Reply
Social Butterfly

Voting Registration

Why not have everyone over 18 register to vote for life.  It would save money and hassles.

0 Kudos
277 Views
8
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

  •     I am all for same day voter registration.    It eliminates the complaint of people move.   Also the use of Vote Centers instead of precincts will also reduce the number of disenfranchised voters.
  •     The RW has used a process of partial information to disenfranchise voters - fortunately, it is been disbanded and they have lost a number of lawsuits...and their "guy" who was the think-tank died and left all the info to his daughter and she shared the contents of his research.
  •      The US has / had a very mobile society and there has never been a process for the voter and their family to notify the Election Department of the State they are leaving of their move.   
  •    The use of a social security system may work for new voters, but not for some Seniors...unless people want to disenfranchise some voters or set up a very low cost system to assist them get the historical birth certificate or alternate record.     ( yes, I called the State in which I was born to determine the cost and because not all records have been digitized, including birth certificates of the year I was born, so the cost increases, not decreases for some Seniors.  
PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
0 Kudos
229 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@afisher wrote:
  •     I am all for same day voter registration.    It eliminates the complaint of people move.   Also the use of Vote Centers instead of precincts will also reduce the number of disenfranchised voters. 

Same day for registration nationwide?  People are moving everyday.  There are various tiers of voting...precinct, city, state and federal.

 

Most states has a process if one doesn't vote in a certain number of elections that automatically removes them from the registration rolls.

 

And it isn't necessarily and only the RW that attempts to skew the process in their favor.

0 Kudos
225 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@afisher wrote:
  •     I am all for same day voter registration.    It eliminates the complaint of people move.   Also the use of Vote Centers instead of precincts will also reduce the number of disenfranchised voters. 

Same day for registration nationwide?  People are moving everyday.  There are various tiers of voting...precinct, city, state and federal.

 

Most states has a process if one doesn't vote in a certain number of elections that automatically removes them from the registration rolls.

 

And it isn't necessarily and only the RW that attempts to skew the process in their favor.


Who else does now days?

0 Kudos
171 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

I'm not sure how any local elections could be managed.

 

I'd like to make the process better not easier. Simple is better, like voting on Saturday, registration on line, mailed in registration forms with prep[aid envelops, but without guardrails... that's  foolish, and will lead to increased incidents of fraud. The dog whistle word 'disenfranchised' isn't accurate... lazy and indifferent, is more likely. 

 

Increased civil education about our great American success story, will help with pride and a sense of responsibility about voting. 


Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
199 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@mimi0000 wrote:

Why not have everyone over 18 register to vote for life.  It would save money and hassles.


Not a bad idea because then they would have to be responsible for keeping up with their registration. We are definitely a far reach from the time when births were not always recorded officially. Register when they turn 18 or become a citizen but they still have to perform certain personal task.   Like:

Moving it, if they move.  Then there is that verification of address for many people.

Changing their name, if they change their name.

Making sure that estates report their death and have them removed.

Making sure that their status is reported by some entity like those who become mentally incapable of voting, they are in jail for a felony, they renounce their citizenship for some reason.

Then, of course, they would have to continue to make it active by either voting or some sort of a renewal method if they fail to vote within some period of (long) time.

 

Do you know how often people move?  Well, at least up to this time in our existence.

Do you know how many people NEVER vote or EVER registered?

However, I know people today that officially have NO physical address - just a PO Box - they move around in an RV or just live from place to place.

 

 

 

0 Kudos
263 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@GailL1 wrote:

@mimi0000 wrote:

Why not have everyone over 18 register to vote for life.  It would save money and hassles.


Not a bad idea because then they would have to be responsible for keeping up with their registration. We are definitely a far reach from the time when births were not always recorded officially. Register when they turn 18 or become a citizen but they still have to perform certain personal task.   Like:

Moving it, if they move.  Then there is that verification of address for many people.

Changing their name, if they change their name.

Making sure that estates report their death and have them removed.

Making sure that their status is reported by some entity like those who become mentally incapable of voting, they are in jail for a felony, they renounce their citizenship for some reason.

Then, of course, they would have to continue to make it active by either voting or some sort of a renewal method if they fail to vote within some period of (long) time.

 

Do you know how often people move?  Well, at least up to this time in our existence.

Do you know how many people NEVER vote or EVER registered?

However, I know people today that officially have NO physical address - just a PO Box - they move around in an RV or just live from place to place.

 

 

 


Careful about that births not being recorded. It still happens in Native American Country a fair amount of time. The same with address as that happens more often. A lot who live remote just have a PO Box if anything. SS number is a good idea you could register all when they are born in the USA. Keeping track of address changes could be handled by the DMV when they get drivers license, or car. My State already does that. You can have them do it by phone as my State has done that for sometime now.  You could also use Income Tax filings. Some of the address changes could be done by govt. from documents like that with out the person having to do anything. You can also allow it when a person votes at the polling place. The only ones who would oppose this are the States who want to keep people from voting and we see them at work doing that all the time.

0 Kudos
245 Views
0
Report
Social Butterfly

A person social security number could be their identity verification for voting.

0 Kudos
254 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@mimi0000 wrote:

A person social security number could be their identity verification for voting.


And when a person moves to another locality, precinct, district or state?   Americans has become a mobile society.

0 Kudos
233 Views
0
Report
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png