Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

Message 61 of 112

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Soosie wrote:
Would Jesus favor your policies on the seperating children from their parents? Would Jesus want the earth left barren for the greed of a few knowing generations need to live on it for centuries to come?

@creppelrm........Wouldn't it be more appropriate for you to ask these questions directly to Jesus?

Nope!  He's not posting here.

No, He's not. However, He DID post his opinions (in easily accessable references) on those who fail to treat their neighbors with kindness, who dispoil their surroundings, who use the law to lie cheat and steal and who abuse children, and in each case, He's 180 degrees from the Republican position.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 112

@jimc91 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

I appreciate your response, JimC.

So if I understand correctly, Christianity is different for everyone; each has their own different experiences.  Am I understanding you correctly?

And btw, I'm pleased to hear of your experience in 1986.

I don't have an answer for your question.  For me "Christianity" is a religious word that gets bantered about in many circles.  As I mentioned, I am not a religious person.  What I described to you was about my personal relationship and experience with God via Christ Jesus.   For me my entire world changed in one single day.  I never felt the need or desire to go back.  I much like where my tent is pitched...  That said, I am ready to leave this world and be in the presence God.  Today would be just fine with me, but it is entirely his call...

Oh Dear Jim  you are not planning on leaving us soon are you" Who am I going to argue with?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 112

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

So if I understand correctly, Christianity is different for everyone; each has their own different experiences.  Am I understanding you correctly?

I don't have an answer for your question.  For me "Christianity" is a religious word that gets bantered about in many circles.  As I mentioned, I am not a religious person.  What I described to you was about my personal relationship and experience with God via Christ Jesus.   For me my entire world changed in one single day.  I never felt the need or desire to go back.  I much like where my tent is pitched...  That said, I am ready to leave this world and be in the presence God.  Today would be just fine with me, but it is entirely his call...

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 112

@umbarch64 wrote:

Whoa, Nellie!  That boat hasn't sailed yet and you're already playing shuffleboard?  Don't you think it would be better if you waited until the big guy made up his mind.  I've heard tell He has the final say and conceit doesn't count for much. 

Perhaps you are the one who should 'whoa, Nellie'.  We are given an outline in the New Testament of why we should expect a ticket on the boat.  Like in 2 Timothy 1:12 "for which cause I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed. For I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that Day." 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 112

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 112

Interesting discussion. I'm not here to take any sides, but only to say that I found this paragraph especially interesting.

Following Jesus means putting aside all immorality and striving to obey God out of gratitude for salvation. Unfortunately, Paul also describes the Christian life as kind of a war within—between the new self, born of the Holy Spirit, and the old self, born of sin (Rom. 7:13–25). One only has to read through the epistles of the New Testament to see how much the apostles are constantly correcting, teaching, reminding, and commanding people to forsake sin and walk according to the salvation Jesus freely gave them (1 Cor. 16:13; Eph. 4:17–5:15; Col. 3:5–11). In this life, disciples are a work in progress. They are still in need of correction, proper teaching, and being reminded of who Christ really is, what the Word of God really says, and what following Christ really means.

The war within is so true. We all have to struggle with our own demons. Hopefully, and by the grace of God, we succeed in our struggles. That the apostles corrected their followers is much the same as Moses acted to correct the behavior of the struggling Hebrews that he was leading. We all need spiritual guidance. We are, indeed, a work in progress, and it is up to ourselves to keep working at it, admit when we make a mistake, and strive to do better. 

Matthew chapters 5, 6, and 7 are a good summary of the teachings of Jesus on how a disciple is to live. In ch 7 v12, He gives us the Golden Rule: "Do to others whatever you would have them do to you. This is the law and the prophets." 

What I find very interesting is that every major religion has some version of The Golden Rule. Even most secularists and atheists believe in some moral code of conduct that fits this narrative. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule

I've always tried to follow this rule, and I have often failed, but I try to be mindful and try to do better. That's all any of us can do.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 112

@umbarch64 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

It means I am a sinner and have confessed it.  It means I am not perfect by above all it means, I have asked for and received forgiveness.  With that comes the gift of eternal life.  I did not earn it or deserve it but by the grace of God, I have it!

Whoa, Nellie!  That boat hasn't sailed yet and you're already playing shuffleboard?  Don't you think it would be better if you waited until the big guy made up his mind.  I've heard tell He has the final say and conceit doesn't count for much. 

It would be just like casting pearls before swine...  Seek and ye shall find, or don't...

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 112

@jimc91 wrote:

It means I am a sinner and have confessed it.  It means I am not perfect by above all it means, I have asked for and received forgiveness.  With that comes the gift of eternal life.  I did not earn it or deserve it but by the grace of God, I have it!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 112

@Soosie wrote:
Would Jesus favor your policies on the seperating children from their parents? Would Jesus want the earth left barren for the greed of a few knowing generations need to live on it for centuries to come?

@creppelrm........Wouldn't it be more appropriate for you to ask these questions directly to Jesus?

Ahhh...Soosie, Soosie...I know some people say they do that regularly.  I even allow that they they may think they had a two-way conversation.  I have seen no evidence supporting that.  Might have, happened but then again maybe they only think it did.  The brain is a funny thing that way. 

Jesus didn't lie.  People who followed him have and then said they heard it from Jesus or God or some other name for an ethereal entity which in turn was a lie.  Said deliberately and with intent to mislead.  More than once. Those are lies and shouldn't be 'believed'.  Belief is accepting something without benefit of rigorous proof.  Opens the door wide for charlatans and such. You know that.

Perhaps if you advise this poster to ask, "What would Jesus do?" and suggest he do it, that might be more productive.  I have the utmost respect for that man.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 112

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

It means I am a sinner and have confessed it.  It means I am not perfect but above all it means, I have asked for and received forgiveness.  With that comes the gift of eternal life.  I did not earn it or deserve it but by the grace of God, I have it!

Thanks, Jim.  Do you think the link is accurate?  I suspect it may be somewhat redundant to you, but I'd appreciate your take. Thanks again.

No person knows what is in another persons heart and it is not my place to judge anyone but myself.  I read the article but I found it pretty general.  I think for me and my personal relationship with Christ is and can only be understood by me.  I believe it is a personal experience for each individual that has confessed their sin to God and received their own forgiveness.

I am not and do not really consider myself a "Religious Person".  It was the "Religious leaders" of the time that prosecuted and condemned Jesus to be nailed to that cross...

I do understand that it was necessary for Christ to pay the price as he did in order to deliver me from the evil one.  God ordained it and his love for me is so great that he allowed his very own son to pay for my salvation.  That is the definition of real Love.  Yes I am loved.

As for me, my life changed on July 17, 1986 when God chose to reveal himself to me in a way that I had no problem understanding his desires for me as a man.  That was the day I accepted his gift of eternal life.  What an exciting ride it has been so far!  Ups and Downs,  he carries me everyday even on the days when I certainly do not deserve it.

My advice to my fellow man?  Seek and you will find... The peace of mind that comes after you find it is priceless...

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors