If I purchase something other than from a big-box store or I need a service, I have both

black-owned and white-owned and maybe a few asian businesses from which to pick - I live in a majority black area and have for 30+ years.  I just pick the best business or service provider for the job.

I work with a group of caregivers that have started their own business with me as their consultant - they are doing great for going on 8-years.  They are all black but do hire both white and black other caregivers - who gets to stay and progress, some even come into the ownership group - depends on their work.  They are very hard working women and catch on fast to the ways of business.  I will say that they are tough employers but for caregiving, that is their best quality.  They run a tight ship - many of their employees have been with them for several years - but they cut some lose after giving them a (1) warning.

Most all I have on the ballot are Black candidates - a few with Hispanic-origin, maybe a white candidate sometimes for some position.  I try to pick the best person for the job at hand.  But for the like of me, I don't understand having (6) candidates for Sheriff - what's the appeal?   The Incumbent won, I voted for him - IMO, he has done a good job. 

We have one particular black family here that seems to be setting up a "Kennedy or Bush" type legacy.  For many positions, there is always one of them on the ballot - it has now become a kind of ribbing to them - i.e.  have you got anymore sons, daughters, nieces, nephews, cousins to run for this or that position. 

But that's not all - they own the local funeral home, the local ACE Hdwr, a dance school, a new car dealership - a couple of them are lawyers, a few are teachers and one is a doctor -  there maybe others - these are the only ones that I recognize the connection by last name -

All in all, I would say that there is opportunity for everybody where I live - my direct neighborhood is very diverse.  We are long-time neighbors and I would say that everybody pretty much moved here for the same reason - to get away from city life.   We have some neighbor problems every now and then but it gets worked out.

This is good and it helps to live in a diverse community.  If every white person went out of their way to patronize a black-owned business, we could help transfer wealth from a population who has been systemically denied wealth.  And even when they have accrued wealth, it has often been taken away.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@ManicProgressiveSpeaking well as a white American. and I understand where you are coming from/  But the other side of the coin when I was getting promoted to managerial jobs. do you realize how many times I heard, Personnel must be getting low on their quotas?
My credentials didn't matter. and many times not even my connections. I  may be as white as you, but I am not seen as a white person.  I am seen as a Cuban. no matter what.

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@ManicProgressiveSpeaking well as a white American. and I understand where you are coming from/  But the other side of the coin when I was getting promoted to managerial jobs. do you realize how many times I heard, Personnel must be getting low on their quotas?
My credentials didn't matter. and many times not even my connections. I  may be as white as you, but I am not seen as a white person.  I am seen as a Cuban. no matter what.

I am very sorry that happened to you.  😞  My general belief is that if you were treated as someone other than white, you likely worked harder to get to where you are than someone who's seen as white did.   And that it's very hard for many white people to recognize that.  So they get jealous. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Just my opinion, but if a white person isn't proactively working to be anti-racist, that white person continues to contribute to systemic racism.  We can't dismantle these favored systems by just accepting them.  

I got my current job in part because I knew someone and they were a trusted member of the organization.  So when they vouched for me, it meant something.  Somewhere out there is a black person, or other person of color, who is just as good as me, or better, but they don't have the connections I did.    Foster those connections for people of color.  Bring them in to the fold.  Help promote power and invest in them.   That's the only way out of this mess. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/white-antiracist-allyship-book-clubs/2020/06/11/9edcc766-abf5... 

Beautifully put, ManicProgressive! And thank you for sharing your personal example, as well as Tre Johnson's.  Whew...

Some might be enlightened by the movie "The Hate U Give"

Honored Social Butterfly

Honored Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking wrote:

This is a great video from Cuomo's brother.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/06/12/closing-argument-systemic-racism-us-economy-kudlow-cp... 

Yes it is, CeeTee!  Chris Cuomo is a rare gem in cable media.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Can we overcome racism? How do we change minds and show the proper respect to all races. Time and thoughtfulness...it can be done, now is the time to be inclusive of others, and do what is right. We are all Citizens of 

Our World. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@williamb39198   It is called EDUCATION  and it stars not only at home but in schools. why  do we have to have a Black history?  Isn't that history also  our American History? why is the separation as if they were  not Americans.?
I have lots of hope that not my generation or probably not my children's generations but my grandchildren's generation will be the ones that will be ready to institute the necessary changes.

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@williamb39198   It is called EDUCATION  and it stars not only at home but in schools. why  do we have to have a Black history?  Isn't that history also  our American History? why is the separation as if they were  not Americans.?
I have lots of hope that not my generation or probably not my children's generations but my grandchildren's generation will be the ones that will be ready to institute the necessary changes.

I don't know at what age you came to the US?  Did you go to K-12 here?   For me at least (I'm 52), black history/native history was not taught in schools as part of the regular history curriculum.  In some states, even incorrect history gets taught (like the Civil War was about states' rights; it was not.).  History is written by the victors, after all.  And different versions of history are used to indoctrinate people into certain belief systems. 

Contrast that to my 7th grader's revamped history curriculum this year, which was incredible.  History was taught from the perspective of the Aztec and Incan empires, and how their cultural legacies live on in modern Mexico, rather than from the European settler perspective, which is all I had learned about. I had no idea there were huge, complex, highly-advanced civilizations here when Spanish conquistadors came here and decimated them through disease and war.    The impact of disease was always an afterthought in the lessons I learned.   Very timely for my son to learn about it now, during Coronavirus.

Then he learned about the Columbian exchange and how part of that exchange was disease and enslavement.  Far different than the romanticized version of Columbus that I had learned as part of units on European explorers.  And he learned how enslaved Africans created their own unique culture here based on what little they could bring with them from Africa, melded with the scraps they were given by slaveholders.  

He was also taught to examine different pieces of primary sources, such as translated accounts from the Aztecs, and those written by the priests who accompanied the conquistadors, and discuss why they differ based on point of view, and how accurate they are based on context and supporting/nonsupporting artifact evidence found from the same time period.  So he is being taught not to just take history books at their word, but to look deeper. 

My oldest three didn't even learn this.   Just him.   It's brand new here.   And since America doesn't have a standard national curriculum, lord only knows what's being taught elsewhere.

So until all history is taught like that, we will need "breakout" units of history to ensure a proper education in all aspects of American history.  Not just European settler history.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ManicProgressive  I don't know where you live but, how amazing that now in your area they are actually teaching American History. (aka "The Continent) I used to get so angry when I used to see what my kids were being taught in school here. they were completely ignorant as to the history of their own Continent. 
The historic events of the conquests of these  amazing empires is something that we should all be proud of. Hoping that what is happening in your area is nationalized and all schools system adopt this.
Now for my own background. I came from a family that valued the knowledge of being at least a bilingual individual. My father was a Pediatrician that cam to the US several times to take courses in hospitals in New York  I was sent to boarding schools from second grade til 7th grade. and then, when the time came to go to a secondary education I chose to come back to Cuba to be able to complete  our "Baccaulerate" in order to enter the university of Havana. Our secondary education is very different that  the HS curriculum here. there are no electives is a fixed  curriculum and it last  5 years. I graduated from the University of Havana with a teaching degree and taught 7th grade for almost two years and in 1961 came to the US  because of our political situation. Here, I went back to school and completed a BS in Business and have other certifications that I obtained in later life. Because of my parents and how they valued knowledge in other cultures, traveling and learning other languages were very important  in my life, I tired to do the same  with my children. 
As a child in school I never encountered any kind of discrimination. therefore was not familiar with that aspect of this society until as a grownup I came to live here.
Since then, I have fought to make sure that my children are not seen as Cuban Americans but only as Americans which is their birth right.  and will continue to do so. I am truly a Cuban American, because, I am a nationalized American. 
Yes, it is time that in the school system , European history is not the only history that is being taught, Amercan (The Contient) history should be taught after all this is our History. we are all  Americans, 

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

Isn't immigration a blessing?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@williamb39198 wrote:

Can we overcome racism? How do we change minds and show the proper respect to all races. Time and thoughtfulness...it can be done, now is the time to be inclusive of others, and do what is right. We are all Citizens of 

Our World. 

Well said, William!  Yes we can overcome racism.  We need to silence racists in our family and society and then teach love to our children.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@williamb39198 wrote:

Our World. 

Well said, William!  Yes we can overcome racism.  We need to silence racists in our family and society and then teach love to our children.

You mean like stopping (silencing) words like these -  racist generalities - lumping a whole race of people into what you think the problem might be - be that black or white or any other color.

Whites are indeed the problem, very few actually live the values of this country, or Christianity for that matter.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@williamb39198 wrote:

Our World. 

You mean like stopping (silencing) words like these -  racist generalities - lumping a whole race of people into what you think the problem might be - be that black or white or any other color.  Yep, just like that.  It's great to see some Whites actually look at themselves to see what they can do to resolve the problem.  When the majority of Americans say racism is a major problem,

Poll: 64 percent of Americans say racism remains a major problem 

and the majority race's initial response is, "well I'm not a racist"; there is a problem.  Clearly most aren't very objective. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

It's funny that the implicit racism test was posted here years ago, and only those self-identifying as Liberal or Centrists self-reported the results and revealed they had racist tendencies.  Not one Conservative, Republican or Libertarian would share, maybe they didn't even take the test.  You can take the test here.  Reporting results is optional:

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

Whites are indeed the problem, very few actually live the values of this country, or Christianity for that matter.  Yep.  Thanks for asking...I do recall one poster saying one can't be racist against their own race.  I'm white and IMO, racism is a problem in the white culture.  I didn't say ALL whites were racists.

My apologies if that view offends others, that's not my intent obviously.  But we ALL need to look inward to solve this 400 year old virus called racism.

White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism  

Why do you think it's so hard for White people to talk about racism?  Do you think it's hard for Asians?  Blacks?  Cubans?  Hispanics?  I don't think it's as hard for them as it is whites.  Do you?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

I didn't say ALL whites were racists.

My apologies if that view offends others, that's not my intent obviously.  But we ALL need to look inward to solve this 400 year old virus called racism.

There is also another word that would connect to your description - SOME

Like you said above we ALL need to look inward to solve this 400 year old virus called racism.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Like you said above we ALL need to look inward to solve this 400 year old virus called racism.

I'm hearing you say, don't include you in to look inward to resolve the country's problem.  Is that correct?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

I'm hearing you say, don't include you in to look inward to resolve the country's problem.  Is that correct?

How in the world did you get that when I even emphasized the WE ALL in your sentence.

Sure, our society has its ills but we all have to work on it and when we can find that common ground that's when change can happen.  I don't lump everybody by race or any other way - we are all just people - with a lot of differences and similarities.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

How in the world did you get that when I even emphasized the WE ALL in your sentence.

Sure, our society has its ills but we all have to work on it and when we can find that common ground that's when change can happen.  I don't lump everybody by race or any other way - we are all just people - with a lot of differences and similarities.

Clearly we are talking past each other....I agree "we all" have to work on it, but I'm not going to point my finger at other races, but my own. I also don't lump everyone by race; when I say something is a white problem, I'm not saying ALL whites, but I am saying whites in general, a lot of whites, most whites, a bunch of whites, a gaggle of whites, a herd of whites; but never ALL whites.  Thank you in advance for trying to understand the difference.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010  The  blacks in this country are not the only ones that get discriminated . I have no doubt that the color of your skin makes a difference as to the amount of violence that you  may receive.
But as far as discrimination  and its practices., I can not count the ways in which I have been discriminated  in this US just by being Cuban.
So, is not just the police is  the citizens and it is the culture and the lack of acceptance that the so called "whites" in the US see others.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@Centristsin2010  The  blacks in this country are not the only ones that get discriminated . I have no doubt that the color of your skin makes a difference as to the amount of violence that you  may receive.
But as far as discrimination  and its practices., I can not count the ways in which I have been discriminated  in this US just by being Cuban.
So, is not just the police is  the citizens and it is the culture and the lack of acceptance that the so called "whites" in the US see others.

Yes.   This is true.   For almost all measures of social wellbeing, outcomes by race are (from top to bottom):

white

Asian

Hispanic/Latino

black

Systems are set up to benefit whites the most.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@Centristsin2010  The  blacks in this country are not the only ones that get discriminated . Of course not.  I don't think anyone suggests that's the case.  Racists and bigots are at ease spewing their hate at anyone.  I have no doubt that the color of your skin makes a difference as to the amount of violence that you  may receive.
But as far as discrimination  and its practices., I can not count the ways in which I have been discriminated  in this US just by being Cuban.  Or a woman...
So, is not just the police is  the citizens and it is the culture and the lack of acceptance that the so called "whites" in the US see others.  Yep!  Whites are indeed the problem, very few actually live the values of this country, or Christianity for that matter.

Honored Social Butterfly

Systematic racism looks like Trump and all his racist hate mongering rhetoric!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png