Tell Congress to stop Rx greed and cut prescription drug prices now! Here’s how.

Reply
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
182
Views

Re: War on Cops? Hardly!

182 Views
Message 51 of 154

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@Centristsin2010wrote:

@rk9152wrote:
 

cent - what offensive charges by scout are substantiated by one questionable shooting?  What's offensive is suggesting there's been only one questionable shooting.


Out of a population of 325.7 million Americans?  Astronomical odds.  A very less than Christian like position.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
182
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
185
Views

Re: War on Cops? Hardly!

185 Views
Message 52 of 154

@Centristsin2010wrote:

@rk9152wrote:
 

cent - what offensive charges by scout are substantiated by one questionable shooting?  What's offensive is suggesting there's been only one questionable shooting.


Out of a population of 325.7 million Americans?  Astronomical odds.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
185
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
182
Views

Re: War on Cops? Hardly!

182 Views
Message 53 of 154

@rk9152wrote:

From the NPR article about the deaths of police officers:

"Twelve deaths, horrible as they are, have to be put into the statistical context of a country with close to a million law enforcement officers. Stoughton says statistical context is important".

 

If that is so, what statistical value have the occasional questionable shooting or chocking (sic) cent harps on?  "Statistical value?" Didn't you claim "all lives matter"?  I didn't believe you actually meant that either...


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
182
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
179
Views

Re: War on Cops? Hardly!

179 Views
Message 54 of 154

@rk9152wrote:
 

cent - what offensive charges by scout are substantiated by one questionable shooting?  What's offensive is suggesting there's been only one questionable shooting.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
179
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
177
Views

Re: War on Cops? Hardly!

177 Views
Message 55 of 154

From the NPR article about the deaths of police officers:

"Twelve deaths, horrible as they are, have to be put into the statistical context of a country with close to a million law enforcement officers. Stoughton says statistical context is important".

 

If that is so, what statistical value have the occasional questionable shooting or chocking cent harps on?

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
177
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
182
Views

Re: War on Cops? Hardly!

182 Views
Message 56 of 154

@Centristsin2010wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

@Olderscout66wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

@Olderscout66wrote:

Republicans cannot be reasoned with. No matter how vile the crime and how overwhelming the evidence of guilt, those they consider members of their tribe are innocent. The only way to stop the vile crimes of those police few police who use their badge to practice murder instead of serven and protect is to emiminate the power of NRAGOP to protect them.

VOTE OUT THE NRAGOP IN NOVEMBER!

MAKE AMERICA SANE AGAIN!


What member of your supposed Republican tribe are you ranting about?


All those who condone police shooting innocent unarmed civilians and falsely claim those of us who oppose such abuse of power are "anti-cop".


I have seen no one condone. You'll need to read curtb's posts...Do you have any proof to substantiate your offensive charges?  Sure, in the recent shooting discussed by curtb includes killing an unarmed citizen.


scout, maybe your new "explainer" can help you with the Delta moved to GA for tax breaks issue.

 

cent - what offensive charges by scout are substantiated by one questionable shooting?

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
182
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
205
Views

Re: War on Cops? Hardly!

205 Views
Message 57 of 154

How The Perceived 'War On Cops' Plays Into Politics And Policing

 

How The Perceived 'War On Cops' Plays Into Politics And Policing

 

The darkest moment for American police this year was July 7 in downtown Dallas, when police officers providing security for a peaceful protest march suddenly found themselves under attack. And those weren't the only cops targeted this year. Deadly ambushes followed in Baton Rouge, Des Moines and Palm Springs.

 

As a result, many police will remember 2016 as a grim chapter in what many call the "war on cops." These ambush-killings of officers created a sense that they were under siege, threatening to poison the post-Ferguson debate over police reform.

 

"There has been an increase in the total number," says Seth Stoughton, a former officer who is now an assistant professor of law at the University of South Carolina. Stoughton has been tracking premeditated murders of law enforcement officers — what he calls police assassinations — and he says the number of police killed like this jumped from five or six last year, to somewhere in the neighborhood of eight to 12 this year.

 

That's a subset of the total number of officers "feloniously killed" on duty, most of whom were killed in the course of police work, but not targeted just because they were police. (Official 2016 statistics aren't available yet; the FBI says 41 were killed feloniously in 2015.)

 

"It looks like a huge increase — and it is a huge increase, but it's a huge percentage increase involving very small numbers," he says.

 

Twelve deaths, horrible as they are, have to be put into the statistical context of a country with close to a million law enforcement officers. Stoughton says statistical context is important.

 

"On the other hand, it's not helpful at all because police officers don't feel any less under siege, don't feel any less threatened because I pull up a spreadsheet," he says.

 

That's where this gets tricky. For the past couple of years, academics and police reform groups have been pushing back against the idea of a war on cops by citing big-picture statistics — for instance, the fact that, overall, far fewer police are killed on duty now than a generation ago. But cold stats aren't enough to change perceptions.

 

Maj. Max Geron says he hears the phrase "war on cops" a lot from his fellow officers.

 

"They use it in social media, they use it in their discussions, and for many officers, there is that belief," he says.

 

Geron doesn't like the phrase "war on cops," but he understands where it comes from, especially where he works, in the Dallas Police Department.

 

"The human brain is a narrative processor and the stories and the things that these officers, particularly, witnessed, served to reinforce the idea that they are being victimized, that they are being attacked, whether that is in fact the overall case or not," he explains.

 

The belief in a war on cops can have real political consequences. It has been used as an argument against police reform movements such as Black Lives Matter, and it also led many rank and file officers to support Donald Trump during this year's presidential campaign. And it's not just a left-right thing; gun control groups are making an issue of police deaths, too. Without going so far as talking about a "war on police," the group Everytown for Gun Safety says shootings of police are an argument for stricter background checks on gun sales.

 

"What we're seeing is more cops are being shot in states without background check laws," says Sarah Tofte, Everytown's research director. "And I think a piece of that is that fewer dangerous individuals are able to get easy access to firearms."

 

Politics aside, the "war on cops" is also having a practical effect on everyday policing. In Dallas, Maj. Geron says officers there are being more cautious: they're more likely to wait for backup, which he thinks is good. But he doesn't want caution to become something darker.

 

"Along with the discussions about safety and security, we as the leaders need to continue to push the message of empathy with our citizenry, they're not the enemy," he says.

 

After an attack like the one in Dallas, he says police have to fight the tendency to see the job as a matter of "us versus them."


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
205
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
200
Views

Re: War on Cops? Hardly!

200 Views
Message 58 of 154

@Centristsin2010wrote:


You don' think this kid saw the helicopter above with lights shining down on him too???  I don't make assumptions.  I'll leave that to you.  Hahahahaha.....nice try!!

No one has to make assumptions in a case like this.  The searchlight should say it all.  Sounds like you are avoiding the question.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
200
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
201
Views

Re: War on Cops? Hardly!

201 Views
Message 59 of 154

@rk9152wrote:

@Olderscout66wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

@Olderscout66wrote:

Republicans cannot be reasoned with. No matter how vile the crime and how overwhelming the evidence of guilt, those they consider members of their tribe are innocent. The only way to stop the vile crimes of those police few police who use their badge to practice murder instead of serven and protect is to emiminate the power of NRAGOP to protect them.

VOTE OUT THE NRAGOP IN NOVEMBER!

MAKE AMERICA SANE AGAIN!


What member of your supposed Republican tribe are you ranting about?


All those who condone police shooting innocent unarmed civilians and falsely claim those of us who oppose such abuse of power are "anti-cop".


I have seen no one condone. You'll need to read curtb's posts...Do you have any proof to substantiate your offensive charges?  Sure, in the recent shooting discussed by curtb includes killing an unarmed citizen.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
201
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
198
Views

Re: War on Cops? Hardly!

198 Views
Message 60 of 154

@Centristsin2010wrote:

@rk9152wrote:


What a lame comment. Of course, who cannot do better at anything? Of course, but usually no one's dead.  If you trouble yourself to actually read the first post in the topics about the annual numbers, you'd note "we can do better" is in the topic.  Yet a few here just prefer to attack the poster instead of acknowledging, "Of course" as you have here. Glad to see you finally got up to speed.

 

Again, of course we can do better - that is true about just about everything and is certainly not justification for constant and obsessive attacks on the police.  Mature adults holding police accountable for their actions isn't an attack...it's quite telling when a few claim it does.  I have seen no denial of "we can do better".  You've also haven't seen any support of the simple fact by the Police Apologists.

 

That is no excuse for this constant obsessive police hatred.  And yet, there is none.  Just the obsessive childish name-calling of a few. Yes, of a few obsessive police haters.  I have seen no posters claim they hate the police.  It's intellectually dishonest to suggest otherwise.  Just because a few narrow-minded ignorant people choose to twist the words of those who hold police accountable, doesn't change anything.  A lie; is a lie.  I would hardly call defending the brave men and women of the various police forces "childish".  Lying about others certainly doesn't honor the brave men and woman of law enforcement; a little integrity might though. I do not consider defending the police to be lying.

 

And the circle seems complete.


 


 


 

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
198
Views