AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What South Carolina Has Stepped Up To Do For Federal Workers

Message 1 of 22

@Soosie wrote:
My state is actually paying the federal workers during the shutdown

This is great! Kudos to your state. During 2008 when the bottom fell out for many industries in my area, some of us drew unemployment for an extended period. I had never had to do this before. I can look back now and see it as a positive time because I went back to school, then worked some in Nursing Homes because I thought the medical field was for me. I was wrong. I got my insurance license, but I longed for the type of employment I loved. I toughed it out and was thrilled when the Internal Recruiter called me to say my background matched an opening with the company I now work for. It is a good company with great benefits.

I love California! And I'm really excited about our new governor and his plans for our great state.

Yes, times were really tough during the recession and a lot of people had to take advantage of the extended unemployment benefits that were part of Obama's American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. It helped so many people and I'm glad that you can look back and see it as having a positive effect on your life.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 22

This is great! Kudos to your state. During 2008 when the bottom fell out for many industries in my area, some of us drew unemployment for an extended period. I had never had to do this before. I can look back now and see it as a positive time because I went back to school, then worked some in Nursing Homes because I thought the medical field was for me. I was wrong. I got my insurance license, but I longed for the type of employment I loved. I toughed it out and was thrilled when the Internal Recruiter called me to say my background matched an opening with the company I now work for. It is a good company with great benefits.
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 22

@Soosie wrote:

I was sure of what S. C. would do to help Federal Workers in need.  I knew it would take a few days for it to be properly organized.  Here in S. C. we believe in helping our own.  On the local news I am starting to hear of drop off places to leave items needed to help Federal Workers.  I am getting a list of needed items, checking the closest drop off point and will make a contribution.

Just wondering, has this started happening in other states?  Can anyone post what your state is doing?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 22

Food Not Bombs has been bringing all sorts of supplies to the native Americans. We have been working with other groups to increase the effort.  Glad people are pulling together. This is what makes America Great. 

Nancy

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 22
You his lawyer?

"The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile "
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 22

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@mandm84 wrote:

He wont be able to dump that fracking mud in my State , because we dont want our land contaminated. 

What do you heat your house with (in NY)?

What someone heats their home with doesn't justify fracking or dumping the mud in their state.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 22

@mandm84 wrote:

He wont be able to dump that fracking mud in my State , beacuse we dont want our land contaminated. 

What do you heat your house with (in NY)?

"The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile "
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 22

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@Soosie wrote:
‎01-17-2019 07:17 AM
It’s everywhere. ..........................What????? I'm sorry, I am not following this post.

All places that have significant numbers of federal workers are all doing the same thing.

Yes they are and the shame of it is that they only have to because of our Moron in the White House.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 22
‎01-17-2019 11:19 AM
I have a son who's an Air Traffic Controller. He has savings from his earlier jobs, but he is working another job during the shutdown. Drives a semi delivering slurry (fracking mud) to NG fields. Not sure he can keep it up for long working two full time jobs. How smart of him to get his A licence when he could as a "back up".

He's a Marine (no such thing as an ex Marine), so Marines get it done, they always have a plan B.

........................................This is what I talk about when I say one should prepare for unexpected things that happen to us. No one has a guarantee of things always being as they are now. Kudo's to your son for planning and being so smart to have a back up plan. I do. I didn't always, but was caught in a closing and realized it was up to me to keep my situation level. Sometimes I have had two back up plans.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 22

He wont be able to dump that fracking mud in my State , beacuse we dont want our land contaminated. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors