Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

WE NEED MORE OPTIONS

We need an option on our ballot that says "NONE OF THE ABOVE"

and if this choice gets more than 50% of the vote - we have to start over from scratch.

How else should a people's choice work - We need more than just a hold your nose and pick one process.

Honored Social Butterfly

I think the alternative voting option not to have a little more truth in advertising. “I came all the way down here just to say I’m not voting for anyone“

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva 

 

Not casting a vote for every office is in fact NOT voting - thus we need that option of casting a vote for any office as "NONE OF THE ABOVE".

 

Even if this choice didn't win an overwhelming majority, the (whatever) number it does reap for any office would definitely make the winner, whatever party/person that might, look at the strength of these numbers.

 

It would also aid both parties in knowing which particular party extreme the electorate seems to be leaning.

 

This would make the winning party be more responsive to the electorate because they would know more about the voting who.

0 Kudos
327 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Anything  is good as long as we don't have elections?

goodlol.jpg

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

@Roxanna35 

 

???????????

 

I think an option on the ballot of "NONE OF THE ABOVE" might reveal exactly how many, maybe most, people in this country feel.  Should they have the right to vote their conscious too - Holding ones nose and marking a ballot choice isn't a real choice.

 

 

0 Kudos
440 Views
16
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1   I do believe that perhaps that may your opinion. but I also feel that many in this country are fine with either writing in a name of simply leaving it blank. 

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

This sounds more like a frame of mind that knows they are about to lose...I’m taking my bat and going home, I don’t want to play. 
And hate on both sides, please. Once again this tries to say that the truth and facts are hateful, for the trump side only. 
In one sense we do need more...more mail in voting, our Post Office working,

more polling sites, and more support for voters rights. 

The truth is not hateful, it’s the truth

Honored Social Butterfly

 


@williamb39198 wrote:

This sounds more like a frame of mind that knows they are about to lose...I’m taking my bat and going home, I don’t want to play. 
And hate on both sides, please. Once again this tries to say that the truth and facts are hateful, for the trump side only. 
In one sense we do need more...more mail in voting, our Post Office working,

more polling sites, and more support for voters rights. 

The truth is not hateful, it’s the truth


I have always voted Libertarian when that choice is available.  But it really isn't much of a choice cause these candidates are not strong.  There have been few 3rd party candidate with any strength in history.

 

I want to vote but I don't want to have to hold my nose and vote.

I want to vote for the candidate that I like - their platform, etc.

I do not think that voting against something or someone with a vote for something or someone else just because that is the only choice is a viable option.

 

I believe there are many people that are like me - A "NONE OF THE ABOVE" choice is a choice that would make both parties take notice if it brought in a pretty big number cause it would mean that they both LOST and need to go back to the drawing board.

 

The " NONE OF THE ABOVE"  choice should be on every general election ballot and for every office, not just the higher ranking ones - down ballot too.

0 Kudos
330 Views
13
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 

We need the Post Office!!!

Whether you want to vote, not vote, write in, scribble all over your ballot, vote for your favorite party or candidate, or not, Go for it. And probably numerical counts would confirm not voting for certain candidates. It is your option to either vote for, or not vote for someone. 
Or get the elections division to put in none of the above. 

 

What is most important...
We need the Post Office! It is mandatory, not an option. Voting is a right that we need to protect, not let trump do away with it, or try to cheat to win. 

the truth is not hateful, it’s just the truth

Honored Social Butterfly

@williamb39198 

I didn't say anything about the post office in this thread - 

I think you maybe confusing topics.

0 Kudos
1,066 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

We do NOT need more options, we need LESS obstruction - get rid of Gerrymanders, voter suppression measures like State issued photo ID's, automatic purges of voter rolls and add in ballot collection boxes - like PO boxes but only for ballots, collected daily, time stamped and counted with the results held until after polls close. Also an end to the Republican War on USPS and restoration of the Fairness Doctrine to end the blatant lying.

 

Additional parties only make it easier for a minority to elect the President as they've never pulled voters equally from both sides. Perot's Reform Party was the exception, so the GOPerLords got Buchanan to kill it by moving it from the center to the extreme right where it could not compete with the GOP.

 

We don't need more parties, we need more voters. IMHO we should try the Australian method - you do not HAVE to vote, but if you don't you pay a $20 fine. then after the election, all those double-sawbucks are collected and they become the prize in a National Lottery for ALL THOSE WHO DID VOTE. With 153,000,000 REGISTERED voters, 34% not voting, the prize would be a shade over ONE BILLION DOLLARS!, which would quickly decline as people got tired of shelling out $20 for somebody else's lottery ticket.

Conversationalist


@Olderscout66 wrote:

We do NOT need more options, we need LESS obstruction - get rid of Gerrymanders, voter suppression measures like State issued photo ID's, automatic purges of voter rolls and add in ballot collection boxes - like PO boxes but only for ballots, collected daily, time stamped and counted with the results held until after polls close.

 

I can see your ballot box idea working - especially not reporting numbers until all polls close, but these so called "voter suppression" measures are in place to ensure the people voting are actually qualified and vetted. Time and time again we see ballots mailed to either deceased voters or old addresses of those who have moved.       

 

Also an end to the Republican War on USPS and restoration of the Fairness Doctrine to end the blatant lying.

 

Additional parties only make it easier for a minority to elect the President as they've never pulled voters equally from both sides. Perot's Reform Party was the exception, so the GOPerLords got Buchanan to kill it by moving it from the center to the extreme right where it could not compete with the GOP.

 

We don't need more parties, we need more voters. IMHO we should try the Australian method - you do not HAVE to vote, but if you don't you pay a $20 fine. then after the election, all those double-sawbucks are collected and they become the prize in a National Lottery for ALL THOSE WHO DID VOTE. With 153,000,000 REGISTERED voters, 34% not voting, the prize would be a shade over ONE BILLION DOLLARS!, which would quickly decline as people got tired of shelling out $20 for somebody else's lottery ticket.


 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66 

 

Not talking about actual voting, not talking about parties, not talking about the various rules that states may have to cast a ballot.

 

I am talking about the actual ballot -

The only option that seems not covered is if as person feels that nobody on the ballot is their choice - therefore we need that choice - a "NONE OF THE ABOVE" option.

 

Are you frightened that this choice, the "NONE OF THE ABOVE" option.  might just win overwhelmingly? 

I think in this day and age of HATE, the "NONE OF THE ABOVE" option on the ballot might make both parties stand up and take notice just because of the number of people that might vote this way - majority or not.

0 Kudos
502 Views
6
Report
Esteemed Social Butterfly


@GailL1 wrote:

@Olderscout66 

 

Not talking about actual voting, not talking about parties, not talking about the various rules that states may have to cast a ballot.

 

I am talking about the actual ballot -

The only option that seems not covered is if as person feels that nobody on the ballot is their choice - therefore we need that choice - a "NONE OF THE ABOVE" option.

 

Are you frightened that this choice, the "NONE OF THE ABOVE" option.  might just win overwhelmingly? 

I think in this day and age of HATE, the "NONE OF THE ABOVE" option on the ballot might make both parties stand up and take notice just because of the number of people that might vote this way - majority or not.


Ok, Gail. So the majority votes none of the above. Office after office, the results are the same. Eventually, the terms of these offices will expire, and with no one there to pass the baton to, then what? Forcing the current office holders to remain would be counter to what you're trying to accomplish, wouldn't it?

 

Or is anarchy the ultimate goal? YOYO - You're On Your Own - Every man for themself. That's America??

 

 

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Honored Social Butterfly

@BigLib 

 

OH NO - they ( the reigning incumbents)  are gone - out there - the people have spoken by voting NONE OF THE ABOVE if this vote gets the over 50%.  Government can run itself for a while - the length to regroup for another election with hopefully running people that the voter will vote for -can be set and another election scheduled.

 

But let's just say the NONE OF THE ABOVE crowd doesn't carry the election but makes a strong showing - don't you think the whoever winners and losers will have to sit up and take some notice.

I do. 

 

Right now, we are having to pick ONE - but the motivation for the pick is the important thing - perhaps the majority motivation now is to vote against another - to me, that is a poor reason to vote for one over the other.  Didn't we already do that in 2016?

 

BTW, Thank You for trying to add to the subject discussion and keeping it going.  Your post was refreshing just because it allows for on-subject discussion. 

 

0 Kudos
1,071 Views
4
Report
Esteemed Social Butterfly


@GailL1 wrote:

Government can run itself for a while

 


Eeesh! Ok, Gail, that one made me throw up in my mouth a little. Nothing good can ever come from government running itself, because there will always be someone waiting to seize power, and boom, elections are delayed indefinitely, and they anoint and appoint them self.

 

I understand your frustration. I also don't think the warehouse club model for elections is feasible either. Warehouse clubs only offer 1 or 2 product selections, because they've found if more options are offered, people tend to not buy anything at all. That's the problem with our elected representatives, too. Many people tend to think their civic duty is voting twice a year, and don't bother to stay engaged the rest of the time.

 

Change that mindset, and there's your election reform.

 

 

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Honored Social Butterfly

@BigLib 

 

Of course, government can run itself for awhile - day to day stuff is pretty much automatic and we aren't getting too much done the way it is now and has been for a long time.  Government is all about procedures and programs and there are rules about everything.  Just put a few more in place to cover the interim IF the "NONE OF THE ABOVE" vote actually wins by a landslide.

 

But even better would be the number, majority or not, that this "NONE OF THE ABOVE" vote count might reveal about our governing (vote) process.

 

I am tired of the American people having a major reason for voting for someone to be just because they weren't the other one.  That is not what voting for someone should be all about.

 

 

0 Kudos
807 Views
1
Report
Esteemed Social Butterfly


@GailL1 wrote:

@BigLib 

 

Of course, government can run itself for awhile - day to day stuff is pretty much automatic and we aren't getting too much done the way it is now and has been for a long time.  Government is all about procedures and programs and there are rules about everything.  Just put a few more in place to cover the interim IF the "NONE OF THE ABOVE" vote actually wins by a landslide.

 

But even better would be the number, majority or not, that this "NONE OF THE ABOVE" vote count might reveal about our governing (vote) process.

 

I am tired of the American people having a major reason for voting for someone to be just because they weren't the other one.  That is not what voting for someone should be all about.

 

 


I'm afraid you gloss over some pretty important governmental functions. Primarily, what message would America not having a sitting president send to our enemies?

 

 

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
0 Kudos
762 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

When you go down such a strange path you have to look at what State it comes from. GA. is where the idea comes from.

What did we just see in GA. The Reb. nonmainted a person for Congress who is a member of the Q conspiracy crew. She was so bad the National Reb. tried to get her stopped but failed. Steve S wrote that she should be defeated. Well she won and we see Trump endorse her. 

You can not have people like this going to Congress or any Office with out destroying it. Trump is the living proof of that.

What we need is to send the far right and far left to the trash can of history for good, and then you will get the center of the 2 parties to work together like they used to. The tea party started this nonsense and the far left joined them. This country is set up for a 2 party system like it or not.

Honored Social Butterfly

well said Olderscout, although I wouldn't mind a more strong robust Independent Party with candidate myself.
Honored Social Butterfly

Tom5678 wrote: well said Olderscout, although I wouldn't mind a more strong robust Independent Party with candidate myself. 

 

Agreed. I voted for Perot twice, but then the GOPerLords sent Buchanan to destroy the Reform Party by shifting it to the nazi wing of the GOP, and all the sane people left.

 

Right now, we need Congress to get involved in the War Against the USPS - House should pass a resolution delaying $150,000,000 of the absurd jrbush requirement to fully fund retirement costs for the next 75 years and use the money to insure every mail in ballot gets "next day delivery" service.

 

Moscow Mitch will kill it, but voters will know who want more voters and who's terrified of the Will of the People.

 

Honored Social Butterfly

Better option is to remove from office all Republicans as they are the ones who allowed tRump to destroy the dignity of our Nation and its economy.

Honored Social Butterfly


@Olderscout66 wrote:

Better option is to remove from office all Republicans as they are the ones who allowed tRump to destroy the dignity of our Nation and its economy.


That just gets rid of one part of the equation - change the names around and the song sounds the same to me.  We are stuck in a well and can't seem to get out - HATE seems to be our current legislative motivator on both sides.  That is no way to run a country or do what is right for everybody.

 

0 Kudos
367 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1   You always have lost of options, I don't know how come you forgot to mention them. like
Write in a name I have written Mickey Mouse many times.
and leaving it blank.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

@Roxanna35 

 

As you know, I am a Libertarian - we haven't had a viable candidate in a long time.  No 3rd party really has any chance because we are ruled by the 2-party system of Democrats and Republicans - with various extremes within both.

 

What I am saying is "NONE OF THE ABOVE" should be a choice and we may find that it could have a pretty strong showing - would it be at the 50% mark or higher - who knows unless we try it.  And not just for the highest office in the land either - for every office - even down ballot.

 

Wouldn't his make both parties stand up and pay attention - I think so because then they would have to go back to the drawing board and find other candidates because with an overwhelming majority voting for the choice of "NONE OF THE ABOVE", both parties and their current candidates have lost.

 

 

0 Kudos
243 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1    I can see your point but who would be able to change that in the voting system? the Legislative branch or the Supreme Court? 
I have always wanted more that two parties. but apparently that will never be in the US. I really would like to see a parlamentarian type of governnent here rather than what we have.  
I  have always been partial to the Libertarian platform and I like it a lot better than the Republican platform but I guess that is not going to happen inoir lifetime

no name
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png