From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

Message 51 of 112
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

=======================

This is not a subject for this board.

Me thinks it just another thread that is posted for one thing...to divide people.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 112

@jimc91 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

I appreciate your response, JimC.

So if I understand correctly, Christianity is different for everyone; each has their own different experiences.  Am I understanding you correctly?

And btw, I'm pleased to hear of your experience in 1986.

I don't have an answer for your question.  For me "Christianity" is a religious word that gets bantered about in many circles.  As I mentioned, I am not a religious person.  What I described to you was about my personal relationship and experience with God via Christ Jesus.   For me my entire world changed in one single day.  I never felt the need or desire to go back.  I much like where my tent is pitched...  That said, I am ready to leave this world and be in the presence God.  Today would be just fine with me, but it is entirely his call...

That's fair....

So, if I understand you correctly, you not saying your a Christian, but through Jesus, you've developed your own personal relationship with God.  Don't mean to oversimplify it; just trying to understand....

So, where do "Christian Values" come in?  Or is that too, dependent on the individual?

I do consider myself a Christian.  Christ purchased my salvation with his blood on that cross that day.  I am eternally grateful for such an act of love.

Excellent; thanks for clarifying. 

"Christian Values" is another term that is bantered about by all kinds of folks.  From what I've read, "Christian Values" are the values found in the teachings of Christ.  You seem to have a different view.  Can you articulate what you mean?

Do others believe there are a core set of "Christian Values"?  Just curious.....

From one source, some of these are:

The biblical teachings of Jesus include:[3]

Explicit directions in the New Testament text include:

• Jesus' enumeration of the intention of the 10 commandments, contained in the sermon on the mount is considered a key component of Christian ethics and a fundamental recipe for Christian conduct for centuries. This large unified text was meant as a counter to the practices of the day that followed the letter of the law but denied the spirit of the law.
  • One of the characteristic contrasts between Christianity and its Jewish roots occurs along the axis of "Law". The Christian holds that for un-redeemed humankind it is impossible to follow any holy law at all, and further holds that only regeneration makes it possible for an individual to start and persist not breaking at least some of the body of holy law. Within this context falls the only letter from the totality of New Testament authorship to the totality of the Christian church on that topic. It is also profoundly important to recognize that these are "placeholders" that refer to Old Testament texts which more completely elaborate what each means. Acts 15:24 enumerates the four things that Christianity requires abstinence from: 1) food sacrificed to idols, 2) blood, 3) meat of strangled animals, and 4) sexual immorality. These all were part of the practices included in the polytheism of Greek and Roman civilizations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_values

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 112

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

It means I am a sinner and have confessed it.  It means I am not perfect by above all it means, I have asked for and received forgiveness.  With that comes the gift of eternal life.  I did not earn it or deserve it but by the grace of God, I have it!

Perfect CINO response - salvation by YOUR WORD, without a single Christ-like act.

Jesus' little brother James pointed out that while salvation is by grace alone, faith without works is dead. We're asked NOT to SAY we love Jesus, BUT TO SHOW IT.

If you truly seek salvation, then you must REPENT, which means "to turn around", NOT by a snappy about-face, but by turning AWAY from your sinful behavior, rejecting hate and malace and seeing Mankind as your brother WHOM YOU HELP in whatever ways you can.

2100 years ago, Caesar was "The State". Today WE ARE. Our Government is US - WE THE PEOPLE. To pretend you can use your vote to persecute those less fortunate and take from the least of these and still be Christian is the mark of the dedicated CINO. Pray for the stranger within your gates on Sunday, order the minions of Government to rip her child from her arms on Monday.

Another one...

It would be like casting pearls before swine...  

You cannot work or earn or buy your salvation.  It is a gift from God that must be accepted.  You or me will never be good enough or do enough good things to deserve or possess salvation, however there is a way to have it...

in fact it is so simple that many people, teachers, doctors, lawyers and also "Religious People" cannot or refuse to accept it.

Therefor, precious pearls are merely trampled into the mud.

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 112

@Olderscout66 wrote:

2100 years ago, Caesar was "The State". Today WE ARE. Our Government is US - WE THE PEOPLE. To pretend you can use your vote to persecute those less fortunate and take from the least of these and still be Christian is the mark of the dedicated CINO. Pray for the stranger within your gates on Sunday, order the minions of Government to rip her child from her arms on Monday.

What does this have to do with JimC or of being a Christian?  Did you not read were Jesus said that His Kingdom was not of this world, but there are those here who persist in equating politics with religion.  Some here accuse the Republican element of doing that, but here it is more the Democrats.

And note that Democratic candidates persist of using pulphits for their political campaign venues.  Then they blame Republicans for favoring Christianity.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 112

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

This is the guidelines I look at these 'refugees'.  Look at the mother of the current poster child that is pictured on Time magazine.  A good family, father employed at a good job, yet she left home with the child at 6 AM to claim asylum here....FROM WHAT? From a "civil war" that would either turn her son into a murdering rapist or kill him and the rest of her family.

She even spent $5,000 dollars for a coyote.  Wouldn't that have been better spent on her children? She spent it  ON HER CHILDREN in the hope it would SAVE THEM.

From 1845 to 1855, we admitted a 15% increase in our total population in the form of REFUGEES from strife and famine in Europe. Seems to have worked out. The only significant difference in those refugees and the ones coming today is their skin color. You really think that's an okay reason for refusing them entry?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 112

@jimc91 wrote:

It means I am a sinner and have confessed it.  It means I am not perfect by above all it means, I have asked for and received forgiveness.  With that comes the gift of eternal life.  I did not earn it or deserve it but by the grace of God, I have it!

Perfect CINO response - salvation by YOUR WORD, without a single Christ-like act.

Jesus' little brother James pointed out that while salvation is by grace alone, faith without works is dead. We're asked NOT to SAY we love Jesus, BUT TO SHOW IT.

If you truly seek salvation, then you must REPENT, which means "to turn around", NOT by a snappy about-face, but by turning AWAY from your sinful behavior, rejecting hate and malace and seeing Mankind as your brother WHOM YOU HELP in whatever ways you can.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 112

@MaVolta wrote:

@jimc91 - What you describe reminds me a lot of the way my daddy felt about religion.

He was not a religious man though he was baptized and raised in the Baptist church as a kid. As he got older, he saw a lot of hypocrisy with some of the admired members of the church (men who cheated in business, cheated on their wives, drank more than they should, you get the picture). My mother's argument was - at least the hypocrites are in church!

Daddy believed that a person's experience with God was a personal one; it wasn't found in a church building or an institution, it was between him and God. He believed that how a person acted and treated others was the important thing. He was honest in his business, loyal to his family, generous to a fault, and no sacrifice considered to great to go the extra mile to help another person, even a stranger. He lived every bit of the golden rule.

After Daddy passed away, I was on vacation in Ireland. I was hiking on a trail along a ridge alone. I saw a man working his sheep with a border collie on the hillside across the field. It was so beautiful and I wished so much that Daddy could be here to see this. (He loved border collies). For some reason I can't explain, I felt a "presence" with me. I felt that he was there, and he told me that he was in a beautiful place. I talked to him a while, and he said he had to go, that there was work to do. I could tell the "presence" was gone and I was alone. I do believe he is in heaven.

Call me crazy if you will, but I swear it was a true experience. I've heard other people tell similar stories about people who have passed away. Maybe it's a phenomenon or just some overly active wishful thinking, but the feeling was very real to me. 

I certainly do not think you are crazy.  

It was a day similar to what you described that changed my life as a man.  And it was a very good and fulfilling change.  

Thanks for telling of your experience.  Yes, it was likely very real.

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 112

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

So if I understand correctly, Christianity is different for everyone; each has their own different experiences.  Am I understanding you correctly?

I don't have an answer for your question.  For me "Christianity" is a religious word that gets bantered about in many circles.  As I mentioned, I am not a religious person.  What I described to you was about my personal relationship and experience with God via Christ Jesus.   For me my entire world changed in one single day.  I never felt the need or desire to go back.  I much like where my tent is pitched...  That said, I am ready to leave this world and be in the presence God.  Today would be just fine with me, but it is entirely his call...

That's fair....

So, if I understand you correctly, you not saying your a Christian, but through Jesus, you've developed your own personal relationship with God.  Don't mean to oversimplify it; just trying to understand....

So, where do "Christian Values" come in?  Or is that too, dependent on the individual?

I do consider myself a Christian.  Christ purchased my salvation with his blood on that cross that day.  I am eternally grateful for such an act of love.  

"Christian Values" is another term that is bantered about by all kinds of folks.

For me, my life motivation is one of gratitude to God for changing me from the person I was, to a person I like and understand.  I see his presence and love in my life everyday. When he uses me to solve problems here and when I realize what just happen it is extremely exhilarating. 

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 112

@jimc91 - What you describe reminds me a lot of the way my daddy felt about religion.

He was not a religious man though he was baptized and raised in the Baptist church as a kid. As he got older, he saw a lot of hypocrisy with some of the admired members of the church (men who cheated in business, cheated on their wives, drank more than they should, you get the picture). My mother's argument was - at least the hypocrites are in church!

Daddy believed that a person's experience with God was a personal one; it wasn't found in a church building or an institution, it was between him and God. He believed that how a person acted and treated others was the important thing. He was honest in his business, loyal to his family, generous to a fault, and no sacrifice considered to great to go the extra mile to help another person, even a stranger. He lived every bit of the golden rule.

After Daddy passed away, I was on vacation in Ireland. I was hiking on a trail along a ridge alone. I saw a man working his sheep with a border collie on the hillside across the field. It was so beautiful and I wished so much that Daddy could be here to see this. (He loved border collies). For some reason I can't explain, I felt a "presence" with me. I felt that he was there, and he told me that he was in a beautiful place. I talked to him a while, and he said he had to go, that there was work to do. I could tell the "presence" was gone and I was alone. I do believe he is in heaven.

Call me crazy if you will, but I swear it was a true experience. I've heard other people tell similar stories about people who have passed away. Maybe it's a phenomenon or just some overly active wishful thinking, but the feeling was very real to me. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 112

@jimc91 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

That's fair....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors