Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Virginia Beach Employee Works to Abolish City’s Gun-Free Zone Policy

Message 1 of 6

OH.......isn't that cute. They found ONE employee who wants to have guns all around so they can pretend he is the start of a movement.  I just have to remind them of the old saying: "There is always that ONE guy. Right?"

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

IF guns could make you safe, America would be the safest place on the Planet.

It's not because they can't.

Now we have an ARMED police officer on his way to jail because he lacked the ability to actually confront a lunitic shooting school children. Knowing this, how many teachers are going to sign up for becoming armed guards, and what good will MORE guns in school do to protect our children?

BAN SEMI-AUTOMATIC WEAPONS!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

@jimc91 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

A Virginia Beach employee is circulating a petition to abolish the city’s policy barring employees from bringing guns into work if they are properly permitted.

Vincent Smith, an engineer who worked in Building 2 where the recent shooting occurred, posted a petition on Change.org asking the city to amend its employee weapons ban so properly licensed personnel may bring their gun to work, local CBS affiliate WTKR reported.

“People are forced, like I am every day, to choose between earning a living and saving my life,” Smith told WTKR.

“I want a real consideration by council and a real discussion about changing the policy that the city has to something that doesn’t just forbid employees to have weapons but something that includes an allowance for people to take a personal level of responsibility for their own safety,” he said.

The petition had 2,270 signers as of June 26, close to its initial goal of 2,500.

Smith wasn’t in the building during the May 31 shooting that left 12 people dead, including shooter DeWayne Craddock. The shooting occurred on multiple floors of Building 2 of the Virginia Beach Municipal Center, reported CNN.

Smith also said he doesn’t believe that everyone with a concealed carry permit should be instantly granted the right to bring their gun to work without meeting additional criteria.

“I see a program where employees are vetted through background checks and psychological screenings on a regular basis,” Smith said.

Smith is also his building’s evacuation manager, and long recognized a “gap” in security because qualified employees could not carry a firearm into the building.

In 2016 he drafted a petition to change the policy and collected 260 signatures, one of which was Bert Snelling’s, an outside contractor killed May 31.

“Had I gotten these changes effective on May 30 we would be looking at a very different May 31,” Smith added.

BY:  Whitney Tipton

I have been waiting with bated breath to hear about this subject. It is the most important subject of the day. I heard there were 10 employees who were working to stop all employees except police from having any kind of firearms. Had that happened by May 30th there would have been no shooting. Well there is another way also. Get rid of Trump and the far right wing. That would improve the USA, and the world.

@john258 , do you have any thoughts on the idea of the employee's efforts to abolish the city's "gun free zone" policy? ( the actual subject of this thread)

@jimc91 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

A Virginia Beach employee is circulating a petition to abolish the city’s policy barring employees from bringing guns into work if they are properly permitted.

Vincent Smith, an engineer who worked in Building 2 where the recent shooting occurred, posted a petition on Change.org asking the city to amend its employee weapons ban so properly licensed personnel may bring their gun to work, local CBS affiliate WTKR reported.

“People are forced, like I am every day, to choose between earning a living and saving my life,” Smith told WTKR.

“I want a real consideration by council and a real discussion about changing the policy that the city has to something that doesn’t just forbid employees to have weapons but something that includes an allowance for people to take a personal level of responsibility for their own safety,” he said.

The petition had 2,270 signers as of June 26, close to its initial goal of 2,500.

Smith wasn’t in the building during the May 31 shooting that left 12 people dead, including shooter DeWayne Craddock. The shooting occurred on multiple floors of Building 2 of the Virginia Beach Municipal Center, reported CNN.

Smith also said he doesn’t believe that everyone with a concealed carry permit should be instantly granted the right to bring their gun to work without meeting additional criteria.

“I see a program where employees are vetted through background checks and psychological screenings on a regular basis,” Smith said.

Smith is also his building’s evacuation manager, and long recognized a “gap” in security because qualified employees could not carry a firearm into the building.

In 2016 he drafted a petition to change the policy and collected 260 signatures, one of which was Bert Snelling’s, an outside contractor killed May 31.

“Had I gotten these changes effective on May 30 we would be looking at a very different May 31,” Smith added.

I have been waiting with bated breath to hear about this subject. It is the most important subject of the day. I heard there were 10 employees who were working to stop all employees except police from having any kind of firearms. Had that happened by May 30th there would have been no shooting. Well there is another way also. Get rid of Trump and the far right wing. That would improve the USA, and the world.

@john258 , do you have any thoughts on the idea of the employee's efforts to abolish the city's "gun free zone" policy? ( the actual subject of this thread)

Yes. We keep the City gun free policy and get rid of Dictator Trump.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

@john258 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

@jimc91 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

Virginia Beach Employee Works to Abolish City’s Gun-Free Zone Policy

Message 6 of 6

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Replies