Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families was developed by AARP to help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to obtain a free copy.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Watch, React, Repeat: What the Racist Columbia University Video Reveals

Message 1 of 13

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:
Watch, react, repeat: What the racist Columbia University video reveals
“I am not a white supremacist or racist,” Julian von Abele wrote after his rant about the greatness of white men was caught on tape.

Dec. 12, 2018 / 5:16 PM CST
By Janell Ross

When Julian von Abele said it on tape, he was exuberant.

“White people are the best thing that ever happened to the world.”

In the days since von Abele, a white Columbia University student, yelled a fact-challenged theory on the inherent and historical greatness of white men at a group of black students and went viral, the familiar rituals surrounding racism caught on tape have begun again.

First deny. Then attempt to obfuscate with a laser focus on language, numbers and alleged threats to civil liberties. Finally, ride out the social media storm until the next racist outrage video comes along to begin the cycle again.

“I am not a white supremacist or racist,” von Abele wrote in an emailed statement Tuesday evening. “[N]or do I subscribe to any views that support that ideology...I believe that...we should all be allowed to be proud of our heritage. As such, I would like to have my views be fairly considered in the public discourse, and not dismissed solely due to my race and gender.”

Julian von Abele's tirade prompted Columbia University to denounce racism on campus.Julian von Abele's tirade prompted Columbia University to denounce racism on campus.@aalanasir / via Twitter

Watch. React. Repeat. Those who study white nationalist indoctrination and ideas and their role in shaping American history say the ritualized outrage and denial distract the public from important truths, blur historical lessons and facilitate the seep of white nationalist ideas into an already unequal society.

On Reddit, von Abele’s defenders ridiculed those who called him racist and recast his rant as drunken “truth.” InfoWars described von Abele as the victim of an “out-of-context” video. And von Abele’s father, Rudolph von Abele, told NBC News when reached briefly by phone that his son’s comments are not “relevant to a story about the mainstreaming of white nationalism.”

“The parents, the neighbors, the friends — they always seem to say they don’t think this stuff is racist, their son, their friend isn’t a white nationalist,” said Heidi Beirich, who leads the Southern Poverty Law Center's Intelligence Project, which tracks and estimates the size, influence and methods of hate groups.

“But wear the label or not, the stuff the Columbia student said, those are absolutely standard tropes of white nationalism,” Beirich continued. “It’s actually some of the stuff they put in their brochures and pamphlets.”

On Tuesday, a Virginia jury recommended a life sentence for another young, white man who made racist public statements — and who ultimately took violent action. But before the man, James Fields, drove into a crowd of counter-protesters at a 2017 white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, killing one woman and injuring at least 40 others, his online racism drew little attention.

Much More At Link:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/watch-react-repeat-what-racist-columbia-university-video-reveals...

Columbia University isn't at all racist but just the opposite. I know it says the Columbia University video but could be construed to mean C.U. In fact, Columbia University is for balance in geography, race, and religion. In fact, if it wasn't for affirmative action, Obama would never have gotten into Columbia!

Did you read the entire article, or just read the title?  Did you misunderstand the title? Did the article accuse Columbia University of being racist?  Did the article accuse the student of being racist? Do you know the answer to each?

And what does Obama have to do with any of this?

I did read and understand the whole article but apparently you either didn't read my short paragraph or didn't understand it!

Of course I read it. You said nothing about the student , instead you brought up the university that wasn't accused of racism and then Obama and affirmative action.  "LOOK OVER HERE" !    (the article wasn't about anything in your comment)

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 13

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:
“I am not a white supremacist or racist,” Julian von Abele wrote after his rant about the greatness of white men was caught on tape.

By Janell Ross

In the days since von Abele, a white Columbia University student, yelled a fact-challenged theory on the inherent and historical greatness of white men at a group of black students and went viral, the familiar rituals surrounding racism caught on tape have begun again.

First deny. Then attempt to obfuscate with a laser focus on language, numbers and alleged threats to civil liberties. Finally, ride out the social media storm until the next racist outrage video comes along to begin the cycle again.

“I am not a white supremacist or racist,” von Abele wrote in an emailed statement Tuesday evening. “[N]or do I subscribe to any views that support that ideology...I believe that...we should all be allowed to be proud of our heritage. As such, I would like to have my views be fairly considered in the public discourse, and not dismissed solely due to my race and gender.”

Julian von Abele's tirade prompted Columbia University to denounce racism on campus.Julian von Abele's tirade prompted Columbia University to denounce racism on campus.@aalanasir / via Twitter

Watch. React. Repeat. Those who study white nationalist indoctrination and ideas and their role in shaping American history say the ritualized outrage and denial distract the public from important truths, blur historical lessons and facilitate the seep of white nationalist ideas into an already unequal society.

On Reddit, von Abele’s defenders ridiculed those who called him racist and recast his rant as drunken “truth.” InfoWars described von Abele as the victim of an “out-of-context” video. And von Abele’s father, Rudolph von Abele, told NBC News when reached briefly by phone that his son’s comments are not “relevant to a story about the mainstreaming of white nationalism.”

“The parents, the neighbors, the friends — they always seem to say they don’t think this stuff is racist, their son, their friend isn’t a white nationalist,” said Heidi Beirich, who leads the Southern Poverty Law Center's Intelligence Project, which tracks and estimates the size, influence and methods of hate groups.

“But wear the label or not, the stuff the Columbia student said, those are absolutely standard tropes of white nationalism,” Beirich continued. “It’s actually some of the stuff they put in their brochures and pamphlets.”

On Tuesday, a Virginia jury recommended a life sentence for another young, white man who made racist public statements — and who ultimately took violent action. But before the man, James Fields, drove into a crowd of counter-protesters at a 2017 white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, killing one woman and injuring at least 40 others, his online racism drew little attention.

Much More At Link:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/watch-react-repeat-what-racist-columbia-university-video-reveals...

Columbia University isn't at all racist but just the opposite. I know it says the Columbia University video but could be construed to mean C.U. In fact, Columbia University is for balance in geography, race, and religion. In fact, if it wasn't for affirmative action, Obama would never have gotten into Columbia!

Did you read the entire article, or just read the title?  Did you misunderstand the title? Did the article accuse Columbia University of being racist?  Did the article accuse the student of being racist? Do you know the answer to each?

I did read and understand the whole article but apparently you either didn't read my short paragraph or didn't understand it!

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 13

@rk9152 wrote:

White Pride has to do with "RW propaganda", "hate screed", etc.?
Why yes, as a matter of fact it does - every bit as much as racist and bigoted alt-right, white supremacists, white nationalists, and neo-Nazis at Charlottesville - chanting "Jews will not replace us" - something that many not on the right may well consider an accurate description of the position of a great many republicans, conservatives and trump supporters... 
Then there are those bigoted, white right wing racists convicted of beating a black man in a parking garage at Charlottesville - and sentenced to prison - all allegedly "fine people"...
2 Men Sentenced To Prison For Beating Black Man During Charlottesville Rally : NPR
Yep - they are unquestionably integral with the trump vision of what he intends for the country - as well being part and parcel of "Right Wing White Pride" and "neo-confederates" -  that voted for and support trump - Putin's racist/confederate/fascist choice - elected by what a great many Patriotic American Citizens consider to be the lowest quality republican/conservative third of the nation...

He is useless on top of the ground - he should be under it - inspiring the cabbages... Mark Twain 1894
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 13

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

By Janell Ross

Much More At Link:

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 13

@afisher wrote:

Sideway reminder:  it is the RWbloggers here who are the ones who are telling  the non-RW that we are haters, not them.    That is their wedge to attempt to propagandize any cogent information or discussion about a member of the White Racists prognosticating,

What would those people say if an African American or Latino went on a rant about Black Power, what would they label that person. 

If they are serious about ending all the racist hate screeds  start here and stop attempting to tell me who and what I hate.  Sadly it is those who have bought into the RW propaganda, not me and bloggers who generally agree with my blogs who are attempting to label others with the"hate" word.    

"White Racists prognosticating" - what/who is that?

About Black Pride is that O.K. but White Pride has to do with "RW propaganda", "hate screed", etc.?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 13

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Lenin once remarked "we will hang the last Capitalist with a rope his greed will compell him to sell us."

Seems the RW expects us to behave in a similar fashion regarding their hatemongers being allowed to spew their venom using whatever media they chose to pollute, being compelled to do so by our committment to "free speech".

How is that related to the topic? Or did you just have an urge to quote Lenin?

And what is the "venom" - White Pride". If so, what is your view of "Black Pride"?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 13

Sideway reminder:  it is the RWbloggers here who are the ones who are telling  the non-RW that we are haters, not them.    That is their wedge to attempt to propagandize any cogent information or discussion about a member of the White Racists prognosticating,

What would those people say if an African American or Latino went on a rant about Black Power, what would they label that person. 

If they are serious about ending all the racist hate screeds  start here and stop attempting to tell me who and what I hate.  Sadly it is those who have bought into the RW propaganda, not me and bloggers who generally agree with my blogs who are attempting to label others with the"hate" word.    

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 13

Lenin once remarked "we will hang the last Capitalist with a rope his greed will compell him to sell us."

Seems the RW expects us to behave in a similar fashion regarding their hatemongers being allowed to spew their venom using whatever media they chose to pollute, being compelled to do so by our committment to "free speech".

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 13

In August, a University of Alabama researcher found that about 6 percent of white Americans surveyed share the alt-right’s views, including a strong sense of white racial victimization, solidarity and pride.

And this guy is apparently one of the 6%. What has your panties in a wad? It could be called "White Pride" - I have heard no complaints about "Black Pride".

I prefer "People pride" but, hey, that's what makes horse racing.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 13

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Professional criminals LOVE the American System - Innocent until PROVEN guilty - what a concept!

For generations, fascists have used the protections of our system to work toward the destruction of that system. They took control of the GOP in 2010 and have been ramping up their efforts ever since, using our system to destroy our system - voter suppression and Gerrymandering were so effective they decided to expand their efforts into use of hostile foreign Governments, but first had to find someone vile enough to accept such assistance, which is how we got Der Trumper.

Impeachment may not remove Der Trumper, but it can certainly expose the magnitude of his crimes and those of the Republican leadership before the 2020 elections.

If total lies were able to derail Hillary's campaign, we should hope total TRUTH about Republicans will do the same to them in 2020 and we can begin restoring Democracy in 2021.

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Professional criminals LOVE the American System - Innocent until PROVEN guilty - what a concept!

For generations, fascists have used the protections of our system to work toward the destruction of that system. They took control of the GOP in 2010 and have been ramping up their efforts ever since, using our system to destroy our system - voter suppression and Gerrymandering were so effective they decided to expand their efforts into use of hostile foreign Governments, but first had to find someone vile enough to accept such assistance, which is how we got Der Trumper.

Impeachment may not remove Der Trumper, but it can certainly expose the magnitude of his crimes and those of the Republican leadership before the 2020 elections.

If total lies were able to derail Hillary's campaign, we should hope total TRUTH about Republicans will do the same to them in 2020 and we can begin restoring Democracy in 2021.

Did you happen to notice the topic before starting your standard rant?

Kudos
Views