From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What Does the Democratic Party Stand for Now? Good Question.

Message 11 of 14

@jimc91 wrote:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

After losing more than 1000 seats in government it would appear that Americans no longer believe the democrats.  Why is that?

As a Republican and as you all know, there are many things that I don't agree with the Party. but, I can say that I could never become a Democrat and why.
I truly believe that they are the most disorganized party in existence, they have no idea on how to win elections. they never spend the money properly at times of elections.
they never really vet properly their candidates. and they have completely lost the idea on why they used to be a valuable party in this country.

Their ideas and so called policies are all over the place.  There is no coordination as to what is their message they allow partisanship into their policies and politics and completely have disregarded what middle Americans   who  have always beem the heart of the Democratic Party
They have  disproportionately taken care of any minority                                       with  the lack or understanding and the amount of time that they need to pay attention to that middle American  that have been the heart and soul of the Democratic Party.
If they ever understand any of this they will be able to win elections in the future. Until that time only a catrastophic event will actually be the one that makes the Democratic Party be in charge again.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 14

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
As a "former" democrat, now as non party affiliated voter, I could tell you what drew me and many others to the democratic party. When I looked at those in the party (locally) they were my people. They worked like me, they had the same struggles as me, they fought like me for our nation. I saw them in church, at school events, HS football games in the stores, the restaurants, they were Americans like me, in every sense of the word. Some of us went off to college together and many more of our kids did too., that gave us comfort. We talked, we agreed and disagreed, we were friends. We had BBQ's together at social and political events along with a few beers, we participated at the county fair and our kids enjoyed it. We had parades on memorial day, fourth of july, labor day veterans day and a few local corny events. We knew each other. Most of all, we really cared about each other, beyond words and good intentions. We didn't need a platform, it was us. The democratic party was always there. Not any more.

That's gone, and forgotten and we're mostly condemned as gun toting Bible banging deplorables. Of course there is now a whole new political vocabulary aimed at us but I'm OK with that. Those words full of venom are still cheers at home.

... just sayin'

@Fishslayer777,   Ok... So what happened?  Why is the party no longer there? (to use your words)  Over what time period did this happen?

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 14
As a "former" democrat, now as non party affiliated voter, I could tell you what drew me and many others to the democratic party. When I looked at those in the party (locally) they were my people. They worked like me, they had the same struggles as me, they fought like me for our nation. I saw them in church, at school events, HS football games in the stores, the restaurants, they were Americans like me, in every sense of the word. Some of us went off to college together and many more of our kids did too., that gave us comfort. We talked, we agreed and disagreed, we were friends. We had BBQ's together at social and political events along with a few beers, we participated at the county fair and our kids enjoyed it. We had parades on memorial day, fourth of july, labor day veterans day and a few local corny events. We knew each other. Most of all, we really cared about each other, beyond words and good intentions. We didn't need a platform, it was us. The democratic party was always there. Not any more.

That's gone, and forgotten and we're mostly condemned as gun toting Bible banging deplorables. Of course there is now a whole new political vocabulary aimed at us but I'm OK with that. Those words full of venom are still cheers at home.

... just sayin'

"The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile "
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

What Does the Democratic Party Stand for Now? Good Question.

Message 14 of 14

I spent the past week in Philadelphia, in the halls and in the stadium of the Wells Fargo Center, for nearly every hour of the Democratic National Convention. I heard more than a hundred speakers, and spoke to dozens of people in the halls. After four days, I am not certain that I know what, precisely, the Democratic Party wants to be.

For the past two days, I put this question specifically to delegates and staffers, to the people who ought to know: “What, at core, is the Democratic message coming out of this convention?”

I got no shortage of answers.

“Justice for all,” said Chad Lupkes, a Bernie Sanders delegate from Washington state.

“A party of inclusion that addresses the issues that families are struggling with,” said Susan McGrath, a Florida delegate for Hillary Clinton.

Calvin McFadden, a delegate from Massachusetts, suggested “equality and opportunity for all,” a fight “for the middle class.”

“What I’ve heard over and over is a party that brings us together, that doesn’t divide us, that’s a forward looking party of inclusion,” said Seth Hahn, a Sanders supporter from New Jersey.

These answers were not all issued with confidence. The delegates I spoke to paused, backed up, rephrased. In each case, they settled on general virtues: justice, inclusion, progress, the idea that the party was not so much associated with a particular program but with goodness itself, with a progressive sensibility that will, on the whole, produce virtuous outcomes.

SNIP

“American exceptionalism and greatness, shining city on hill, founding documents, etc—they’re trying to take all our stuff,” National Review editor Rich Lowry tweetedWednesday night.

Yet on the same night, a DNC video portrayed the party struggling valiantly against all the GOP’s “stuff”—on gun control, on climate change, on health care, even at the risk of costing Obama a second term.

What program, what vision of the United States, can possibly contain all of that? What do the Democrats stand for?

“Nothing,” said one Sanders convention-floor staffer, speaking on condition of anonymity, when I asked what such a large tent stands for. “Whatever you want it to. Whatever you want to hear.”

READ MORE HERE

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

After losing more than 1000 seats in government it would appear that Americans no longer believe the democrats.  Why is that?

VIMTSTL
Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors