Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Watch, React, Repeat: What the Racist Columbia University Video Reveals

Message 11 of 13

@ChasKy53 wrote:
Watch, react, repeat: What the racist Columbia University video reveals
“I am not a white supremacist or racist,” Julian von Abele wrote after his rant about the greatness of white men was caught on tape.

Dec. 12, 2018 / 5:16 PM CST
By Janell Ross

When Julian von Abele said it on tape, he was exuberant.

“White people are the best thing that ever happened to the world.”

In the days since von Abele, a white Columbia University student, yelled a fact-challenged theory on the inherent and historical greatness of white men at a group of black students and went viral, the familiar rituals surrounding racism caught on tape have begun again.

First deny. Then attempt to obfuscate with a laser focus on language, numbers and alleged threats to civil liberties. Finally, ride out the social media storm until the next racist outrage video comes along to begin the cycle again.

“I am not a white supremacist or racist,” von Abele wrote in an emailed statement Tuesday evening. “[N]or do I subscribe to any views that support that ideology...I believe that...we should all be allowed to be proud of our heritage. As such, I would like to have my views be fairly considered in the public discourse, and not dismissed solely due to my race and gender.”

Julian von Abele's tirade prompted Columbia University to denounce racism on campus.Julian von Abele's tirade prompted Columbia University to denounce racism on campus.@aalanasir / via Twitter

Watch. React. Repeat. Those who study white nationalist indoctrination and ideas and their role in shaping American history say the ritualized outrage and denial distract the public from important truths, blur historical lessons and facilitate the seep of white nationalist ideas into an already unequal society.

On Reddit, von Abele’s defenders ridiculed those who called him racist and recast his rant as drunken “truth.” InfoWars described von Abele as the victim of an “out-of-context” video. And von Abele’s father, Rudolph von Abele, told NBC News when reached briefly by phone that his son’s comments are not “relevant to a story about the mainstreaming of white nationalism.”

“The parents, the neighbors, the friends — they always seem to say they don’t think this stuff is racist, their son, their friend isn’t a white nationalist,” said Heidi Beirich, who leads the Southern Poverty Law Center's Intelligence Project, which tracks and estimates the size, influence and methods of hate groups.

“But wear the label or not, the stuff the Columbia student said, those are absolutely standard tropes of white nationalism,” Beirich continued. “It’s actually some of the stuff they put in their brochures and pamphlets.”

On Tuesday, a Virginia jury recommended a life sentence for another young, white man who made racist public statements — and who ultimately took violent action. But before the man, James Fields, drove into a crowd of counter-protesters at a 2017 white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, killing one woman and injuring at least 40 others, his online racism drew little attention.

Much More At Link:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/watch-react-repeat-what-racist-columbia-university-video-reveals...

Columbia University isn't at all racist but just the opposite. I know it says the Columbia University video but could be construed to mean C.U. In fact, Columbia University is for balance in geography, race, and religion. In fact, if it wasn't for affirmative action, Obama would never have gotten into Columbia!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Watch, React, Repeat: What the Racist Columbia University Video Reveals

Message 12 of 13

Professional criminals LOVE the American System - Innocent until PROVEN guilty - what a concept!

For generations, fascists have used the protections of our system to work toward the destruction of that system. They took control of the GOP in 2010 and have been ramping up their efforts ever since, using our system to destroy our system - voter suppression and Gerrymandering were so effective they decided to expand their efforts into use of hostile foreign Governments, but first had to find someone vile enough to accept such assistance, which is how we got Der Trumper.

Impeachment may not remove Der Trumper, but it can certainly expose the magnitude of his crimes and those of the Republican leadership before the 2020 elections.

If total lies were able to derail Hillary's campaign, we should hope total TRUTH about Republicans will do the same to them in 2020 and we can begin restoring Democracy in 2021.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Watch, React, Repeat: What the Racist Columbia University Video Reveals

Message 13 of 13
Watch, react, repeat: What the racist Columbia University video reveals
“I am not a white supremacist or racist,” Julian von Abele wrote after his rant about the greatness of white men was caught on tape.

Dec. 12, 2018 / 5:16 PM CST
By Janell Ross

When Julian von Abele said it on tape, he was exuberant.

“White people are the best thing that ever happened to the world.”

In the days since von Abele, a white Columbia University student, yelled a fact-challenged theory on the inherent and historical greatness of white men at a group of black students and went viral, the familiar rituals surrounding racism caught on tape have begun again.

First deny. Then attempt to obfuscate with a laser focus on language, numbers and alleged threats to civil liberties. Finally, ride out the social media storm until the next racist outrage video comes along to begin the cycle again.

“I am not a white supremacist or racist,” von Abele wrote in an emailed statement Tuesday evening. “[N]or do I subscribe to any views that support that ideology...I believe that...we should all be allowed to be proud of our heritage. As such, I would like to have my views be fairly considered in the public discourse, and not dismissed solely due to my race and gender.”

Julian von Abele's tirade prompted Columbia University to denounce racism on campus.Julian von Abele's tirade prompted Columbia University to denounce racism on campus.@aalanasir / via Twitter

Watch. React. Repeat. Those who study white nationalist indoctrination and ideas and their role in shaping American history say the ritualized outrage and denial distract the public from important truths, blur historical lessons and facilitate the seep of white nationalist ideas into an already unequal society.

On Reddit, von Abele’s defenders ridiculed those who called him racist and recast his rant as drunken “truth.” InfoWars described von Abele as the victim of an “out-of-context” video. And von Abele’s father, Rudolph von Abele, told NBC News when reached briefly by phone that his son’s comments are not “relevant to a story about the mainstreaming of white nationalism.”

“The parents, the neighbors, the friends — they always seem to say they don’t think this stuff is racist, their son, their friend isn’t a white nationalist,” said Heidi Beirich, who leads the Southern Poverty Law Center's Intelligence Project, which tracks and estimates the size, influence and methods of hate groups.

“But wear the label or not, the stuff the Columbia student said, those are absolutely standard tropes of white nationalism,” Beirich continued. “It’s actually some of the stuff they put in their brochures and pamphlets.”

On Tuesday, a Virginia jury recommended a life sentence for another young, white man who made racist public statements — and who ultimately took violent action. But before the man, James Fields, drove into a crowd of counter-protesters at a 2017 white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, killing one woman and injuring at least 40 others, his online racism drew little attention.

Much More At Link:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/watch-react-repeat-what-racist-columbia-university-video-reveals...

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors