Your pain isn't like anyone else's, and science is homing in on better treatments. Read about the newest ways to break pain's grip.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: WE HAVE REAPED THE WHIRLWIND

Message 1 of 14

A disturbing addendum to my earlier posting: A quote from a new book entitled "The Tango War: The Struggle for the Hearts, Minds, and Riches of Latin America during World War II" by Mary Jo McConahay.

“Four hundred-thousand in various [Latin American] countries were killed in the late ‘60s, ‘70s, ‘80s, mostly by authoritarian military governments supported by the US.”

schlomo
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 14

I wasn't speaking about the area.  I was speaking about the actions.  and yes Olderscout did described   what where those policies in Latin America that created a lof of what is happening today.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 14

There's a number of good books describing how American Corporations and Government worked to subvert and rob Central and South America, The Ugly American just doesn't happen to be one - a 1958 book by that name tells how we screwed over South East Asia, and an earlier one by Pearl Buck tells how we messed up China.

Point being, we used "gunboat diplomacy" to advance Corporate interests at the expense of the native populations all around the globe, and it's coming home to roost as those countries produce young people who want revenge. The 9/11 terrorists are a case in point, but not the only ones our "Capitalist" foreign policy created - Iran is another excellent example.

We can't undo the past, but perhaps we can take a more Christian approach to the people fleeing the "failed States" our previous meddling helped to fail.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 14

@rker321 wrote:

@rk9152     I don't believe that you have had a personal experience of living in any other part of this hemisphere to be able to have an opinion that would just be   your opinion.

The "Ugly American" is not about that neck of the woods. Not my opinion - fact.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 14

Obama already gave an apology tour. 

Now, it's time for a take responsibility for your own **** hole culture tour.

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 14

@rk9152     I don't believe that you have had a personal experience of living in any other part of this hemisphere to be able to have an opinion that would just be   your opinion.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 14

@rker321 wrote:

The Ugly American, is the book that really explains a lot of how Americans Corporations behaved in those countries and the antagonism that they created.

No it isn't.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 14

Frankly, I don't think that the actions of the US in Latin America years ago, is the cause of this Central American migration.

Yes,  it is true, that the actions of the uS in not only central, south and the Caribbean  were not that great.

Yes, the antagonism that they created in all of those countries is what brought in many ways, Castro to Cuba and the many countries that although didn't turned to Communism  their main goal was Yankee go home.
The Ugly American, is the book that really explains a lot of how Americans Corporations behaved in those countries and the antagonism that they created.

The amount of Dictatorships that have existed in this Hemisphere is perhaps  the cause of many of the very bad policies that have existed toward many of these countries.
Do read the book and you will find enough causes as to the why of the many problems that plague especially Central and  South America.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 14

@mickstuder wrote:

Well I believe I read something somewhere about the lengths a few other Presidents were willing to go to - to help wayward Countries in Central & Southern America with their erh Social Ills

Funny how we Americans are so Predictably Cyclical & the Creative Terminolgy we come up with

"Alliance for Prosperity"

"Freedom Fighters"

Funny thing about Nicaragua too - even with all the Shenanigans by Ollie & Ronald & Casper - even the legitimate millions appropriated by Congress

It wasn't the USA that solved the Sandinista Problem - it was the President of Costa Rica - another of those Countries who were also recipients of Millions is US aid - so I guess you win & lose a few in the long run

BTW - Trump is getting ready to put the guy who engineered all the Executive Privledge protections for Reagan & then the pardons for all the other Criminals involved in the Iran/Conta Scandal by HW Bush - Mr Barr

Well Strangely enough Mr Barr is on track to be the US AG again - this time for Trump

Gives New Meaning - to - Timing is Everything

Yes, mick, we did attempt to thwart the efforts of the Castro supported expansion of Communism throughout South and Central America. But I believe the comments about our interference in the area goes back at least a half century when we attempted to help American Corporations in the region.

In today's world, I would not support such interference in other nations. But how about the "interference" to stop the spread of Communism in our area - any problem with that? 

A bit of an aside but still germane - pols in the past have used some variation of LBJ's, "He may be an s.o.b. but he's our s.o.b." and considering the options in some of the nations under discussion that seems a reasonable approach.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 14

@GailL1 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote::

. . . . Our actions in South America have caused this mass migration. The right thing to do is to accept these people, help them assimilate into our society, and correct the wrongs we have committed it South America. WE need a new president and almost an entirely new Congress to even move towards doing that.

Since about 2015, as a result of the hords of unaccompanied minors coming here, we began giving the Northern Triangle countries about $ 750 million to help fix their social problems - down to about $ 500 million now - it was called the "Alliance for Prosperity" - an Obama / Biden idea.

So is the U.S. adding to the problem by giving this donation to help with the social ills in those countries?  Should we continue?  I don't know, I am asking.

Evidently Biden thinks more might do the trick ????  Again, I don't know, I'm asking.

Well I believe I read something somewhere about the lengths a few other Presidents were willing to go to - to help wayward Countries in Central & Southern America with their erh Social Ills

Funny how we Americans are so Predictably Cyclical & the Creative Terminolgy we come up with

"Alliance for Prosperity"

"Freedom Fighters"

Funny thing about Nicaragua too - even with all the Shenanigans by Ollie & Ronald & Casper - even the legitimate millions appropriated by Congress

It wasn't the USA that solved the Sandinista Problem - it was the President of Costa Rica - another of those Countries who were also recipients of Millions is US aid - so I guess you win & lose a few in the long run

BTW - Trump is getting ready to put the guy who engineered all the Executive Privledge protections for Reagan & then the pardons for all the other Criminals involved in the Iran/Conta Scandal by HW Bush - Mr Barr

Well Strangely enough Mr Barr is on track to be the US AG again - this time for Trump

Gives New Meaning - to - Timing is Everything

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views