Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What Beto Found in Mississippi

Message 1 of 7
Democrats also have to bring out the voters who feel it doesn't matter if they vote or not.
Sir Granny Tracy
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

What Beto found was not a mystery. 

What we continue to see is the cruelty and total lack of compassion by trump towards immigrants. 

What we have mentioned many times, and see continued is that trump does not want to fix a problem which he has helped to make worse...why? He does not want a solution, but wants to intentionally mistreat human beings so that at any time he can bring this up to his base as an ongoing issue to show them how mightily he is dealing with the immigrants who are “invading” our Country!

Nothing new, just a continuation of a big, big lie by trump. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

The Catholic Charities, the Diocese of El Paso, and a lot of local non-profits have done an excellent job of doing everything that they can to help the immigrant population. They have provided food, clothing, bed and bath, and essentials for traveling to their destination. In some places they get help with English classes. But they have to get to one of those places first.

A lot of those being held in border detention centers have been returned to "wait in Mexico". I haven't seen an update on the border detention centers in a while, but we are getting reports from Mexico, and it is not good.

Congress provided funding to hire more judges and speed up the court process. I haven't seen any signs of that happening either. Trump's goal is to make them wait in Mexico until they give up and go home or go somewhere else. That is also happening as some have been there for months and have decided that they cannot go on.

Immigration has to be a major campaign issue for the D's, along with climate change, health care, jobs / economy, infrastucture, etc . . . after four years of Trump, everything is broken. It will take the next president a four-year term just to do damage control. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

The problem was created in 2016 by 75,000 lethargic Progressives spread among Pennyslvania, Michigan and Wisconsin who gave the Toad 46 electoral votes and the White House by not voting for Hillary.

Now that we all understand the results of refusing to unite behind the Democratic candidate, we know how to keep this from ever happening again, but if Progressives, especially the young ones, sit home in 2020, there will not be another chance in their lifetimes as GOPers will enhance their Gerrymanders and expand their voter suppression and the SCOTUS we allowed tRump to install will make sure there's no legal recourse to rule by the fascist minority.

I agree with that, I think Republicans understand it as well.

This is why Republicans do everything they can to suppress and obstruct Democracy. 

Expect dirty tricks and outright fraud, with the help of foreign actors from Republicans in 2020, counter that with overwhelming numbers. The only way Democrats can make that happen is to bring out young voters. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

The problem was created in 2016 by 75,000 lethargic Progressives spread among Pennyslvania, Michigan and Wisconsin who gave the Toad 46 electoral votes and the White House by not voting for Hillary.

Now that we all understand the results of refusing to unite behind the Democratic candidate, we know how to keep this from ever happening again, but if Progressives, especially the young ones, sit home in 2020, there will not be another chance in their lifetimes as GOPers will enhance their Gerrymanders and expand their voter suppression and the SCOTUS we allowed tRump to install will make sure there's no legal recourse to rule by the fascist minority.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

What Beto Found in Mississippi

Related 

https://time.com/5627056/migrant-detention-centers-donations-policy/?utm_source=reddit.com

Americans Aren't Allowed to Donate to and Volunteer at Migrant Detention Centers. There's No Good Reason for That Policy

Last month, Patty Rodriguez saw a picture online that broke her heart: a young boy wearing aluminum foil as shoes. He had recently been released from a detention center and was at a nonprofit shelter. “He was about my son Oliver’s age, 2 or 3 years old,” she told me.

Rodriguez, the co-founder of the bilingual publishing company Lil’ Libros and a senior producer for On Air With Ryan Seacrest, wanted to help but at first wasn’t sure she could. She knew that facilities run by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) were not accepting donations. She had seen the reports of Clint, Tex., residents showing up with diapers and toys to donate and being turned away. “I thought there was no way to donate and help,” she told me.

After some research, she got in touch with the Humanitarian Respite Center at the Catholic Charities in McAllen, Tex., and was able to send more than 350 pairs of shoes after raising $9,000 through her Instagram account. These donations will undoubtedly be put to good use – asylum seekers who are released from CBP custody to wait as their cases make it through the system, instead of being turned over to Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) for further detention as is the case for many migrants, often have nothing more than the clothes they are wearing. But this doesn’t change the fact that there’s currently no way to get similar items to kids in U.S. government custody in detention camps across America.

Rodriguez isn’t alone in her desire to help, nor was her initial confusion about how to take action unusual. Elora Mukherjee, a professor at Columbia Law School and the director of the university’s Immigrants’ Rights Clinic, interviewed children at the Clint facility in June and was one of the attorneys who spoke out about unsanitary conditions in the facility. She testified before Congress last week that during her visit she observed a colleague ask a CBP lawyer about the possibility of donating hygienic items like toothbrushes and age-appropriate toys like teddy bears. The answer was no.

Terry Canales, a Democratic House representative from Texas, tried to organize help for facilities in the Rio Grande Valley immediately after reports of overcrowding surfaced. “The federal government is often slow to act,” he wrote in a letter to CPB. “It would be a great honor to coordinate with you and local area charities to help provide donations to the children and adults in these facilities.” Hours later, Canales tweeted that CBP responded to his request saying they do not accept donations.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

What Beto Found in Mississippi

Message 7 of 7

Beto restarted his campaign making immigration reform and gun violence prevention the central focus. He stated that he would not be traveling the usual campaign route to concentrate on early voting states. Instead, he pledged to take the fight to Trump wherever justice demands action.

His first stop was Mississippi to find out for himself the effects of the ICE raids. This is the letter that was sent to his supporters. I'm posting it because it clears up a lot of misconception about asylum seekers being a drain on the system. 

I’ve spent the last 24-hours in Mississippi following one of the worst ICE raids in the history of this country. 

Here’s what I saw. 

In Canton, a small community about a half hour outside of Jackson, I met with about 25 women, a couple of men and their very young children. The women are undocumented. Most of the kids are U.S. citizens. Their husbands were all apprehended in the ICE raid and they now have no idea when or if they are going to see them again. They also don’t know how they’re going to pay the rent, afford an attorney, or pay for school supplies. Of those needs, money for rent is most important. All of them mentioned it repeatedly.

An amazing local store owner seems to be the hub of the immigrant community — everyone trusts her, everyone looks to her for help. It was in her store that I met with the affected families. 

One woman, wearing an ankle monitor or grillete said to me, “We have never been a burden. Some people claim that immigrants take public services. I’ve never taken assistance or help in my life. I came here to work, and every day I work. My husband works the night shift, I work the day shift. Now that he’s detained and I’m not working, I have nothing, no way to support my family. I don’t want anyone’s help, I just want to work.”

A young woman, 18 years old, told me about her parents. She told me that they luckily both left the chicken processing plant just before the raid took place. She started to cry when she told me that they are still working, because they have no other choice. She told me she was crying because she doesn’t know if one day when she’s at school she’ll come home to find that they’re gone. They’ve lived here and worked here for her whole life, they’ve raised a strong, smart, caring woman — a U.S. citizen, someone who should be able to focus on her studies, her career, her future instead of worrying about whether her parents will be deported for the crime of working in a chicken processing plant for $12 an hour.  

Nearly 700 families were broken up in these raids. Hardworking, family-focused people.

I went to the home of a young woman who lived on the outskirts of town. She used to sell tamales to the workers at the chicken processing plant. She arrived in this country four years ago seeking asylum, and has been wearing an ankle monitor ever since. It’s heavy, gets hot, irritates her skin, but she’s had it on every day for four years. She’s raising four beautiful children, the oldest of which sometimes helps her to sell tamales. Now that that the immigrants have been rounded up and are no longer working in the chicken processing plants there’s no one to buy the tamales. 

She’s worried that she’ll be deported back to Guatemala or, with no income and no ability to pay the rent, that she will have no other choice but to return. She showed us her scars from stab wounds she suffered when she lived there, and said she had received a call recently from a gang leader in Guatemala who told her that her husband had been murdered for outstanding debts and that the gang wanted her children as additional payment. She is certain that if she returns she will lose them. 

We went to a Catholic church in Forest that was providing help for families torn apart by these recent raids. In addition to the priest and nuns who were tending to the children, there were a number of attorneys from Arizona who had flown in to provide free legal help to the families. They were also helping to take care of the kids. People willing to do this work are my heroes. It doesn’t pay, it’s tough mentally, it’s tough emotionally, but it is so necessary.  

One of the families they were helping was really struggling. I met a dad of a four-month old and a very sweet, polite 11-year old. The father told me that his wife was picked up in the raid and that she is having a hard time in detention. She is depressed, and her breasts are painful and swollen, as she was still breast-feeding when she was picked up. She can’t bond out — I don’t think they’ve even set bond for these families. 

I met another woman at the church. She was in detention for the last week and was only released yesterday when ICE realized that they had also detained her husband at another facility, leaving her children on their own without either parent. She told me about the conditions in the facility, the depression that she felt while she was there, missing her family, not knowing how they were doing. She talked about the day of the raid, one of her co-workers punched in the face by an agent (“he was scared and he started to run, so they ran him down and punched him”). She talked about workers being cuffed and their cuffs tied to ankle restraints, like you’d tie a hog. I asked her how she felt now. She told me “I’m just happy to be with my son. That’s the only thing that matters to me.”

This cruelty, this terror felt by this community of hardworking immigrants, is the policy of Donald Trump. His hope is that he can inflict enough suffering for these immigrants to get them to leave, or perhaps go back to the countries they fled in the first place. He’s trying to show he’s tough by preying upon the vulnerable and the defenseless. 

I came to see it for myself. I am disgusted that we could treat people like this in a country of immigrants. But I’m inspired by the way that people have come together to help these families. 

My hope is that the more America learns about this the more we as Americans will do to change this. As hard as this is to see, I’m glad I came here — glad to be able to bear witness to what is being done in our name to immigrants in this country. And I’m more determined than ever to help lift up the stories of those who are suffering, and the stories of those who are rising up to meet this moment. 

If you’re wondering what you can do, please make a donation to the Mississippi Immigrant Rights Alliance. Here’s the link:

https://act.betoorourke.com/go/26296?t=2&akid=49476%2E541341%2ERMEUUL

- Beto

Kudos
Views
Replies