Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What Is Hate Speech?

Message 11 of 22

So, to try to delineate further:

If I speak in a derogatory manner about a person’s race, that “could be” considered hate speech?

If I speak in a derogatory manner about a political party, that “would not be” considered hate speech?

However, if I speak in a derogatory manner about a person because of their political views, is that hate speech, or not considered hate speech?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 22
personally I call it demeaning ridicule myself Mick.
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 22

@Panjandrum wrote:

mickstuder: 

Then why is painting a Swastika considered Hate Speech?

It's an ancient religious icon in the cultures of Eurasia

It should simply be considered Art or Religious Speech

Oh wait I know - Because the Jewish Lobby has so much Political & Cultural Power in the USA they can even corrupt the essence of our Justice System

You forgot the point that it's a symbol identified with Hitler's murderous regime that had the goal of exterminating all Jews. Jews aren't the only ones who look at the swastika and immediately associate it with hate. Whatever it's origins may be, it became the logo of Nazi Germany and all it stood for.

So what?

The Christain Crucifix The Cross as a Symbol of Christianity is responsible for as many Deaths if not more than the Nazi's

Again, if I paint a Cross on the property of Atheists - if I paint a Cross on the homes of those who are Decendents of the Victims of the Crusades

Why am I not considered just as Evil?

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 22

CriticalThinking:   Do other people misconstrue the purpose behind the term "hate speech"? Yes, and that's why I started this thread. Just because somone uses the term, doesn't mean they're application of the term is correct.

Exactly. One way it's incorrectly used is to call something "hate speech" as a sort of backdoor way of shutting someone up who has said something a person doesn't like.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 22

mickstuder: 

Oh wait I know - Because the Jewish Lobby has so much Political & Cultural Power in the USA they can even corrupt the essence of our Justice System

You forgot the point that it's a symbol identified with Hitler's murderous regime that had the goal of exterminating all Jews. Jews aren't the only ones who look at the swastika and immediately associate it with hate. Whatever it's origins may be, it became the logo of Nazi Germany and all it stood for.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 22

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Mick asked, "SO WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN  HATE SPEECH AND HATE CRIME - IS THERE"

Hate Speech is a term generally accepted as derogatory, abusive comments directed at groups based upon gender, race, ethnicity (characteristics one is born with), and sometimes religion. Hate speech NOT illegal. 

Hate Crimes are codified in the law which provide for extra punishment if it meets the criteria for a hate crime  For example:

• Mick assaults someone and is convicted and given the maximum sentence of let's say 10 years. 
  • Mick assaults somone, but in this case, it meets the criteria of a hate crime, Mick can be sentenced to more than the maximum of 10 years. 

Ok Thanks

When Trump and People on this Forum refer to Elizabeth Warren as Pocahontas

What is that?

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

What Is Hate Speech?

Message 17 of 22

Mick asked, "SO WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN  HATE SPEECH AND HATE CRIME - IS THERE"

Hate Speech is a term generally accepted as derogatory, abusive comments directed at groups based upon gender, race, ethnicity (characteristics one is born with), and sometimes religion. Hate speech NOT illegal. 

Hate Crimes, unlike Hate Speech, are codified in the law which provide for extra punishment if it meets the criteria for a hate crime  For example:

• Mick assaults someone and is convicted and given the maximum sentence for assault of, let's say 10 years. 
  • Mick assaults somone, but in this case, it meets the criteria of a hate crime, Mick can be sentenced to more than the maximum of 10 years. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 22

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Hate Speech in America provides protection for race, ethnicity, gender, and on occasion, religion. It does not provide protection for political parties and political preferences. 

Do other people misconstrue the purpose behind the term "hate speech"? Yes, and that's why I started this thread. Just because somone uses the term, doesn't mean they're application of the term is correct.

As for free speech, not all speech is considered free speech in America. There are restraints on that consititutional freedom.

If I paint a Swastika on a Synagogue - I'm charged with a Hate Crime - the Swastika is considered Hate Speech

No Wonder there is Confusion '

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oklahoma-woman-arrested-after-allegedly-spray-painting-swastikas-messages...

Swastikas, and symbols in general, must be evaluated in the context in which they are used. In order for something to qualify as a hate crime, California law requires a nexus between the crime and the target.

For instance, a swastika scrawled outside of a known Jewish person’s home, on a synagogue or on the classroom door of the only Jewish teacher in a school would likely meet this threshold. In the case of the swastika spray-painted in the middle of a Montecito street, however, there was no way to determine the specific target of the crime. Therefore, as Joyce Dudley, Santa Barbara’s District Attorney, explained to concerned community members, it could not be prosecuted as a hate crime.

Source - https://santabarbara.adl.org/responding-to-hate-in-our-community/

AGAIN - IF i PAINT A CHRISTAIN CRUCIFIX ON THE HOME OF A ATHEIST - IS THERE THE SAME TREATMENT

SO WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN

HATE SPEECH AND HATE CRIME - IS THERE

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

What Is Hate Speech?

Message 19 of 22

Hate Speech in America provides protection for race, ethnicity, gender, and on occasion, religion. It does not provide protection for political parties and political preferences. 

Do other people misconstrue the purpose behind the term "hate speech"? Yes, and that's why I started this thread. Just because somone uses the term, doesn't mean they're application of the term is correct.

As for free speech, not all speech is considered free speech in America. There are restraints on that consititutional freedom.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 22

Gender, Race, and Ethnicity

The Swastika predated Nazi's - it should be No More Offensive Then Painting the Christian Crucifix which is also a Symbol from the past that to some represents Hate Death and Human Rights Attrocities

Hate Speech is Impossible to Define so that a Average Reasonable Person in the USA could recognize it simply by it's usage

No One Knows the Intent of the Person - it's just another opportuntity for Politically Powerful Groups and Organizations to pick & choose - Good & Evil

As long as I'm not invading the Physical Space of another - Causing Physical Harm - I should be able to say whatever I want - express myself in whatever way I want

Others have every right to condemn what they find offensive but they should not be able to enforce some legal penalty or punishment - thats just plain manipulation by the Politically Powerful

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views