Prevention is the best medicine when it comes to avoiding surprise medical bills! Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

Message 71 of 112

@fangoh45 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Soosie wrote:
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

@cent............I will ask what is your need to know? Sounds like baiting to me.

Of course.  They are baiting and hypocritical in their posts.  Notice those accusing others of lacking "Christian values" are not doing so themselves.  They are more like the Sadducees and Pharisees of Jesus times.

Tx if you are   such a follower of the Bible and Chrisitaniy how come you find it OK to have those children being separated from their parents/ You seem to be a Christian when is convenient to whatever you are saying or afguing at the time. Frankly it really offends me when you quote the Bible. and then try to say that you are a Crhsitian.

Are you qualified to judge who is Christian or not?  Should one or more be judged as to their degree of Christianity by such things as taking a stand on people being inconvenienced temporarily for breaking the laws of a country? Yes. Republicans are placing an evil and unworkable LAW ahead of a Christian's duty to love our neighbors.

Should one or mores Christianity be judged by their views on abortion? Yes. The Old Testament says taking the life of a fetus while committing another crime is a punishable by a small fine paid to the woman's husband or owner. Jesus never mentioned it. It is only those who wish to control the lives of women who pretend there's biblical justification for their need to dominate women.

I guess this would be a convenient time  to bring up-"Judge not, lest ye also be judged."Again the point is missed by the RW. The admonition is to not condemn without cause. Do you really think Jesus doesn't JUDGE us and expect us to judge the behavior of others that it might be corrected?

"Let he/she without sin cast the first stone." So stop jailing people for misdemeanors and USING drugs.

Keep in mind, a totally open border is a greenlight for drug dealers, child traffickers and other miscreants. and a totally closed mind is a haven for GOPers. NOBODY except GOPers even mentions a "totally open border".

Letting even one of these despicable beings into our country...too many  Yep, that's why President Obama reserved the jails for the actual criminals and had the "police" concentrate on ID'ing THEM, not pretending refugees and 2 year old children were in need of incarceration as Republicans now demand.

Did you  judge the previous administrations Christianity as well, for the same laws-The same separation of children? Of course. President Clinton ended the practice as soon as the courts ordered it ended back in 1997. President Obama as noted before concentrated on the actual criminals and released the families until their trials, and over the years between 96% and 99% of the people released showed up for their court date. The missing 1-4% PROBABLY just went home while waiting the TWO YEARS for some courts to get to them, thanks to Republicans blocking all attempts to incease the number of judges hearing the cases. The answer, no because you Liberals here travel a one-way street.Just another GOPer sound-bite meaning nothing (except loyal Fox viewing)

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 112

@Epster wrote:

@rker321: Gandhi said, an eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind. Stated another way, judge not that ye be not judged. You knew that, correct? Smiley Happy

First off, the two sayings are totally different. Gandhi is pointing out the futility of revenge.

Jesus is being "misquoted" because leaving off the second half of the quote gives guilty people a slippery escape from their crimes. The entire quote from Luke 6 is "Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned." In short it is an admonition to avoid CONDEMNING people for no good cause, it says NOTHING about not exposing evil deeds and evil doers.

So for Gandhi, Republicans need to stop punishing and start helping and for Jesus, GOPers need to stop sending infants and children to prison without a trial or even a sustainable charge.

Those of us who condemn the Republican Party and Der Trumper for ripping the infants from their mother's arms so GOPers can "look tough" and please their barbaric base are doing what God, Christ, Gandhi and decency require.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 112

@fangoh45 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Soosie wrote:
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?
." 

Keep in mind, a totally open border is a greenlight for drug dealers, child traffickers and other miscreants. Letting even one of these despicable beings into our country...too many 

Ah....there is that word despicable.  Not the same thing as deplorable.  No...I didn't attribute it to a past presidential candidate. If I had meant that, I would have said that.  I know I used the word before in regard to the persons who fit into that criteria, I also knew I'd heard/seen someone else use it in the same context before.  I didn't remember who, so I said 'someone'.  I believe you said something else about my use of the term that wasn't especially complimentary.  So...why it is you do that way?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 112

@Epster wrote:

@rker321: Gandhi said, an eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind. Stated another way, judge not that ye be not judged. You knew that, correct? Smiley Happy 

I didn't want to get involved in the Christian discussion so I just followed along and when I got to this I stopped.  I think you've mixed two things that shouldn't be mixed.

Gandhi said this to illustrate the futility of retribution...pay backs...the desire for revenge for real or perceived wrongs done you instead of justice meted out to the one who is guilty of wrongdoing.  A desire similar to hate with dire consequences for everyone, including the one who succumbs to that desire, however justified it may seem.

The biblical quote essentially cautions people to first judge themselves so as not to become hypocrites.  I'd suppose to a religious person that might mean that no man is qualified to judge his fellow man, only God is.  Jesus spoke a parable about the Mote and the Beam in his Sermon on the Mount.  It is an admonition to take care of your own flaws and problems before you presume about others.  Each are worthwhile observing in one's own behavior.  The meanings are not quite the same in my view.  

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 112

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

racism and sexism witnessed here.

Who is the ones who are continually dwelling on those topics?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 112

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

No, it isn't "about me" even though you'd prefer to make it such; it's about "Christians". Then you don't claim to be a Christian?  I'm often confused by the dicotomy of what some claim and what they post.  Of course it's about the criteria of being a Christian as defined by the teachings of the New Testament.  If you was a Christian would would know.

Are we all Gods children?  Colossians 1:16.  Of course, but that has nothing to being a Christian.  Are Jews, Buddhists, Muslims, etc Christians?  No, a Christian is one who follows the teachings of Christ and follows His commandments. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 112

@Centristsin2010  True Christians know better than to put words into God's mouth.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 112

@Soosie wrote:
Nope! He's not posting here.@Cent............Probably because He is a gentleman and doesn't go where He is not welcome.

I'm sure He would be most welcome where Real Christians gather and emulate Him.  But maybe I'm wrong.  I'm confident He would loath the racism and sexism witnessed here.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 112
Nope! He's not posting here.@Cent............Probably because He is a gentleman and doesn't go where He is not welcome.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 112

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Sorry you've confused yourself, Tex.  This topic isn't about me.  I'm asking what it means to be a Christian.  Is the info within the link accurate?  I'm asking for Christians to respond accordinly.  Thanks!"

Yes, the topic is about you since you started it. No, it isn't "about me" even though you'd prefer to make it such; it's about "Christians". The question applies since you are the one that is continually using it by questioning others. I'm often confused by the dicotomy of what some claim and what they post.  There is a ready reference if you are interested in being a Christian.  It is called the New Testament and is the official guideline directly from God through the Apostles. Thanks.

Being a Christian is a personal relationship with God, through Jesus and his word.  We all have our own feelings about being a Christian, and why we are.  Just because one is a Christian doesn't mean laying on the floor and allowing others to walk all over them, I don't think anyone suggested such.  but like Jesus when he threw the moneychangers out of the temple, or the Early Christians willing to go to their death because of it.  Are we all Gods children?  Colossians 1:16

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors