From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: WHO WE ARE TODAY

Message 1 of 12

@retiredtraveler wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

"...I will have to agree with your post. but I also feel that will take a few generations to be ab le to change our culture and yes perhaps the future will be as you  hope  it will be....".
It will never change. I have absolutely no faith in people and politics. A lot of racism/bias is born out of impoverished circumstances, and the 'average American' is getting further and further behind financially. It has been generations since we decimated Native Americans. Look where we are with that. Income disparity continues to rise. Our educational and health standards continue to decline against other countries. People will continue to believe that it's the fault of other groups when they can't afford the basics of modern life. There are absolutely no foreseeable changes to be made.
And.....40% of the country still support Trump. That kind of thinking will continue to be passed down through the generations.

well, I do. but not in our generation.  I can see theat the   very young adults in many ways are more open than my children's generation. and if they cannot change all the issues that plague this country today. I guess we will  cease to be a super power. But, isn't this what happens anyway with all superpowers?

I have come to the conclusion that Trump supporters are mostly people that want to see the appropriate Supreme Court Justices, and the  appropriated federal judges that Trump has appointed and will continue to appoint until he is gone. 
They love the fact that Trump is a man that is in many ways a racist and these Americans have become extremely fearful or a mixed race American.

And the the financial inequality and and the lousy education have contributed to the society that we have today.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 12

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Well, thanks for that uplifting post, retired traveler. 🙂

And today, we have another thread on 1/3rd of the poll participants think blackface is just fine. It will never end..............

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Sometimes being a realist can't be "uplifting". Much of what Traveler said is true.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12

@rk9152 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

We are sexist, we are racist, and we oppress many. It’s just more out in the open now. The foundation of our nation was built using the enslaved labor of black people, and stealing land from Native Americans as we attempted to commit both physical and cultural genocide against them. 

Hiding it doesn’t make it go away or change history.  It just makes white people feel better. 

The only moral stance, IMO, to expose and dismantle our social and economic inequities. Failure to actively do that is akin to condoning it. 

Bad America!!!!  Bad America!!!!

Let's all leave and go back to where we originated.

Oh, thanks for your great contribution to the topic.

Ya' can't 'cast the mote' from your eye until you realize and admit it is there. The same thing goes for a country.  It's far past time that we address some of them.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12

@rker321 wrote:

"...I will have to agree with your post. but I also feel that will take a few generations to be ab le to change our culture and yes perhaps the future will be as you  hope  it will be....".
It will never change. I have absolutely no faith in people and politics. A lot of racism/bias is born out of impoverished circumstances, and the 'average American' is getting further and further behind financially. It has been generations since we decimated Native Americans. Look where we are with that. Income disparity continues to rise. Our educational and health standards continue to decline against other countries. People will continue to believe that it's the fault of other groups when they can't afford the basics of modern life. There are absolutely no foreseeable changes to be made.
And.....40% of the country still support Trump. That kind of thinking will continue to be passed down through the generations.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

@rk9152 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

We are sexist, we are racist, and we oppress many. It’s just more out in the open now. The foundation of our nation was built using the enslaved labor of black people, and stealing land from Native Americans as we attempted to commit both physical and cultural genocide against them. 

Hiding it doesn’t make it go away or change history.  It just makes white people feel better. 

The only moral stance, IMO, to expose and dismantle our social and economic inequities. Failure to actively do that is akin to condoning it. 

Because you apparently don’t feel like doing the moral work you should....it’s easier to run away. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12

@ManicProgressive wrote:

"...We are sexist, we are racist, and we oppress many. It’s just more out in the open now. The foundation of our nation was built using the enslaved labor of black people, and stealing land from Native Americans as we attempted to commit both physical and cultural genocide against them.....".

And the Chinese, and the Irish, and the Polish, and the Italians........................................

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I will have to agree with your post. but I also feel that will take a few generations to be ab le to change our culture and yes perhaps the future will be as you  hope  it will be

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors