Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Reply
Valued Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
216
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

216 Views
Message 31 of 112

At the outset I was not convinced this was a good topic to start.  I now think it was.  It adds to the understanding of convictions and how people arrive at them.  Convictions determine motive and that in turn defines the actions or inactions that follow.  I think Centrist did a fine job dealing with the inevitable angst people feel when their beliefs are questioned, no matter what those beliefs may be.  Thank you, sir, for your moderation.

 

I also wish to thank all the participants who remained restrained in discussing that, which in the end remains a thing absolutely unique to the individual.  In the end, a choice made only by the individual no matter what infuenced that choice. 

 

Belief is a conviction held that is not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof.  It is not fact and cannot be proven so without incontrovertible evidence. I know of no belief that does not rely upon the presumption of fact and the truth of it.  Assuming participants are absolutely candid when stating or clarifying a belief, their words reveal something of the underlying character and nature of the believer. A lack of candor does too.  In neither case, does statement or clarification, no matter the underpinnings cited, establish belief as fact.  It remains belief.  That is not necessarily a 'bad' thing.  Could be.  However, that practice would matter a great deal when belief is conflated with fact inappropriately. 

 

Man's brain rationalizes what his senses tell it.   I think that would qualify as fact.  The brain's capacity is limited.  For that reason alone a presumption of belief to be fact is not warranted.  Homo Sapiens is not omniscient and plenipotent. Those are attributes of what a God is, the full scope of which is wholly beyond my comprehension.  I know of no human that has God's ability to understand the entirety of truth, whatever they may claim.  

 

So...citing scripture as support for any argument ignores the fact that the text of that scripture is what some man perceives, has witten, spoken or transcribed in some fashion to another man who must then accurately and fully understand.  All that is severly limited by man's brain.  Marvelous as it may seem, it is imperfect and limited.  Sometimes flawed.  I assert that to be true for all men.  I know of no exception[s].

 

"Know thyself " is a quote sometimes attributed to Plato.  "Physician, heal thyself" is a proverb predating and quoted by Jesus.  The individual dictates to himself/herself what reality is and is not.  Not always rationally.  That's not a bad thing necessarily.  I do not consider empathy a bad characteristic for man to have, yet it is not necessarily rational.

 

So...thank you once more Centrist.  Everyone here who read the responses with a clear desire to understand better likely appreciate your effort.  Bravo. 

Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
216
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
209
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

209 Views
Message 32 of 112

@jimc91 wrote:

@Centristsin2010,

 

My view is simple.  It's not my place to judge others in how they live their life or to define what values they should have.  That is between them and God.  

 

As I mentioned before I am not a religious person and am not interested in becoming one. 

 

You have asked a lot of questions and I have answered them, let me pose two to you.

 

Have you come to a place in your spiritual life where you know for certain that if you were to die today, you would go to heaven?

 

We are all going to die one day, If you were to die today and stood before God and he asked you, why should I let you into my heaven, what would you say?

 

 

 


And it is the responsibility of every person who associates with Christians to watch what they do, not listen to what they say.  We have hundreds of young boys traumatized by the abuse of priests. We have men like Trump who quote the bible to cheat, steal, and be unfaithful to their wives.  We have mega church pastors going to jail because of the frauds they perpetrated on their parishioners. We have Christians who refuse to do their duties or resign based on their personal interpretation of the bible. 

 

A word of warning. If you ever see someone with a bible in their possession, plan on hearing whatever lies it will take to get their way.  Just past experience. 

Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
209
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
205
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

205 Views
Message 33 of 112

@Centristsin2010,

 

My view is simple.  It's not my place to judge others in how they live their life or to define what values they should have.  That is between them and God.  

 

As I mentioned before I am not a religious person and am not interested in becoming one. 

 

You have asked a lot of questions and I have answered them, let me pose two to you.

 

Have you come to a place in your spiritual life where you know for certain that if you were to die today, you would go to heaven?

 

We are all going to die one day, If you were to die today and stood before God and he asked you, why should I let you into my heaven, what would you say?

 

 

 

VIMTSTL
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
205
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
4
Kudos
224
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

224 Views
Message 34 of 112

WWJD

Report Inappropriate Content
4
Kudos
224
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
221
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

221 Views
Message 35 of 112

@rker321 wrote:

@williamb39198 wrote:

Religion is a really interesting area. 

So much energy is expended on debating particular branches of religious belief. But at the end of the day God or whatever supreme being that we converse with, will know what we feel in our hearts, good or bad. And can we say that we believe, we care, and we will respect others beliefs...if we are trying to do the rights things in our lives, God will know!

 

It’s actually pretty simple


I am a Catholic, and I have full respect for all Protestant religions, for the Jewish Religion for the Muslim  religion and for any Religion. 
But I will not respect anyone that does not understand what is moral and what is not. what is depraved and what is not. and what is reprehensible and what is not. and then try to pass themselves as belonging  and being Christians. I have not knowledge of any Christian religion that approves depraved, immoral  actions  if you do of any Please advise and let me know.


Not any REAL Christian religions that I'm aware of; but it sure seems situational. Some Christians support abortion, while others will post racist photo's and support a racist and bigoted leader.  It takes all kinds.... 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
221
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
232
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

232 Views
Message 36 of 112

@williamb39198 wrote:

Religion is a really interesting area. 

So much energy is expended on debating particular branches of religious belief. But at the end of the day God or whatever supreme being that we converse with, will know what we feel in our hearts, good or bad. And can we say that we believe, we care, and we will respect others beliefs...if we are trying to do the rights things in our lives, God will know!

 

It’s actually pretty simple


I am a Catholic, and I have full respect for all Protestant religions, for the Jewish Religion for the Muslim  religion and for any Religion. 
But I will not respect anyone that does not understand what is moral and what is not. what is depraved and what is not. and what is reprehensible and what is not. and then try to pass themselves as belonging  and being Christians. I have not knowledge of any Christian religion that approves depraved, immoral  actions  if you do of any Please advise and let me know.

Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
232
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
5
Kudos
284
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

284 Views
Message 37 of 112

Religion is a really interesting area. 

So much energy is expended on debating particular branches of religious belief. But at the end of the day God or whatever supreme being that we converse with, will know what we feel in our hearts, good or bad. And can we say that we believe, we care, and we will respect others beliefs...if we are trying to do the rights things in our lives, God will know!

 

It’s actually pretty simple

Report Inappropriate Content
5
Kudos
284
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
297
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

297 Views
Message 38 of 112

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@Epster wrote:

 

"Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces." ... Smiley Happy 


So then you think that the poster is "swine"?    ........ Smiley Happy


Chasky, she was quoting a biblical passage.  Perhaps you need to put aside partisan enmity and look up the passage in the proper context.  She's not calling the poster any names.


Tx, she was throwing that biblical passage out there to justify another poster not answering the question asked by the poster of this topic ...... as if offering an answer was offering it to swine (the poster that asked the question posed in the topic). 

 

There was no animosity in my posting so perhaps you are the one who should "put aside partisan enmity"


"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
297
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
4
Kudos
288
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

288 Views
Message 39 of 112

@ManicProgressive wrote:


I profess to be a Christian and the information in the video is the way that I think we should look at treating immigrants and refugees. Just sayin' ..........


"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
4
Kudos
288
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
264
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

264 Views
Message 40 of 112

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@Epster wrote:

 

"Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces." ... Smiley Happy 


So then you think that the poster is "swine"?    ........ Smiley Happy


Chasky, she was quoting a biblical passage.  Perhaps you need to put aside partisan enmity and look up the passage in the proper context.  She's not calling the poster any names.

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
264
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report


city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors