Honored Social Butterfly

WILD WEST CULTURE IN TEXAS RESULTS IN ANOTHER PEACE OFFICER'S DEATH

Once again, TEXAS is in the National News spotlight.

Sadly, the news is about the shooting death of a 30 year Assistant Chief, and judging from his amount of years, probably not too far away from retirement.

TEXAS is nationally recognized as one of the most dangerous states to work as a Police Officer. Last year, TEXAS was #1 in on duty deaths with 18 killed. That is 7 more than California, a state that has 12,000,000 more people!!!!!!

As we all know, TEXAS has the least diverse Law Enforcement organizations in the country with over 215 agencies employing not even one person of color. This can and does create more of a "we/they" relationship in regard to policing the general population; which is diverse.

TEXAS lax gun laws, open carry, concealed carry, and get this..... even convicted felons can possess firearms in TEXAS also adds to the mix. 

These gun laws almost bring back the WILD WEST to today's society.

Between the lax gun laws and the confrontational culture of a non-diverse Law Enforcement Community; it is no wonder it is so dangerous for Police Officers in TEXAS.

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/u-s-states-with-the-most-police-officers-killed-in-the-line-of-du...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/gunman-large-killing-deputy-constable-texas-courthouse/story?id=46543190

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Once again, people are proving that they don't read an article before knee-jerking a response.  

per the article:  

It's unclear if Greenwood was targeted and there is no known motive, they added.

Dorris called it "very early on in the investigation."

More guns being allowed by the GOP run government will probably lead to more gun deaths...the NRA should be so proud of their handi-work.     

The outrage of a cop death will wear thin as these guys are the ones who advocated for more liberal rules on gun purchases and carry permits.   (via their union reps).    

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

@afisher wrote:

Once again, people are proving that they don't read an article before knee-jerking a response.  

per the article:  

It's unclear if Greenwood was targeted and there is no known motive, they added.

Dorris called it "very early on in the investigation."

---

Doubtful that this was a drive-by shooting, but a planned hit job.  Video has been released showing a vehicle pulling away, from a stationary positon and leaving the scene, that is believed to being driven by the hit-man.  This absolutely doesn't appear to be a crime of opportunity.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/clint-greenwood-police-investigate-deputy-sl...

According to the original article, Greenwood kept a punctual and regular schedule so it would have been easy for a hit-man to pick him off.  Especially at an hour and place where minimal people were around.  From the distance involved, no doubt it was some sort of assault type weapon.  A handgun would probably not be too accurate at that distance.

But of course there has to be some to blame this on the availability of firearms.  Question is where did that come in on a possible planned murder?  One can pick them up on private sales, including assault weapons.

Additionally like anything here, politics enter the picture.  Someone sneezes and its the Republicans (or Democrats) fault.

But the main question should probably be that if one has fault with the state, then why do they live here?  I-10 runs east to Lousiana and west to New Mexico; and I-35 runs north to the Oklahoma border.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Law Enforcement Line of Duty Deaths by State

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund: Officer Deaths by State

More police officers die on the job in states with more guns - The Washington Post

There is an ever increasing rift growing between educated and informed citizens who insist on exercising their Constitutional and legal rights and old-school authoritarian out-of-touch traditionalists within law enforcement...

Between the facts that more and more people are becoming aware of the fact that the Supreme Court has said that citizens should not talk to police without having their lawyer present, and that one is never obligated to answer any questions posed by law enforcement persons, and the additional fact that one may always - at any time - even at the initiation of an encounter with law enforcement - lawfully invoke their fifth amendment right to remain silent often results in those who remained relatively ignorant and marginally knowledgable within the law enforcement community quite incorrectly believing that their "traditional prerogatives" have been abrogated - and subsequently bleep-up big time...

Yes - unlawful acts by cops results in negative publicity and a resultant growing perception of "out of control cops" - not something that tends to create confidence in the average cop, is it?  

44>dolt45
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The latest update on the shooting of a Deputy Constable:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/clint-greenwood-police-investigate-deputy-sl...

A local law enforcement leader ambushed as he arrived at work was shot at close range by a man who stepped out from behind a dumpster in the parking lot, a source close to the investigation said Tuesday.

The gunman approached veteran lawman Clint Greenwood as he was attempting to retrieve some items from the passenger side of his county vehicle.

"This guy just walks up ... and pops him two times," the source said. "Clearly, this guy was there for one purpose."

--

Nothing wild west about this...more like an eastern thing.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

There's an old west expression that's been used in Texas since about 1870  - "dry gulched".

44>dolt45
0 Kudos
Contributor

Here's an idea why is it you can’t add the crime and total death by handgun information about Texas. It won't even come close to that of California or Chicago.

Honored Social Butterfly

@msmccraw wrote:

Here's an idea why is it you can’t add the crime and total death by handgun information about Texas. It won't even come close to that of California or Chicago.

An interesting and valid perspective, ms.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

With that Texas reference to the Lone Star State, I sense some bait dangling in the water.

Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

With that Texas reference to the Lone Star State, I sense some bait dangling in the water.

---

Of course.  With the link from the CDC given in a post, https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm  it appears that that North Carolina had 1,285 deaths for a rate of 12.5.   And there was some states with a higher ranking.  So what's the big deal?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

With the link from the CDC given in a post, https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm  it appears that that North Carolina had 1,285 deaths for a rate of 12.5.   And there was some states with a higher ranking.  So what's the big deal?

Mortality by firearm is not the subject of the thread.

The subject of the thread is the mortality of Law Enforcement officers in TEXAS; where TEXAS holds the distinction of being #1, even higher than a state with 12,000,000 more people than TEXAS.

As far as on duty deaths of officers, North Carolina doesn't even appear in the top 16 states.

Are you saying that being #1 in the deaths of Law Enforcement Officers is not a big deal.

Honored Social Butterfly

I would believe that instead of building something up from nothing, more facts should be known about things before making extreme speculations.

According the the Houston Chronicle, http://www.chron.com/houston/article/Reports-Member-of-law-enforcement-shot-in-Baytown-11045973.php the deputy shot wasn't an Assistant Chief, but a Assistant Chief Deputy Constable and believed killed by a target he led the investigation of when he was a prosecutor.

This is not a case of a gunfight at the OK Correl, but a deliberate hit no doubt for revenge.

Even living in Texas, wild west or not, I haven't handled a firearm since retiring from the military over three decades ago, and feel just as safe here as in any state of the union, probably safer.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

I would believe that instead of building something up from nothing, more facts should be known about things before making extreme speculations.

According the the Houston Chronicle, http://www.chron.com/houston/article/Reports-Member-of-law-enforcement-shot-in-Baytown-11045973.php the deputy shot wasn't an Assistant Chief, but a Assistant Chief Deputy Constable and believed killed by a target he led the investigation of when he was a prosecutor.

This is not a case of a gunfight at the OK Correl, but a deliberate hit no doubt for revenge.

I guess that explains it then.

Shootings for revenge don't count when it comes to calculating how dangerous it is to be in Law Enforcement in TEXAS.

Reprisals like this is more prevalent in areas where Law Enforcement doesn't reflect the demographics of the policed population; such as TEXAS, where over 215 Law Enforcement agencies have not one person of color on staff.

The Institutional Racism exhibited by many TEXAS agencies, Law Enforcement organizations, and the Executive Branch of the state government contribute to situations such as this.

That is why so many Law Enforcement officers lay dead in TEXAS.

Honored Social Butterfly

@nctarheel wrote:

I guess that explains it then.

Shootings for revenge don't count when it comes to calculating how dangerous it is to be in Law Enforcement in TEXAS.

---

If shootings for revenge 'don't count when it comes to how dangerous it is to be in law enforcement, then why are you using this one as an example?  Do you have the actual number of law enforcement killed on duty?

Why is the number in Texas so important to you?  And where do you get that there are more killed in Texas than in other states?  According to this, New York ranks higher in the number killed, 5, than Texas; and even California and Tribal Police are more dangerous for police than Texas with 3 each having officers killed.

So what's the problem with Texas?  I agree that these type posts are nothing but bait dangling in the water.

Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

If shootings for revenge 'don't count when it comes to how dangerous it is to be in law enforcement, then why are you using this one as an example?  Do you have the actual number of law enforcement killed on duty?

And where do you get that there are more killed in Texas than in other states?  

I agree that these type posts are nothing but bait dangling in the water.

The period of time measured was January 2016 through November 2016.

You would know that if you had read the linked articles.

It was you, not I, that made the distinction that it was a "hit" for revenge as you said, "...deliberate hit, no doubt for revenge...".  I believe this officer's death counts just as much as the others last year.

Then you go on to ask if I had the number of Law Enforcement Officers killed on duty.

Then you asked where I got that there were more killed in TEXAS than other states.

I never direct my posts toward you so your "bait" hypothesis is moot.

TEXAS has ranked #1 in institutional racism and there are oodles of examples in the form of National News stories that confirm this.

TEXAS has ranked #1 as the most dangerous state to work as a Law Enforcement Officer and again, there are oodles of examples in the form of National News stories that confirm this.

These two #1 rankings are inextricably linked.

Honored Social Butterfly

@nctarheel wrote:

TEXAS has ranked #1 as the most dangerous state to work as a Law Enforcement Officer and again, there are oodles of examples in the form of National News stories that confirm this.

--

No statistical proof as there are law enforcement officers in dangerous situations all over the country.  But you still haven't been out front as to the reason for your continued interest in Texas, even over your own home state.  But there are many who has gathered why.  But it's not too hard to make a case of anything when cherry picking isolated reports.  Especially when posting about a state you actually have no first hand knowledge about.

But just continue your little 'hobby' since you seem to get so much enjoyment out of it. 

As far as this latest happening being a 'hit' the circumstantial evidence points to that where the killer knew the officer's routine, knew he would be wearing a bullet-proof vest, and was waiting behind a dumpster for him to get out of his vehicle.  And it's in today's Chronicle as I have posted.

It wasn't because the victim was in law enforcement, but because of a previous investigation as a prosecutor.  Sounds more like a thing that could have happened in an east coast state. 

But again have fun..............

P.S.  But if you are going to continue posting these tidbits, perhaps you should make sure you get your facts straight, such as saying this was a Deputy Sheriff instead of in the Constable's office.  There is a huge difference here in Texas...  The Sheriff's office serves the county, and Constable's office is restricted to the various precincts.

And it would help if you included links to where you found the information so others can readily check the true facts. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

No statistical proof as there are law enforcement officers in dangerous situations all over the country.  But you still haven't been out front as to the reason for your continued interest in Texas, even over your own home state.  But there are many who has gathered why.

And it would help if you included links to where you found the information so others can readily check the true facts. 

The links were there for you to read; I cannot help that you didn't read them.

You did make a couple of statements for which I believe further explanation is necessary.

You commented, "But you still haven't been out front as to the reason for your continued interest in TEXAS, even over your own home state.

And then comes the real interesting part. "BUT THERE ARE MANY WHO HAS(sic) GATHERED WHY."

First of all, my username doesn't necessarily mean that I am from the Old North State just as yours doesn't necessarily mean you are from the Lone Star State.

As to the second comment, who are this MANY and what is the WHY?

A cryptic accusatory statement like that calls for an explanation.

Honored Social Butterfly

@nctarheel wrote:

First of all, my username doesn't necessarily mean that I am from the Old North State just as yours doesn't necessarily mean you are from the Lone Star State.

--

I believe that was addressed some time ago by your strong posts supporting a mid-east country even over that of ours.  It was suggested that the prime minister of that country has enlisted propagandists on the internet to spread the same. 

As far as my being from Texas, I believe I have furnished enough local information to verify that.  Of course you haven't furnished much information to verify you are from North Carolina.  Are you now saying you are not?  Of course there was intense objections from you regarding my concerns about your favorite country.  Then the posts about Texas started.  But that's not my problem.  Even more of 'dangling bait' as the poster said..

As far as the topic, more and more information is coming out regarding the reasons for the 'hit' on Greenwood.  He has spent years in police integrity units in prosecutor and investigative roles, and there are some who is in prison now, or has been, as a result of his work.

Of course crooked law enforcement officials aren't just particular to Texas, but in other states as well.  Probably in your favorite country.

Bye now....enough of this for me.

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

@msmccraw wrote:

Sorry, but what you said is simply not true.  Try looking up the statistics instead of relying on the NRA.

In 2015, Ohio had 1,397 firearm deaths with a rate of 11.9  (the lower the rate the better)

California had 3.095 firearm deaths with a rate of 7.7

Texas had 3,203 deaths with a rate of 11.7.

The states with the 5 highest death rates are Alaska, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and Wyoming.

The states with the 5 lowest death rates are Massachusetts, Hawaii, New York, Rhode Island and Connecticut.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm

I am sure this information is not something the NRA wants you to know.

Honored Social Butterfly

@msmccraw wrote:

--

They're just jealous because they don't live here.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png