Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: Welcome To The Gap - Medicare Expansion In Idaho

Message 1 of 6

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

The Dems once again are doing the average high style campaign on issues they want to push. Ask H how that worked out in 2016. I hate to say it but people can be stupid and you see it in Idaho on Medicaid. They say you fight fire with fire and the Dems need to take over what the election is about, and that is the main thing and everything should after Trump. 

Posting all of this here will accomplish nothing, just being real about this. I agree with most of your post, it's sad that the media gave tRump so much free coverage, it's sad that so many Americans believed his lies.

You can try to direct your thoughts to the DNC and see if it changes anything but it's unlikely. How can the DNC direct all candidates in the Democratic Primary to talk only about tRump and his lies? Will the Democrat Candidate in the presidential race using a platform based solely on tRump's lies actually give the Democrats a victory in 2020? I'm not so sure because Rump supporters seem to be so closed minded that I have to wonder if they would listen to anything negative about tRump. It would certainly help if the media called tRump on every one of his lies and every lie that any supporter of his tells. I don't know the answer to all of this, if you do, I suggest you convey it to the DNC.

I do know that this article points to how naive people are who are opposed to Medicaid expansion as per the ACA. Too bad that Medicaid expansion was left up to the STates and not Federally mandated.

You are correct the DNC can not, but the DNC can set a tone, and every person running should also be setting the tone. Trump is the main subject and must not be reelected, then you move on to the big new programs after the Trump mess is cleaned up. The people running the debates are to blame also as they make up the Questions and very few are on Trump. Each and every person who wants to see Trump out should understand what needs to be done, and not fall for the typical big program campaign this time. People who are active in a campaign even a small part like the people posting in here need to be talking and pushing to get Trump out first and not falling in to pushing the big new programs, and that is not happening with some. Any one running who does not make Trump first should not get any votes in the Primary and so far most fall into the area. All should push everywhere Trump first. Look at the lead in USA today, and that story is one all can use against Trump, and the candidacies can tell all about it, and what they will do to clean it up. That beats wine caves.

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 6

@john258 wrote:

The Dems once again are doing the average high style campaign on issues they want to push. Ask H how that worked out in 2016. I hate to say it but people can be stupid and you see it in Idaho on Medicaid. They say you fight fire with fire and the Dems need to take over what the election is about, and that is the main thing and everything should after Trump. 

Posting all of this here will accomplish nothing, just being real about this. I agree with most of your post, it's sad that the media gave tRump so much free coverage, it's sad that so many Americans believed his lies.

You can try to direct your thoughts to the DNC and see if it changes anything but it's unlikely. How can the DNC direct all candidates in the Democratic Primary to talk only about tRump and his lies? Will the Democrat Candidate in the presidential race using a platform based solely on tRump's lies actually give the Democrats a victory in 2020? I'm not so sure because Rump supporters seem to be so closed minded that I have to wonder if they would listen to anything negative about tRump. It would certainly help if the media called tRump on every one of his lies and every lie that any supporter of his tells. I don't know the answer to all of this, if you do, I suggest you convey it to the DNC.

I do know that this article points to how naive people are who are opposed to Medicaid expansion as per the ACA. Too bad that Medicaid expansion was left up to the STates and not Federally mandated.

"The only thing that man learns from history is that man learns nothing from history."
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 6

All should read the article carefully as it is a very good one. This is a Reb. far right state by who it elects, but in this case supports a Moderate Dem sponsored program and has done so for some time. You have to ask why did they vote for people who had no interest in serving the people, and I would bet this is not the only case where this has happened in the State. There are other states just like this all Reb.. Why haven't the Dems been able to win elections and give the people what they want from Govt. What other influences are present to get people to vote against their best interests?

You see this at the Fed. level also. Trump did it in 2016 is an example. The world is suffering from that. My thought is the Reb. controlled the items discussed in the election. In 2016 it was H server, and her breaking the law. As now proven it was all false. Trump promised everything like health care for all, keeping out criminals with a border fence, ending what he said was foreign countries taking from the US by bad deals, and on and on. Go back and check you will see no answer came from the Dems, nor did they go after the fact that the Reb. far right caused a lot of problems which the Dems had fixed like the Bush recession. The Dems did not control the subject matter. The news media covers what the public reacts to, and it was what Trump was saying and doing. Our election system allow a person to win an election for President with out having the most total votes, and that happened. You get what you elect and we got Trump and the world pays the price.

We are getting ready for another election and Trump is setting up to control what is talked about and covered, and once again uses truth, lies, mix of both, or just makes stuff up. Look at his move on Biden in Ukraine. That is not over. Look at the article posted in here on the entire Biden family covering the last 40 years. You see all of that will be used in 2020 if Biden runs against Trump. He is gathering the same type of material on all the Dems. Warren will be the false Indian again, going after others for big donors when she used them to. Mayor Pete for big donors, being gay. etc.

The Dems once again are doing the average high style campaign on issues they want to push. Ask H how that worked out in 2016. I hate to say it but people can be stupid and you see it in Idaho on Medicaid. They say you fight fire with fire and the Dems need to take over what the election is about, and that is the main thing and everything should after Trump. CNN showed you can do an hour on his lies and not cover them all. How many of his campaign staff are in jail and why. Who gave him his business loans and did the co signer pay them off in money laundering. What Trump has done to health care. There is plenty to use. If the Dems allow Trump to do in 2020 what he did in 2016 people will vote against their own best internists again and we could have full Dictator Trump as he told us he will be President for at least 15 years, and then supports his son taking over. He ended Reb. Primary elections this year could that be a test for all elections. Wake up all.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 6

@Panjandrum wrote:

ChasKy53: 

A 2017 Health Affairs study, meanwhile, concluded that “expansion states did not experience any significant increase in state-funded expenditures, and there is no evidence that expansion crowded out funding for other state priorities.”

I'll never understand the mindset that would think it's a good thing to inflict suffering on constituents as descibed in this article. They are surely at least smart enough to see what has happened in states that have done the right thing. They have no logical explanation to support their position, so maybe they get off on the cruelty?

Actually, the article may contian far too much content for the average tRump supporting Repubican to understand. They are used to one liners and memes on social media. along with tRuimp's short tweets

"The only thing that man learns from history is that man learns nothing from history."
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 6

ChasKy53: 

A 2017 Health Affairs study, meanwhile, concluded that “expansion states did not experience any significant increase in state-funded expenditures, and there is no evidence that expansion crowded out funding for other state priorities.”

I'll never understand the mindset that would think it's a good thing to inflict suffering on constituents as descibed in this article. They are surely at least smart enough to see what has happened in states that have done the right thing. They have no logical explanation to support their position, so maybe they get off on the cruelty?

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Welcome To The Gap - Medicare Expansion In Idaho

Message 6 of 6
Many celebrate Medicaid expansion in Idaho, but still fear its political uncertainty
“For me, I’m looking at kidney failure, dialysis, death — and I don’t want to die,” said one Idaho woman who will be covered by Medicaid in January.
Highway 93 near Challis, Idaho.
Highway 93 near Challis, Idaho, which is the largest town in the 4,500 square-mile Custer County and home to about 1,100 people.Janie Osborne / for NBC News

Dec. 20, 2019, 3:30 AM CST / Updated Dec. 20, 2019, 12:58 PM CST
By Phil McCausland

POCATELLO, Idaho — Melissa Turner almost died twice in emergency rooms, and because she didn’t have health insurance, two separate medical procedures have left her with tens of thousands of dollars of medical debt, paralyzing her life.

Turner, 37, a resident of this windswept town at the edge of the Rocky Mountains, said she tried to get coverage. After losing her job and the health insurance she received as a cafeteria worker at Idaho State University in 2015, Turner immediately went to an insurance broker because she had already faced a series of expensive hospitalizations throughout her life for misdiagnosed health issues.

“He just looked at me and said, ‘Welcome to the gap,’" Turner recalled, sitting inside the public library where she now works. “And I was like, ‘What's that?’ And he goes, ‘You're not covered by Obamacare or Medicaid. You're in the gap.’ And I was like, ‘Crap.’"

That gap affects people who make too much to qualify for Medicaid in states that haven’t expanded their programs, but not enough for one of Obamacare’s marketplace plans.

The gap is a significant issue in the 14 states that have not expanded their Medicaid programs as part of the Affordable Care Act, but it is about to close in Idaho. Last year, in a ballot initiative, 62 percent of the state’s voters supported Medicaid expansion. That means Turner and 91,000 others, or about 5 percent of the state’s population, will become eligible for Medicaid coverage starting Jan. 1. Currently about 11 percent of Idaho’s residents are uninsured.

Now the income qualification is increased to about $35,500 for a family of four or $17,000 for an individual. That expansion could have a huge impact, since 15 percent of Idahoans now carry medical debt, with a median amount of $807, and have been sent to collection agencies for it, according to the Aspen Institute, a nonpartisan think tank.

“The expansion is a relief for future medical costs,” Turner said. “I just hope it goes through because it will open up opportunities for me and I won’t have to worry.”

Missy Turner in her backyard in Pocatello, Idaho.Missy Turner in her backyard in Pocatello, Idaho.Janie Osborne / for NBC News

Turner and others like her in Idaho are considered the working poor. Some said they hoped that Medicaid expansion will save them from incurring future medical debt that many have lived under for years, limiting their ability to pursue additional schooling or even to take time to find more profitable work.

Medical debt is also a huge limitation for Anita Sakuvitich, 49, a single mother of two disabled children in Boise, who has lived the past six years without insurance.

An emergency hysterectomy she had to undergo after suddenly bleeding one night left her with more than $19,000 in medical debt, an amount that was reduced from $50,000, thanks to the state indigent fund. Sakuvitch said she had ignored warning signs and delayed going to the doctor for fear of the expense, until she nearly died.

“That’s a car payment,” she said, noting that her car is on its last legs. “That’s a big deal. I’m on a limited income, and I’m OK. But I’m not rich and this is going to make a big difference. I’ve contemplated medical bankruptcy but I don’t want to ruin my credit.”

Still not a sure bet

Sakuvitch, Turner and others like them said they remain concerned that they may lose the benefit they voted for at the ballot box. Despite the broad support for the proposition among voters, there is an ongoing battle in the Republican-controlled Legislature — as well as those in Nebraska and Utah where similar ballot initiatives passed last year — over four waivers that could limit the scope of expansion.

Some lawmakers want to add work requirements to Medicaid eligibility, limit availability for family planning, and provide an opportunity to opt for a tax credit instead, among other waivers.

And few can forget that attempts to expand Medicaid have languished and died in the Boise Statehouse since 2012. Idaho was one of several states that chose not to expand Medicaid after the passage of the ACA, refusing tens of millions of federal dollars that would have provided insurance to those who fell in that coverage gap. Then-Gov. Butch Otter, a Republican, insisted the state would find another way.

That’s changed now.

Under popular pressure, Otter came to support the referendum in 2018, and the current governor, Brad Little, a Republican, said through his office that he maintains his support for Medicaid expansion but will wait until the State of the State address Jan. 6 to outline his recommendation for funding the program.

Many Idaho Republicans, however, say the cost for the state is too high: Idaho will have to pay for 10 percent of the bill or about $10.5 million per year for the expanded program while the federal government pays the rest. There’s also a segment of the party that says that expanding a government program is counter to Idaho’s conservative values, and there is a need for limits like work requirements.

“I think there is a deeply held value in the state that we will help you, but you have to help yourself to some degree,” said Rep. Megan Blanksma, the Republican caucus chair in the Statehouse who opposed Medicaid expansion and has since pushed for work requirements. “So we want to help you if you’re willing to do some work and help yourself.”

Other Republicans insist that expansion will be a net benefit for the state, pointing to other conservative states that have made the switch.

Louisiana, which passed expansion in 2016, reported savings of $199 million in 2017 and $350 million in 2018, because the federal government picked up a much larger share of the state’s health care tab for the poor. A University of Montana study found that Idaho’s neighbor state, which expanded Medicaid in 2015, had seen as many as 7,500 jobs created because of expansion, with the addition of at least $350 million in personal income each year between 2018 and 2020.

MUCH More At LINK:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/many-celebrate-medicaid-expansion-idaho-still-fear-its-politica...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors