Honored Social Butterfly

WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? # 2

Atlanta 11ALIVE: June 17, 2020 - Clayton County Police chief says officer's actions in holding teens... 

There is a report of a gun (and a picture) and a description of the young teens from a nearby shop owner.

Officer responds - pulls out his gun and holds them until they have shown their hands.

Parents and neighbors begin to scream at the officer and record.

Cops gets some of the teens to describe what happened - yes, they had had a gun - a BB gun - and had tossed it in some bushes - it was recovered.

The officer talked to the teens after it was all said and done, telling them how dangerous the situation was for them and him.  No charges were filed - teens were turned over to their parents.

Some people want the officer fired - some want change(?) although aren't specified in what de-escalation steps they prefer.

Clayton County News 06/17/2020 - Teens held at gunpoint by Clayton County officer observed in gas st... 

Here is a google search of the incident and surrounding responses - of course, the national media puts in their 2 cents worth.  You can watch all the videos and read all the back and forth. 

Google Search List Link: Clayton County, GA. Teens held at gunpoint by officer investigating a gun c... 

A pic of THE BB GUN: 

Screenshot_2020-06-18 Teens held at gunpoint by Clayton County officer observed in gas station parking lot with a weapon.png

Honored Social Butterfly

America has way too many Monday morning armchair Police Captains...  Walk a mile in the shoes of a police officer then offer some advice.

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

Jim posted..

America has way too many Monday morning armchair Police Captains... Walk a mile in the shoes of a police officer then offer some advice.

================================================================
Because of the....police are bad...like some on this board... defund the police, or like in MPS and some cities eliminate the police and the media coverage (you know what they are doing) its getting hard recruit new police officers.

I see what is happening to the police that protect us and it is scary.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

Watch out....a Vonspiract therofy post.....
Because of the....police are bad...like some on this board...but I can't say WHAT or WHO, but just make vague assertions....because it's a secret....and I can't say.....
defund the police, or like in MPS and some cities eliminate Is it better to mislead and tell others misinformation to get your point across?  Is that necessary?  cthe police and the media coverage (you know what they are doing) You know, but I can't tell you......LMAO!!!  its getting hard recruit new police officers.  So you say, can you prove it?  Cops don't want to be forced to hide or cover for the bad cops.

I see what is happening to the police OOOOo.....that protect us and gun down those hoodlums....it is scary.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

Well done, Officer!  Way to take the needs of the community in consideration.  It's a pleasure to see good police work in action and nobody got shot!  The difference between good cops and bad cops that the Police Apologists can't discern.

Thanks Gail!

Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 

Then why are so many of the community, neighbors and parents so upset, even now?

They want the officer fired !  Yep, protest are beginning for their point of view.  And racist comments like "why aren't white teenagers ever held at gun point"?    Who says they aren't?  If a few white kids had been apart of the mix in this incident - yes, they would had to hold their hands up too and be held by the cop.

For a solution, don't you think we should all get on the same page?

As the police chief pointed out, the chaos created during the incident could have provoked a completely different outcome.  What if one of the kids still had possession of the (BB) [hand] gun - and had taken it out?  OR if one of the parents or bystanders tried to take matters into their own hands and get the cop's gum.

In high tense situations, anything can go wrong - accentuate ANYTHING.  When do actions become reactions in high tense situations?

This is but one situation where cops are rethinking their stance and their choice of professions - so you say - good police work, "well done, officer",  good cops / bad cops ???

Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 

Then why are so many of the community, neighbors and parents so upset, even now?  LOL...you're pretty bright.  You tell me and the other readers...

They want the officer fired !  Great!  I'm sure many won't quickly forget the image of a cop, holding a few teens under gun point, yelling at them to put their hands up, or he "will hurt them"....are yith me?  Do you need more?

This is the environment the police and the Police Apologists have created in this country....see how helpful they have been?

Yep, protest are beginning for their point of view.  And racist comments like "why aren't white teenagers ever held at gun point"?  So?  Good questions seem to bother the apologists????   Who says they aren't?  The person who asked.....

If a few white kids had been apart of the mix in this incident - yes, they would had to hold their hands up too and be held by the cop. "no doubt"  Why are you so bothered by this given the climate?  She everyone run their view across an AARP poster and get approval?

For a solution, don't you think we should all get on the same page?  Yes, Gail, but we need to be reading from the same book, FIRST!!!

As the police chief pointed out, the chaos created during the incident could have provoked a completely different outcome.  Could have, but didn't.  As I said, and you TOTALLY ignored because you often do, the cop did a good job....is that OK with you?  whatt if one of the kids still had possession of the (BB) [hand] gun - and had taken it out?  "What if"???  What if he said to the officer, "I have a BB gun", with his hands in the air?.....OR if one of the parents or bystanders tried to take matters into their own hands and get the cop's gum.  "What if?"  God lord!!!  What if the Atlanta city dispatched two cops/squad cars at every call until Georgia get's a grip on what they have created?  What if????

In high tense situations, anything can go wrong - accentuate ANYTHING.  That's been true since the beginning of policing....When do actions become reactions in high tense situations?  When the tipping point is reached.  Sounds like Atlanta needs to manage the tipping point.....

This is but one situation where cops are rethinking their stance Good!  They ought to rethink many others....and their choice of professions Good, maybe the good cops will help the bad cops out the door.  - so you say - good police work, "well done, officer",  good cops / bad cops ???  THINK!

Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1   In a country that has over  300,00,00 guns in the street,,  and a culture that  believes that is their right to have guns I guess to defend themselves  from their imaginary enemies.  I simply don't expect too much as far as any of these happenings

Things like this  do not happen at least with the frequency that happens here. but as Churchill has said.
Americans always do the right thing, after trying everything else.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

@Roxanna35 wrote:

a culture that  believes that is their right to have guns

The country does have the right to have guns.  That is guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the Constitution.  There are countries that doesn't have that right.  That doesn't mean that a person is required to own them.

As with other rights this can be abused by some much like the freedom of speech can be abused by preventing others from expressing their opinions.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2  I agree with what you area saying, I am not arguing about what the Constitutions says.  what I don't understand is the love affair that   exists with guns in this country. If there is just the whisper of anything happening to their guns is amazing the violence that it creates.
Is not the right to have guns is the reason as to why they are needed in such numbers.

Other countries have guns  and they are used differently and you can't deny the culture  regarding guns that we have here.
LIsten, Yes, everyone has the right to have a gun but not everyone should be able to have a gun.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

@Roxanna35 wrote:

I am not arguing about what the Constitutions says.  what I don't understand is the love affair that   exists with guns in this country. If there is just the whisper of anything happening to their guns is amazing the violence that it creates.  Is not the right to have guns is the reason as to why they are needed in such numbers.

Basically gun ownership has been a part of the country since Europeans colonized it.  During the settling westward, it was necessary for protection and for obtaining food.  They were used to win our freedom from England.  All this is why the right of ownership was written into the Constitution.

I grew up with firearms, learning to shoot at a young age, including how to safely handle them.  But back then there wasn't as much public concern.  People still used them for hunting...we lived in a rural area where they were used for hunting and controlling predators of livestock.  

I have no problem with anyone owning firearms, however I do have a problem with owners displaying them openly in public like a badge of honor.  I gave up ownership after experiences in Vietnam, although I would probably enjoy target shooting.  I did teach my children how to safely handle guns by using bb guns.  

One thing I do believe, it's not the guns that causes problems, but the people using them.  

Honored Social Butterfly

Tx said: One thing I do believe, it's not the guns that causes problems, but the people using them.  

While I am all in favor of proactively incarcerating gun owners, I think the simpler solution would be to increase the education and other requirements for owning a firearm. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

Tx said: One thing I do believe, it's not the guns that causes problems, but the people using them.  

While I am all in favor of proactively incarcerating gun owners, I think the simpler solution would be to increase the education and other requirements for owning a firearm. 

So you are in favor of jailing someone without a legal reason?  Are you also willing to scrap the Constitution?  

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png