Rethink your job search and find opportunities for experienced workers with the AARP job board.

Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What Hurricane Do You Remember Most?

Message 11 of 22
The price tag on the Blizzard of '77 was about 300 million dollars. And that was 40 years ago.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 22
The price tag on the Blizzard of '77 was about 300 million dollars. And that was 40 years ago.
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 22

Agnes, when I was 5. We lived next to a river, below the dam, and had no money to evacuate.  My grandmother lived on the other side of the river. We were worried about her, too.  And she came to stay with us because we were a little higher up from the river.  They opened the dam, it didn't break, but the waters were high enough to destroy the bridge near our house, flood the local pool, and kill several who lived on the river.   The pool was restored but the bridge never was.

Isabel in Annapolis. That flooded much of the downtown area near the docks. People were kayaking up and down the streets.   It is an area of great wealth and was rebuilt almost immediately.

I lose power in them all. But so far, no house damage.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 22

@mimi0000 wrote:

I've not been in a Hurricane but I was stranded in the Blizzard of 1977 for 5 days in my office at the point where Lake Ontario and Niagara River meet.   My  11 year old daughter was home alone  20 miles away,  My husband was stranded in the Chicago airport. My son was driving a VW back from college.  He was missing for 5 days.   The State police called each time a frozen body to assure me it was not my son and they were still searching for him. It was 5 days before we were all back together and safe. 

I can only begin to relate the fear people in these Hurricanes are experiencing. My heart goes out to all of them.

That is terrifying!  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 22

Superstorm Sandy, the end of October 2012. We've probably all heard descriptions of high winds that sound like a freight train .. and it really sounded just like that. Although I'm on the Jersey shore, I'm on a hill, so I wasn't worried about flooding, but the winds took down 5 trees .. thankfully none landing on the house. Before the storm, they suggested people stay in a "room without windows", during the worst of the storm, but I just lined the floor of my walk-in closet with the couch seat cushions, figuring I'd sleep in there if I had to!

I was really lucky that the the summer of 2011, Hurricane Irene left nearby areas without power for a week, so the end of 2011 I had a whole house emergency generator installed, and even without network utility power after Superstorm Sandy, it was comfortable in my house. Without cable, I caught up on my reading!

A few days afterwards I was on the highway, and it was reassuring to see convoys of utility trucks from all over the country, coming to help us. We had a crew from Detroit Edison replacing utiity poles & transformers, in my immediate area.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 22

@mimi0000 wrote:

I've not been in a Hurricane but I was stranded in the Blizzard of 1977 for 5 days in my office at the point where Lake Ontario and Niagara River meet.   My  11 year old daughter was home alone  20 miles away,  My husband was stranded in the Chicago airport. My son was driving a VW back from college.  He was missing for 5 days.   The State police called each time a frozen body to assure me it was not my son and they were still searching for him. It was 5 days before we were all back together and safe. 

I can only begin to relate the fear people in these Hurricanes are experiencing. My heart goes out to all of them.

Might that be what we called the WHITE HURRICANE? i know that was the blizzard of 78. it has its own facebook page. Im in SW Mich, and was buried for a week. 77 also lol

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 22

I volunteered along with 7 members from my church,2 other Presbyterian churches from WNY area to go on a Gulf Mission trip,first week in Jan 2006.Our local Presbytery sent our group of 20 to D'Iberville,Mississippi,population 10,000,half of residents lost everything .The town was devestated by the remnants of both Katrina&Rita. I had seen the pictures on TV,but to see it up close in person was mind boggling.  

The majority of the residents, were so grateful/happy for our help. At lunch one day, 2 ladies I was eating with said'thankyou all for coming you are our angels'.The only discouraging part was learning the 2 agencies these people depended upon in a time of crisis,The Red Cross &Salvation Army never showed up,they went to New Orleans instead.One of the residents told us '2 local churches Presbyterian&Baptist 'helped us in our time of need'

I'm glad I went,we bonded with the residents and our other group members,who I didin't know. I came back a different person .This experience did something to me emotionally,so I couldn't go on future trips. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 22

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 22

Carla, in '61. I was 4, and we'd just moved from Fourth Street to our new house on Third. I remember getting out of my old man's 1-ton welding truck and seeing nothing but water. I remember sitting in the den of our new house, windows boarded up, and hearing the storm pass. Every other storm after that was just a rainstorm.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 22
Im not in the "zone", but Katrina. I remember hearing it was so devastating word of the disaster was slow in coming out.
So it begins.
Kudos
Views