From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN, REALLY?

Message 11 of 112

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

I'm acquainted with four ordained, called, and serving Christian clergy - all with earned degrees in Divinity - clergy of mainstream protestant denominations in our region who have said from the pulpit that their belief causes them to utterly repudiate trump.  One of them - with an earned  Divinity Degree from a major theological seminary - who is ordained, called and serving clergy - is a woman in a same sex marriage.

They are no less earnest in their faith and belief than TxGrandpa2 is in his faith and belief - just like conservatives and liberals are earnest in their beliefs, and not willing to accept things they believe are "wrong"...

Of course to be expected. Apparently then they mix politics with religion, or do they teach strictly (some in the mental health community are of the opinion that extremely strict religious observance is not a psychologically healthy kind of thing) what is written in the New Testament?  I don't recall Trump being mentioned in the scriptures.  And I recall that you have rediculed(sic) religion over the years.  Your continued past posts also makes me question this post.  Plus, anytime something is mentioned, you have prominent acquaintances or family members making one wonder.

Yes indeed - living in the same community for forty years, being a member of search and rescue(originally part of sheriff's dept), knowing all the police officers for about 20 of the forty years in this small community, being on victim compensation boards, zoning boards, domestic abuse boards, liquor licensing boards, being a sports official (along with many judges and officers), being a kid sport coach (also with law enforcement) (how many judge's and others kids do you think played with the kid's program of "for-fun-ski-racing" at the local ski area?)

Singing in numerous choirs(yep - with all kinds of clergy, judges and their wives), acting in community theatre (once had to go to a judge to get official permission to have a very obviously illegal spring-loaded knife that the script called for the character (a psychopathic murderer) to wave around -  of course I gave comp tickets to all the judges and their families).   Once got the role of The King in "The King and I" in a local production(yes I shaved my head).

After over forty years as a community member, one just can't help becoming acquainted with bunches of people...

Family?  With seven brothers and sisters and most of their kids living within about 150 miles, and raising twelve kids - I just couldn't avoid getting to know lots of people,and hearing interesting things from them.

Loads of time over 40 years to do all those things and still have loads of time left over to live a rich and rewarding life...

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 112

Making one wonder? Wonder what?

That people have faith. That people recognize false prophets. That people have good will towards others. If @alferdpacker says that he knows and has conversations with those of faith, why can’t we just say that he has communications with those of faith. Why try to make it something which it isn’t?

Why wonder, maybe it is what it is. 

some try to do the right thing

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 112

@alferdpacker wrote:

I'm acquainted with four ordained, called, and serving Christian clergy - all with earned degrees in Divinity - clergy of mainstream protestant denominations in our region who have said from the pulpit that their belief causes them to utterly repudiate trump.  One of them - with an earned  Divinity Degree from a major theological seminary - who is ordained, called and serving clergy - is a woman in a same sex marriage.

They are no less earnest in their faith and belief than TxGrandpa2 is in his faith and belief - just like conservatives and liberals are earnest in their beliefs, and not willing to accept things they believe are "wrong"...

Of course to be expected. Apparently then they mix politics with religion, or do they teach strictly what is written in the New Testament?  I don't recall Trump being mentioned in the scriptures.  And I recall that you have rediculed religion over the years.  Your continued past posts also makes me question this post.  Plus, anytime something is mentioned, you have prominent acquaintances or family members making one wonder.

Have a good evening Alferd.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 112

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

Your posts have had a touch of sarcasm lately...is there a reason?

I guess because after actually knowing you in these boards for so many years, all of a sudden I really don't know you. and the only thing that I can think is that something has happened  to see that change.

Yes, something did happen.  I took a close look at those on the left and found them wanting. And looking at those who are conservatives I found them closer to my core values. 

But isn't this supposed to be about what does it mean to be a Christian?

Some Christians would agree with that sentiment - some would not.

I'm acquainted with four ordained, called, and serving Christian clergy - all with earned Masters Degrees in Divinity - all clergy of mainstream protestant denominations in our region who have said - although not from the pulpit in a sermon - that their belief causes them to repudiate trump's words and actions. 

None of them urged any members of their congregations to repudiate trump.

All of them are still serving God and their congregations.

One of them - with an earned Divinity Degree from a major theological seminary - who is ordained, called and serving clergy - is a woman in a same sex marriage.

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 112

@MIseker wrote:

Why tx you are batting a thousand today. Those old Democrats preaching from the pulpit is exactly why Trump promised the evangelicos he would get rid of the Johnson rule. Don't you hate it when reality kicks in.

What gets to me are those here who are conducting themselves much like the Pharisees of the New Testament who were attempting to trick Jesus.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 112

@Richva wrote:

I suppose it depends on whether you are the type of Christian who practices what is in the Bible about tolerance and charity or one of the ones we see on here and in public office who are using their Christianity as a cloak to excuse their racism, greed, and personal ambition. 

Are you talking about Christians or those mentioned in Matthew 7:15 about being ferocious wolves in sheep's clothing ?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 112

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

2100 years ago, Caesar was "The State". Today WE ARE. Our Government is US - WE THE PEOPLE. To pretend you can use your vote to persecute those less fortunate and take from the least of these and still be Christian is the mark of the dedicated CINO. Pray for the stranger within your gates on Sunday, order the minions of Government to rip her child from her arms on Monday.

What does this have to do with JimC or of being a Christian?  Did you not read were Jesus said that His Kingdom was not of this world, but there are those here who persist in equating politics with religion.  Some here accuse the Republican element of doing that, but here it is more the Democrats.

And note that Democratic candidates persist of using pulphits for their political campaign venues.  Then they blame Republicans for favoring Christianity.

Why tx you are batting a thousand today. Those old Democrats preaching from the pulpit is exactly why Trump promised the evangelicos he would get rid of the Johnson rule. Don't you hate it when reality kicks in.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 112

@jimc91 wrote:

@Centristsin2010, so I assume our conversation is over?

Hang in there, my friend.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 112

@MaVolta wrote:

@jimc91 - What you describe reminds me a lot of the way my daddy felt about religion.

He was not a religious man though he was baptized and raised in the Baptist church as a kid. As he got older, he saw a lot of hypocrisy with some of the admired members of the church (men who cheated in business, cheated on their wives, drank more than they should, you get the picture). My mother's argument was - at least the hypocrites are in church!

Daddy believed that a person's experience with God was a personal one; it wasn't found in a church building or an institution, it was between him and God. He believed that how a person acted and treated others was the important thing. He was honest in his business, loyal to his family, generous to a fault, and no sacrifice considered to great to go the extra mile to help another person, even a stranger. He lived every bit of the golden rule.

After Daddy passed away, I was on vacation in Ireland. I was hiking on a trail along a ridge alone. I saw a man working his sheep with a border collie on the hillside across the field. It was so beautiful and I wished so much that Daddy could be here to see this. (He loved border collies). For some reason I can't explain, I felt a "presence" with me. I felt that he was there, and he told me that he was in a beautiful place. I talked to him a while, and he said he had to go, that there was work to do. I could tell the "presence" was gone and I was alone. I do believe he is in heaven.

Call me crazy if you will, but I swear it was a true experience. I've heard other people tell similar stories about people who have passed away. Maybe it's a phenomenon or just some overly active wishful thinking, but the feeling was very real to me. 

Yes. That's happened to me too. I believe you.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 112

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

Your posts have had a touch of sarcasm lately...is there a reason?

I guess because after actually knowing you in these boards for so many years, all of a sudden I really don't know you. and the only thing that I can think is that something has happened  to see that change.

Yes, something did happen.  I took a close look at those on the left and found them wanting. And looking at those who are conservatives I found them closer to my core values. 

But isn't this supposed to be about what does it mean to be a Christian?

I suppose it depends on whether you are the type of Christian who practices what is in the Bible about tolerance and charity or one of the ones we see on here and in public office who are using their Christianity as a cloak to excuse their racism, greed, and personal ambition. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors