Stay Safe During Summer Storms with Disaster Preparedness Tips on AARP Live at 10 p.m. ET. Watch Now!

Frequent Social Butterfly

Re: Wal-Mart Raises Hourly Wage to $11 in Wake of Tax Overhaul

Message 11 of 23

Only a total ignorant would complain about the rise in the minimum wage, which would,  for some,  provide a living wage and make them somewhat self-sufficient.

Are these the same fools who were saying the poor didn’t deserve help just a while back?  And, yet, now that  the minimum wage will in some cases, preclude the need for public assistance, whine?

Hypocrisy, inability to think critically, and just plain stupidity seem to be the way of some. 

RIDICULOUS

Gee, I miss having a real president! 

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 23

Centristsin2010 wrote:

CriticalThinking wrote:

This is obviously good for America because Wal Mart is huge. This kind of corporate behavior is long overdue.

And, should reduce the number of food stamp recipients.

Hey, if you guys will cut my taxes but 15%, I will be happy to give the paperboy a raise!!!

Message 13 of 23

CriticalThinking wrote:

This is obviously good for America because Wal Mart is huge. This kind of corporate behavior is long overdue.

And, should reduce the number of food stamp recipients.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.

Message 14 of 23
hey if the went to 15/hr with full benefits it would be a living wage! but, Jim thinks thats too much
So it begins.
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 23

Read the entire article - that somehow the author of the thread may have missed:  

The move comes three years after Wal-Mart last announced it was raising wages, spending $1 billion in 2015 to lift starting hourly pay to $9 and then to $10 the following year -- for workers who complete a 90-day training course. The increase cut into profit and was criticized by some longer-tenured employees as unfair to them. Since then, many states have enacted minimum wage laws, meaning that a “sizable group” of its 4,700 U.S. stores already pay $11 an hour, according to spokesman Kory Lundberg.

Why a one time check of $1K is nice, that averages out to $0.48 / hour...

Message 16 of 23

KidBoy2 wrote:
Rich posted..

Pardon me for being cynical but WalMart is one of the most profitable companies in the world. Why did they need U.S. taxpayers to donate the money for their employee's raises?

============================

Its not US taxpayers money...its money that Walmart has made...money they made after paying taxes...taxes used for our roads, schools, our military, etc. etc.

Your posts is just more sour grapes.

I get that Republicans feel that when you make money in a community (city, state, or country) you have no obligation to pay for the services you consume but do you really think Walmart needed a tax break to pay their worker's a living wage?  Seriously?   I am betting we will see a tidy dividend increase this year too. Compliments of a $1.5 Trillion deficit Republicans are already using as an excuse to cut safety nets. 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 23

Do the math kidboy ??? Our Nation will be running on empty , while the top 1% live lavishly !

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 23

Meanwhile thanks to the Tax Cuts to the Insanely Wealthy , we won't have enough Tax Dollars to run OUR Nation. 99% of America will pay the price !!!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 23
Rich posted..

Pardon me for being cynical but WalMart is one of the most profitable companies in the world. Why did they need U.S. taxpayers to donate the money for their employee's raises?

============================

Its not US taxpayers money...its money that Walmart has made...money they made after paying taxes...taxes used for our roads, schools, our military, etc. etc.

Your posts is just more sour grapes.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 23

Richva wrote:

Pardon me for being cynical but WalMart is one of the most profitable companies in the world.  Why did they need U.S. taxpayers to donate the money for their employee's raises?

Well, they needed the US taxpayers to pick up the slack to provide their employees a livable wage for years.

Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors