Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What Is Hate Speech?

Message 1 of 22

@jimc91 wrote:

Webster:  Legal Definition of hate speech

: speech that is intended to insult, offend, or intimidate a person because of some trait (as race, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, or disability)

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hate%20speech

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==

Seems pretty straight forward and simple...

Indeed, it IS pretty straight forward and simple, yet some hijack the definition for their own small-minded, self-serving purposes.  For example calling out racist behavior is not hate speech, by definition, but some seem to falsely claim, without explanation it's related to as you say, race, religion, sexual orientation, national origin or disability.  It's clearly a lack of integrity displayed by those who call this "hate speech".  It's synonymous to calling out rapists and being cited for "hate speech .  Of course those making the bogus and false claims are unwilling and unable to defend their cowardice......so it goes.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 22

@mickstuder wrote:

@Panjandrum wrote:

mickstuder: 

Then why is painting a Swastika considered Hate Speech?

It's an ancient religious icon in the cultures of Eurasia

It should simply be considered Art or Religious Speech

Oh wait I know - Because the Jewish Lobby has so much Political & Cultural Power in the USA they can even corrupt the essence of our Justice System

You forgot the point that it's a symbol identified with Hitler's murderous regime that had the goal of exterminating all Jews. Jews aren't the only ones who look at the swastika and immediately associate it with hate. Whatever it's origins may be, it became the logo of Nazi Germany and all it stood for.

So what?

The Christain Crucifix The Cross as a Symbol of Christianity is responsible for as many Deaths if not more than the Nazi's

Again, if I paint a Cross on the property of Atheists - if I paint a Cross on the homes of those who are Decendents of the Victims of the Crusades

Why am I not considered just as Evil?

What on earth leads you to believe you are not evil for committing those hateful acts you describe?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 22

@jimc91 

In the definitions, where does political fall? Or even listed? Many discussions on this board are political in nature. 

When speaking in opposition of trump, some claim that others are being hateful

because they do not support trump...

how does that square up? And why is that hateful?

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

What Is Hate Speech?

Message 4 of 22

Here's the real Webster Definition of Hate Speech

speech expressing hatred of a particular group of people

Here's another definition
abusive or threatening speech or writing that expresses prejudice against a particular group, especially on the basis of race, religion, or sexual orientation.

Federal Hate Crime Laws
The U.S. Congress criminalized hate crimes committed on the basis of race, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity, gender, and gender identity, and sexual orientation.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 22

Then I suppose to some it's not quite so simple and straight forward...  

College campuses are supposed to be a place for "thought" but instead seems to have turned into places of indoctrination.

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 22

Webster:  Legal Definition of hate speech

: speech that is intended to insult, offend, or intimidate a person because of some trait (as race, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, or disability)

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hate%20speech

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==

Seems pretty straight forward and simple...

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 22

A couple of thoughts. Hate seems to be deep seeded, and probably took a long time to become that way. And is it used as hate speech, because there can be found no reason to think logically or with compassion, or is it just an excuse because one cannot, does not want to think beyond the end of their nose, or take the time to learn or understand. 

But a real sad part about hate is that it takes a whole lot of energy to hate and act it out. What if that energy were used to do something positive...might that make a difference in the life of the person and those around them...it sure seems like it would!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

What Is Hate Speech?

Message 8 of 22

I think so William.

We have a group of forum members who repeatedly attack Liberals, but if you say anything negative about Trump, they attack you describing you as part of a hate group. Is that personal? Is that hate speech? I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. They should be free to post their opinions.

But I do know they have a huge double standard. Anything goes with their non-stop attacks on liberals, but nothing is acceptable when it comes to criticism of Trump.

Is the word hateful "hate speech". I don't think so.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 22

@CriticalThinking 

Add in a variation 

4.a. If someone calls another hateful because of disagreement of political views?

4.b. Or hateful because of claims of another being racist, only because they brought up the subject of racism?

Or is that disrespectful, or a total lack of courtesy. 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

What Is Hate Speech?

Message 10 of 22

William asked 3 questions.

1. If I speak in a derogatory manner about a person’s race, that “could be” considered hate speech?

2. If I speak in a derogatory manner about a political party, that “would not be” considered hate speech?

3. However, if I speak in a derogatory manner about a person because of their political views, is that hate speech, or not considered hate speech?

---------------------------------------------

1. YES. They have no control over their race.

2. NO, it would not be "hate speech". In fact, the reason we have a political forum is to disagree with and critiicize other political groups. I have no idea why they describe that as "hate speech". That's the primary reason I started this thread. Describing and/or disagreeing with a political party or group is NOT hate speech. It's part of the debating process in a political forum. We should be free to say party X or Y is whatever.

3. It's not hate speech, but it could be construed as a violation of the TOS.

There's a difference between attacking one's political position or positions, which is perfectly fine, versus attacking them as an individual. Unfortunately, we have some members of this forum, who take any criticism of their politics personally. When you disagree with them, or criticize their political positions, they take it as a personal attack. They do not understand the purpose and the nature of a poltical debating forum.

Kudos
Views