AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Reply
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
148
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

148 Views
Message 21 of 112

@rker321 wrote:


 

Your posts have had a touch of sarcasm lately...is there a reason?


I guess because after actually knowing you in these boards for so many years, all of a sudden I really don't know you. and the only thing that I can think is that something has happened  to see that change.


Yes, something did happen.  I took a close look at those on the left and found them wanting. And looking at those who are conservatives I found them closer to my core values. 

 

But isn't this supposed to be about what does it mean to be a Christian?

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
148
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
4
Kudos
149
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

149 Views
Message 22 of 112

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

 

Your posts have had a touch of sarcasm lately...is there a reason?


I guess because after actually knowing you in these boards for so many years, all of a sudden I really don't know you. and the only thing that I can think is that something has happened  to see that change.

Report Inappropriate Content
4
Kudos
149
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
145
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

145 Views
Message 23 of 112

@Centristsin2010, so I assume our conversation is over?

 

 

VIMTSTL
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
145
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
148
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

148 Views
Message 24 of 112

So, I just finished reading all of the posts in this thread. Many interesting perspectives. And I did not find attacks on others...but I did find beliefs being questioned, and how beliefs might parallel thoughts and actions. Not only for Christians, but for all religions, the big picture and all people. At the end of the day,

religion is very personal and each of us has to personally form our own beliefs, and perhaps which religious branch we might align with. 

And to add, if your core foundation is 

strong, your beliefs have strength, then they will stand up to being questioned. This may also lead to having tolerance of others beliefs, and following many good teachings which we have been provided. 

 

Truth and good actions will prevail

Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
148
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
153
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

153 Views
Message 25 of 112

@williamb39198 wrote:

 

Who is attacking other’s religious beliefs here? Seems to be a lot of discussion, but attacks?


No kidding?  Have you any thoughts of like it is to be a Christian?  If one is not a Christian, then it's impossible to describe what it means. 

 

I remember this was popular when I was growing up, but it gives an indication of what it means being a Christian...

 

"My God is Real"

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
153
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
151
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

151 Views
Message 26 of 112

@rker321 wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:



I  applaud your stance. especially about stong enough to stand about adversity. for a moment there, I thought that you had forgotten that adversity touches us all not just you.


And what makes you believe that sarcastic thought?  Just because a person is firm in their beliefs doesn't mean they are so hardhearted.  Yes, it hasn't all been peaches and cream, but I have posted before that I have actually taken the challenging road rather that sitting in an office is a nice comfortable air conditioned room.

 

Yes adversity touches everyone, but what is important how one faces adversity.  Having faith in God does help one to face it.

 

Your posts have had a touch of sarcasm lately...is there a reason?

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
151
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
150
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

150 Views
Message 27 of 112

@umbarch64

@Centristsin2010

Great commentaries on our religious

beliefs and personal experiences. It is a subject which has been debated in the past, debated in the present, and will be debated in the future. And good for all to comment on their personal perspectives. 

@TxGrandpa2

Who is attacking other’s religious beliefs here? Seems to be a lot of discussion, but attacks?

Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
150
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
148
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

148 Views
Message 28 of 112

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

 

I for one am more concerned about my relationship of being a Christian rather than what someone on an anonymous discussion board want to tell me what it is.  I believe that being a Christian doesn't have to be a passive person, but strong enough to stand up to adversaries. 


I  applaud your stance. especially about stong enough to stand about adversity. for a moment there, I thought that you had forgotten that adversity touches us all not just you.

Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
148
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
152
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

152 Views
Message 29 of 112

@umbarch64 wrote:

So...citing scripture as support for any argument ignores the fact that the text of that scripture is what some man perceives, has witten, spoken or transcribed in some fashion to another man who must then accurately and fully understand.  All that is severly limited by man's brain.  Marvelous as it may seem, it is imperfect and limited.  Sometimes flawed.  I assert that to be true for all men.  I know of no exception[s].

 



Religion is based on faith, not on discussions with those who over a period has indicated that they hold religious faith in contempt as has been voiced here in the entire time I've been on this site. The majority of those contributing has been those who has made fun of anyone professing religious belief. 

 

That religious faith in God has held up in the Christian world for over 2000 years, and Christians have been convinced so strongly that they have been willing to undergo being beheaded, burned at the stake and fed to hungry lions.  So what compelled these early Christians to sacrifice their very lives for their faith?  As in Hebrews eleventh chapter explains it "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

 

There is that general attempt to deny the Bible that the general attack is that it was written by men, therefore it can't be accurate.  Yet they can't conclusively prove there are inaccuracies.  Scholars have looked at the scriptures written in the original Greek, as manuscripts from the Middle Ages and today and have come up with negative inaccuracies in the New Testament scriptures.  Any inaccuracies is based on selectively parsing out of context.

 

The question is why so many basically attack others' belief in religion, in God, basically in our faith as a whole.  Are they so threatened with being a Christian that they can't stand a person being one?

 

I for one am more concerned about my relationship of being a Christian rather than what someone on an anonymous discussion board want to tell me what it is.  I believe that being a Christian doesn't have to be a passive person, but strong enough to stand up to adversaries. 

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
152
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
162
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

162 Views
Message 30 of 112

@Richva wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

@Centristsin2010,

 

My view is simple.  It's not my place to judge others in how they live their life or to define what values they should have.  That is between them and God.  

 

As I mentioned before I am not a religious person and am not interested in becoming one. 

 

You have asked a lot of questions and I have answered them, let me pose two to you.

 

Have you come to a place in your spiritual life where you know for certain that if you were to die today, you would go to heaven?

 

We are all going to die one day, If you were to die today and stood before God and he asked you, why should I let you into my heaven, what would you say?

 

 

 


And it is the responsibility of every person who associates with Christians to watch what they do, not listen to what they say.  We have hundreds of young boys traumatized by the abuse of priests. We have men like Trump who quote the bible to cheat, steal, and be unfaithful to their wives.  We have mega church pastors going to jail because of the frauds they perpetrated on their parishioners. We have Christians who refuse to do their duties or resign based on their personal interpretation of the bible. 

 

A word of warning. If you ever see someone with a bible in their possession, plan on hearing whatever lies it will take to get their way.  Just past experience. 


Cent and I were having an exchange of thoughts and opinions that is why I posted to him, but since you are oosting to me, lets have a conversation.

 

We are all going to die one day, I am sure you and I can agree on that.  I believe the creator has prepared a place for me when I leave this earth.  

 

I am curious what your thoughts are as to what happens after you die?

 

Awaiting civil discussion...

 

 

VIMTSTL
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
162
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.


multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors