Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

Message 41 of 112

@Epster wrote:

@rker321: Gandhi said, an eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind. Stated another way, judge not that ye be not judged. You knew that, correct? Smiley Happy 

And yet you obviously judged another here to be "swine". ..... Smiley Happy

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 112

@Epster wrote:

"Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces." ... Smiley Happy 

So then you think that the poster is "swine"?    ........ Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 112

@Soosie wrote:

@cent............I will ask what is your need to know? Sounds like baiting to me.

As does most every topic you have posted.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 112

@fangoh45 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

I appreciate your response, JimC.

So if I understand correctly, Christianity is different for everyone; each has their own different experiences.  Am I understanding you correctly?

And btw, I'm pleased to hear of your experience in 1986.

I don't have an answer for your question.  For me "Christianity" is a religious word that gets bantered about in many circles.  As I mentioned, I am not a religious person.  What I described to you was about my personal relationship and experience with God via Christ Jesus.   For me my entire world changed in one single day.  I never felt the need or desire to go back.  I much like where my tent is pitched...  That said, I am ready to leave this world and be in the presence God.  Today would be just fine with me, but it is entirely his call...

That's fair....

So, if I understand you correctly, you not saying your a Christian, but through Jesus, you've developed your own personal relationship with God.  Don't mean to oversimplify it; just trying to understand....

So, where do "Christian Values" come in?  Or is that too, dependent on the individual?

Some will call me crazy, and maybe there is something to their claim.

To me being a good Christian, Jew, Hindu, Muslim, etc., etc. can be summed up in one word-LOVE!

Do I adhere to that during all of my waking hours? Unfortunately, no, but I would like to think I'm striving to that goal.

Well said, fang.  Though most different religions strive to get there with different Gods/ideals.

Many times the question is asked. "What is the meaning of life?" Again, I believe it is "LOVE". But you got this one wrong, it's "42".

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 112

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

So if I understand correctly, Christianity is different for everyone; each has their own different experiences.  Am I understanding you correctly?

I don't have an answer for your question.  For me "Christianity" is a religious word that gets bantered about in many circles.  As I mentioned, I am not a religious person.  What I described to you was about my personal relationship and experience with God via Christ Jesus.   For me my entire world changed in one single day.  I never felt the need or desire to go back.  I much like where my tent is pitched...  That said, I am ready to leave this world and be in the presence God.  Today would be just fine with me, but it is entirely his call...

That's fair....

So, if I understand you correctly, you not saying your a Christian, but through Jesus, you've developed your own personal relationship with God.  Don't mean to oversimplify it; just trying to understand....

So, where do "Christian Values" come in?  Or is that too, dependent on the individual?

Some will call me crazy, and maybe there is something to their claim.

To me being a good Christian, Jew, Hindu, Muslim, etc., etc. can be summed up in one word-LOVE!

Do I adhere to that during all of my waking hours? Unfortunately, no, but I would like to think I'm striving to that goal.

Many times the question is asked. "What is the meaning of life?" Again, I believe it is "LOVE".

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 112

@Olderscout66 wrote:

From 1845 to 1855, we admitted a 15% increase in our total population in the form of REFUGEES from strife and famine in Europe.

That is completely off topic and has nothing to do with this discussion.  However, there was plenty of open land to be settled, plenty of room to accommodate growth.  Today the country is highly settled from coast-to-coast with a huge population and the country is getting to be like China and bordering on over-population.  Additionally the country has immigration laws which are to be enforced and the doors are not that opened to anyone just to walk in.

And my being in an inter-racial family, I would believe that you are attempting to use racism to support an argument where that is not a factor...but federal laws is.

We see from your Honduran example that what the eye sees isn't always accurate.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 112

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

That's fair....

I do consider myself a Christian.  Christ purchased my salvation with his blood on that cross that day.  I am eternally grateful for such an act of love.

Excellent; thanks for clarifying. 

"Christian Values" is another term that is bantered about by all kinds of folks.  From what I've read, "Christian Values" are the values found in the teachings of Christ.  You seem to have a different view.  Can you articulate what you mean?

Do others believe there are a core set of "Christian Values"?  Just curious.....

From one source, some of these are:

The biblical teachings of Jesus include:[3]

Explicit directions in the New Testament text include:

• Jesus' enumeration of the intention of the 10 commandments, contained in the sermon on the mount is considered a key component of Christian ethics and a fundamental recipe for Christian conduct for centuries. This large unified text was meant as a counter to the practices of the day that followed the letter of the law but denied the spirit of the law.
  • One of the characteristic contrasts between Christianity and its Jewish roots occurs along the axis of "Law". The Christian holds that for un-redeemed humankind it is impossible to follow any holy law at all, and further holds that only regeneration makes it possible for an individual to start and persist not breaking at least some of the body of holy law. Within this context falls the only letter from the totality of New Testament authorship to the totality of the Christian church on that topic. It is also profoundly important to recognize that these are "placeholders" that refer to Old Testament texts which more completely elaborate what each means. Acts 15:24 enumerates the four things that Christianity requires abstinence from: 1) food sacrificed to idols, 2) blood, 3) meat of strangled animals, and 4) sexual immorality. These all were part of the practices included in the polytheism of Greek and Roman civilizations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_values

My view is simple.  It's not my place to judge others in how they live their life or to define what values they should have.  That is between them and God.  

As I mentioned before I am not a religious person and am not interested in becoming one. 

You have asked a lot of questions, let me pose two to you.

Have you come to a place in your spiritual life where you know for certain that if you were to die today, you would go to heaven?

We are all going to die one day, If you were to die today and stood before God and he asked you, why should I let you into my heaven, what would you say?

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 112

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 112

@KidBoy2 wrote:
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

=======================

This is not a subject for this board.

Me thinks it just another thread that is posted for one thing...to divide people.

Not a subject for this board; why is that?

Many believe we are a country of Christian Values? What do you think?

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 112

@Olderscout66 wrote:

This is the guidelines I look at these 'refugees'.  Look at the mother of the current poster child that is pictured on Time magazine.  A good family, father employed at a good job, yet she left home with the child at 6 AM to claim asylum here....FROM WHAT? From a "civil war" that would either turn her son into a murdering rapist or kill him and the rest of her family.

She even spent $5,000 dollars for a coyote.  Wouldn't that have been better spent on her children? She spent it  ON HER CHILDREN in the hope it would SAVE THEM.

Have you even read the articles regarding her leaving home?  Her living had nothing to do with war, asylum or anything except wanting to come to the United States.  Her husband had a decent job, their life wasn't spectacular but comfortable. 

She slipped away early one morning with their youngest child using that $5,000 she took away from the family and subjecting the child to the dangers of the journey.  Incidentally, ICE reports that she was apprehended back in 2013 and deported.

You think this is a picture of someone concerned about conditions in her country:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/06/21/18/4D7EB36200000578-5869829-image-a-18_1529601211499.jp...

Look at the photos of the family at the link below. Does it look as if their family was in danger?  I would think that they would fit into any suburban city here in our country.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5869829/Father-two-year-old-face-child-separation-crisis-spe...

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors