Honored Social Butterfly

WE NEED TRUMP'S BORDER WALL PLUS OTHER MEASURES TO REDUCE ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION

Congressional Democrats have made it clear that they will oppose President Trump’s commonsense request for $5 billion to expand fencing and begin work on a wall along our southern border. But the fight over the wall is just a small skirmish in a war to decide the future of our country and whether we can control our own borders.

Neither President Trump nor the Democrats created the migrant caravans currently camped to our south. The caravans were organized and launched outside of the U.S. with the intent of demonstrating that large groups of immigrants can breech our borders illegally and with impunity – an outcome that will only encourage more illegal immigration.

Nor did Trump or the Democrats draft the United Nations global compacts on migration and refugees, looking to a day when international “norms” supplant the right of sovereign nations to manage their own borders.

It was not Trump or the Democrats who flooded Europe with over 1 million refugees and dispersed them – without vetting – throughout the continent.

But European officials who opened their borders to the migrants now find themselves beset by an intense political backlash, severe security challenges, and widespread social and economic unrest.

Europe today stands as a case study in the problems caused by uncontrolled migration.

If America fails to maintain firm control of who gets into our country – and who stays – the resulting crisis could make the woes of Europe look petty.

A Gallup World Poll released earlier this month found that 15 percent of the world’s adults said they would move permanently to another country if they could. That’s about 750 million people. Assuming the adults brought their children, the number of migrants would be higher.

The poll “is based on a rolling average of interviews with 453,122 adults in 152 countries and areas between 2016 and 2017,” according to Gallup.

Gallup also states in reporting on the poll: “One in five potential migrants (21%) – or about 158 million adults worldwide – name the U.S. as their desired future residence.” This number would be higher when children are added.

A mass migration of such a large number of people to the U.S. would be profoundly destabilizing – economically, socially and culturally.

How would we provide the food, housing, clothing, jobs, schools, transportation, infrastructure, English language instruction, and everything else needed for so many new immigrants?

And where would we get the money to do all this?

Admitting massive amounts of new immigrants to our country could also be dangerous.

Enemies of the West have already tried to weaponize migrant flows, as has happened with Syrian migrants. If the open-borders crowd gets its way, sooner or later evil-doers will launch a deliberate effort to send refugees to America. That would have far more impact than tweets from Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Polls consistently show most Americans favor legal immigration. But a November Gallup poll also showed Americans see immigration as one of the nation’s “biggest problems.” They want a system that works.

In the end, President Trump will win. Not because he has better politics – but because he has better polices.

For starters, the president wants to beef up border security. Most Americans share that desire. The wall can help.

Importantly, President Trump’s border security strategy goes beyond the wall. He also wants to end “catch and release” and “birthright citizenship” for the children of illegal immigrants.

“Catch and release” results from loopholes in our current system. People arrested upon entering the U.S. illegally routinely apply for amnesty. Those who promise to return for a court hearing are released, but the vast majority never come back. Instead, they simply walk away into a new life as “undocumented immigrants.”

Closing this loophole would be a huge deterrent to illegal immigration.

And here’s another thing our country needs to do: Enforce existing U.S. immigration laws and deport people found to be living here illegally.

Meanwhile, the president can also improve border security by working with our Latin American partners. The administration has already engaged with Mexico’s newly elected president, Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador.

Tuesday’s announcement of a $10.6 billion U.S. aid package for Mexico and Central America reflects the desire to ease immigration pressures to our south. If that money is spent smartly – to improve governance, public safety and create a space for private economic growth – then it could help.

President Trump didn’t start Washington’s border wars. But if he sticks with his entire border control strategy, he should succeed in winning the immediate political debate and fixing our broken immigration system for the long haul.

https://www.heritage.org/homeland-security/commentary/we-need-trumps-border-wall-plus-other-measures...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We could learn much by studying what is going on in Europe right now.  

If we could get democrats and republicans to actually have a conversation with each other.  It appears the Russians have been pretty successful at creating dissension between them, IMO of course...

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

The right loves to champion imaginary issues because they are so easy to solve. Put $5 billion in spending for a wall and, presto, illegal immigration is solved. We have all read the facts on illegal immigration. Most illegal immigrants arrive by air. Immigrants are less likely to commit a crime than native born. the caravans present themselves to CBP at the border,  Illegal immigration has been dropping for 10 years. 

There is one fact about illegal immigration.  It is an imaginary problem and perfect for Republicans to solve. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

The right loves to champion imaginary issues because they are so easy to solve. Put $5 billion in spending for a wall and, presto, illegal immigration is solved. We have all read the facts on illegal immigration. Most illegal immigrants arrive by air. Immigrants are less likely to commit a crime than native born. the caravans present themselves to CBP at the border,  Illegal immigration has been dropping for 10 years. 

There is one fact about illegal immigration.  It is an imaginary problem and perfect for Republicans to solve. 

The Cons here always criticized the left, saying that "throwing money at it" won't solve a problem.  But now they want to throw money at a useless wall. Create a problem, throw money at it.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

The Cons here always criticized the left, saying that "throwing money at it" won't solve a problem.  But now they want to throw money at a useless wall. Create a problem, throw money at it.

ChasKy ol' sport, you may have hit on THE answer to why Regressives do what they do. It's obvious to all they love to create problems (needless wars mostly) and then throw oceans of money at it.

What hasn't been noted is WHERE DOES THAT MONEY GO?

Answer - into the pockets of the Uberrich Oligarchs who get the "no competition" contracts like Haliburton's directors.

Since Reagan, those controlling the distribution of profits within a Corporation have not shared the profits with the workers who created it, and they sure aren't going to change their behavior until the Reagan scam is repealed and they have to return to paying their fair share of the support of the Nation.

Consider the 2,000,000 contract workers who will never get back the lost pay during the Trump shutdown. THEY lost their homes, cars, etc by repossession and saw their savings disappear. BUT their BOSS lost nothing. True, they won't get paid, but THEY HAD NO EXPENSE DURING THE SHUTDOWN. All they did was to delay their unearned PROFITS until the Government opened back up and resumed paying them twice what they lay out to perform the contract.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66 wrote:

ChasKy ol' sport, you may have hit on THE answer to why Regressives do what they do. It's obvious to all they love to create problems (needless wars mostly) and then throw oceans of money at it.

And yet when President Trump said he was going to bring the troops home you had a hissy fit.

What hasn't been noted is WHERE DOES THAT MONEY GO?

Answer - into the pockets of the Uberrich Oligarchs who get the "no competition" contracts like Haliburton's directors.

No since we are talking about border security, it goes into the pockets of productive companies providing the needed services and their employees.

Since Reagan, those controlling the distribution of profits within a Corporation have not shared the profits with the workers who created it, and they sure aren't going to change their behavior until the Reagan scam is repealed and they have to return to paying their fair share of the support of the Nation.

How do you see the Reagan tax cuts related to border security? Or is that just one more rant?

Consider the 2,000,000 contract workers who will never get back the lost pay during the Trump shutdown. THEY lost their homes, cars, etc by repossession and saw their savings disappear. BUT their BOSS lost nothing. True, they won't get paid, but THEY HAD NO EXPENSE DURING THE SHUTDOWN. All they did was to delay their unearned PROFITS until the Government opened back up and resumed paying them twice what they lay out to perform the contract.

Can you list those 2 million people who lost their homes and cars?? I have not heard of that. Possibly that's just another of "those" facts.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

I have heard no one say anything like, " presto, illegal immigration is solved" - have you?

It is a major issue that requires a lot more serious attention than it is getting. Once the wall issue is settled, I hope they sit down and do some serious talking on the basics like our concept of immigration and the laws and rules (and, of course, enforcement actions) needed to make it happen.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

I have heard no one say anything like, " presto, illegal immigration is solved" - have you?

It is a major issue that requires a lot more serious attention than it is getting. Once the wall issue is settled, I hope they sit down and do some serious talking on the basics like our concept of immigration and the laws and rules (and, of course, enforcement actions) needed to make it happen.

Democrats are well aware of the need for better border controls.  I think the wall issue is pretty much settled unless Trump is planning an emergency declaration or another shutdown.  I would welcome either from him. 

The Democrats put quite a bit of money into border security in the last proposal. The one that had bi partisan support and then Trump backed out? You know.  They just aren't into 16th century technology in places we don't need it. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Democrats are well aware of the need for better border controls.  I think the wall issue is pretty much settled unless Trump is planning an emergency declaration or another shutdown.  I would welcome either from him. 

The Democrats put quite a bit of money into border security in the last proposal. The one that had bi partisan support and then Trump backed out? You know.  They just aren't into 16th century technology in places we don't need it. 

The wall issue is not settled. But once it is, I hope they can go one to serious redefinition of our immigration policy - with more seriousness than seeing spiked things as 16th century technology but fences as up to date.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The Vainglorious Wall of Trump is a waste of time, will do nothing to improve border security and diverts countless billions from EFFECTIVE means of border control.

That said, the Trumpcult was told he'd give them a wall Mexico, will pay for it, and then they'll get the pay raises they think Mexicans and Affirmative Action have kept them from getting for the last 20 years.

lil donny needs to keep them thinking that so they'll grab their guns and rush into the streets to rescue him when the FBI slaps on the cuffs and drags him out of his Offal Office to stand trial for Treason.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66 wrote:

The Vainglorious Wall of Trump is a waste of time, will do nothing to improve border security and diverts countless billions from EFFECTIVE means of border control.

That said, the Trumpcult was told he'd give them a wall Mexico, will pay for it, and then they'll get the pay raises they think Mexicans and Affirmative Action have kept them from getting for the last 20 years.

lil donny needs to keep them thinking that so they'll grab their guns and rush into the streets to rescue him when the FBI slaps on the cuffs and drags him out of his Offal Office to stand trial for Treason.

Does all that gibberish mean that you think (like the Dems) that fences are effective but spiked things are not?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Fiber-Optics make much more sense than a stupid medieval wall. Much more effective and much, much cheaper.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fiber-optic-sensing-technology-vs-border-wall-2019-2

In fact, a Texas Republican in Congress endorses it:

https://www.businessinsider.com/will-hurd-border-security-idea-fiber-optic-cable-instead-of-wall-201...

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Fiber-Optics make much more sense than a stupid medieval wall. Much more effective and much, much cheaper.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fiber-optic-sensing-technology-vs-border-wall-2019-2

In fact, a Texas Republican in Congress endorses it:

https://www.businessinsider.com/will-hurd-border-security-idea-fiber-optic-cable-instead-of-wall-201...

There are many elements in border security - high tech, low tech, legal just to name three. It is the package that does the job.

As to medieval - his spiked thing is no older than the fencing previously approved by the Dems. And I believe both too have a place in the total package.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Confirmed today:   GOP still buy everything relative to fear-mongering, regardless of truthfulness of claim. 

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

@afisher wrote:

Confirmed today:   GOP still buy everything relative to fear-mongering, regardless of truthfulness of claim. 

What is the fear-mongering you are, oh my, talking about?

I ask because I am a registered Republican and I see the sun shining every day and am not in fear or mongered.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

In a related story, I am going to build an electric fence to keep squirrels out of my corn patch next summer because, last summer, they ate 95% of my corn.  The materials are surprisingly cheap:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fi-Shock-EAC10A-FS-Electric-Fence-Charger-AC-Powered-10-Acre-Small-Animal/1...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fi-Shock-Electric-Fence-Wire-250-Aluminum/232855897353?hash=item36374b0509:...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fi-Shock-25-Pack-Extendable-High-tensile-Wood-Post-Electric-Fence-Insulator...

BTW, tax free; screw Amazon.  I also will use wooden posts and chicken wire that I already have on hand.

I know what you are going to say, "Why don't you just shoot them?"  I shot one once and it bothered my conscience more than I anticipated.

You are getting sleepy.
Honored Social Butterfly

aruzinsky:  In a related story, I am going to build an electric fence to keep squirrels out of my corn patch next summer because, last summer, they ate 95% of my corn.  The materials are surprisingly cheap:

Don't be surprised if it doesn't work. I have a 4' board fence and this summer I adopted a dog that can almost jump it.  Not trusting that he'd never make it over, I bought a solar charger and ran a wire along the top board. The squirrels seem to sense the danger and they're able to come and go as always while avoiding the live wire. That surprised me, but it took them no time to get the hang of it.

ps.....it's also not as cheap as you think considering the investment in grounding rods, insulated wire, clamps, wire (the hot wire) insulators, etc. The same applies whether you go with solar or AC. I used solar to avoid the hassle of having to plug it in.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/american-farmworks-2-mile-solar-fence-low-impedance-charge...

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

@Panjandrum wrote:

aruzinsky:  In a related story, I am going to build an electric fence to keep squirrels out of my corn patch next summer because, last summer, they ate 95% of my corn.  The materials are surprisingly cheap:

Don't be surprised if it doesn't work. I have a 4' board fence and this summer I adopted a dog that can almost jump it.  Not trusting that he'd never make it over, I bought a solar charger and ran a wire along the top board. The squirrels seem to sense the danger and they're able to come and go as always while avoiding the live wire. That surprised me, but it took them no time to get the hang of it.

ps.....it's also not as cheap as you think considering the investment in grounding rods, insulated wire, clamps, wire (the hot wire) insulators, etc. The same applies whether you go with solar or AC. I used solar to avoid the hassle of having to plug it in.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/american-farmworks-2-mile-solar-fence-low-impedance-charge...

Am I correct in assuming that you are a woman?  Your squirrels aren't grounded when they touch the wire.  Neither will your dog be grounded, if he jumps.

Rebar, which I already have on hand, and costs about $1, can be used as grounding rods.  I already listed the costs of the rest of the materials which you ignored. 

"I used solar to avoid the hassle of having to plug it in.

Bwah ha, ha. That's hilarious considering the effort many people put into outdoor Xmas decorations. 

Not solar powered:

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Controlled, they get confused by the use of FACTS and LOGIC. For example, almost half of all illegal immigrants currently in the U.S. came here LEGALLY and their VISAS expired. What will a wall do for them?

Regular Social Butterfly

Critical Thinking....I agree and it is soooo sad that we, this country of great intentions, has turned out like this....RIP...my dear loved one lost to this country of Freedom and Rights!!!

I will bow out....and let go and let God, like I've had to do far too many times!  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Whenever I need a big laugh I come here to read the mythical fantasies uploaded by Trump Cult members who worship their Supreme Leader in the White House. That means he's never wrong and they never disagree with him. 

I got a big laugh out of this one. 

"he keeps his promises and the country benefits from  his positive agenda..."

• Trump reguarly attacks NATO and our ALLIES
  • Trump ignores our Intelligence Agencies
  • Trump attacks the FBI and Justice Department
  • Trump said he LOVES Kim Jong Un
  • Trump worships Vladimir Putin
  • Trump sourrounded himself with convicted FELONS (great campaign promise)
  • Trump is a pathological LIAR
  • etc.
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

https://www.nps.gov/stli/learn/historyculture/colosus.htm

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free....

Send these , the homeless..."  Emma Lazarus....Nov. 2, 1883... The Statue of Liberty!!!

Now, what are they going to remove this American symbol????

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Controlled wrote-"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free....

Send these , the homeless..."  Emma Lazarus....Nov. 2, 1883... The Statue of Liberty!!!

Now, what are they going to remove this American symbol???-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------So now the leftist are concerned about statues but don`t give a hoot about tearing  down Confederate statues ,who about 60 million  Americans had relatives who  fought for the south. American Symbols get lost on that fact.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

easyed598:  So now the leftist are concerned about statues but don`t give a hoot about tearing  down Confederate statues ,who about 60 million  Americans had relatives who  fought for the south. American Symbols get lost on that fact.

Oh my. That is a death defying leap of logic to try equate the Statue of Liberty with Confederate statues (of traitors to America). That comparison is absurd.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Panjandrum wrote:

easyed598:  So now the leftist are concerned about statues but don`t give a hoot about tearing  down Confederate statues ,who about 60 million  Americans had relatives who  fought for the south. American Symbols get lost on that fact.

Oh my. That is a death defying leap of logic to try equate the Statue of Liberty with Confederate statues (of traitors to America). That comparison is absurd.

Almost all the statues of Traitors in the South were erected after 1900 as part of the push for more Jim Crow to restore slavery in fact if not in name.

The unfortunate southerners who bled and died for slavery were conned into defending the property and privilege of the Cotton Barons, who fought as Generals if they fought at all.

That does not make the soldiers less brave but defending the deception that led them to the slaughter demeans them by pretending they too supported SLAVERY, and not the fiction fed them about State Rights.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

ROTFL....LMAO....WTF(way to funny).....
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@easyed598 wrote:

Controlled wrote-"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free....

Now, what are they going to remove this American symbol???-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------So now the leftist are concerned about statues but don`t give a hoot about tearing  down Confederate statues ,who about 60 million  Americans had relatives who  fought for the south. American Symbols get lost on that fact.

@easyed598 wrote:

The FACT is brave men bled and died because they were lied to by the Cotton Barons who used the blood of the lower classes to protect their property and privilage. The fact they died for SLAVERY does not detract from their bravery, but for their decendents to glorify the ones who led them to the slaughter demeans, not respects, their SACRIFICE.

neoRepublicans want more glorification of the Confederacy because they want people to see slavery as a good thing - its what the GOPerLords are planing for the bottom 99%.

Regular Social Butterfly

Dear Olderscout,

Maybe they could get their hands on the statue of Saddam and bring it over and erect that too???

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Butterfly565 wrote:

Dear Olderscout,

Maybe they could get their hands on the statue of Saddam and bring it over and erect that too???

A good resting place for the statue of Saddam would be the great state of California.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Butterfly565 wrote:

Dear Olderscout,

A good resting place for the statue of Saddam would be the great state of California.

No a better place would be along the border between FL, and GA. Saddam would be with his people.

Regular Social Butterfly

Yep, they like to solve the issue by running people down with their cars if they dare to challenge them, no?
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png