Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: USA = A Flawed Democracy!

Message 41 of 54

@smcawrote:

The Economist started the Democracy Index with the year 2006.  Their 2017 intro mentions that democracy is under stress overall:

• "In the 2017 Democracy Index the average global score fell from 5.52 in 2016 to 5.48 (on a scale of 0 to 10). Some 89 countries experienced a decline in their total score compared with 2016, more than three times as many as the countries that recorded an improvement (27), the worst performance since 2010-11 in the aftermath of the global economic and financial crisis. The other 51 countries stagnated, as their scores remained unchanged compared with 2016."

However the USA has a continuing negative trend & has fallen in terms of both rank and score.

• USA 2006    Rank = 17    Score = 8.22
  • USA 2017    Rank = 22    Score = 7.98

I think there's a lot of factors contributing to this decline but that they all stem from the obscene inequality that has returned to the USA gradually since about 1980.

Koch & gang are making the rules & our politicians, especially the GOP, are just implementing whatever they're told to do.  Something I was reading suggested that if a stop to the super-rich's dominance doesn't happen soon, it'll simply be too late.  Scary!

"Koch"???? Koch Industries is #55 on the contributers list for 2016 - Soros is #12 and Tom Steyer is #1. So - why Koch?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 54

@rk9152wrote:

@sp362wrote:

You have posted a claim that we are a flawed democracy. I do not need a reading assignment - I need your views as to what our flaws are.

Oh  dear Rk  don't you like either Olderscout or my views on this subject?  We did find quite a few things that probably need to be fixed. One is the way we are now governing. and all the corruption that is infesting our legislators.,  so what are yours or don't you have any?

no name
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 54

@Olderscout66wrote:

@sp362wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

I didn't see what our flaws are, did you? I also didn't see any historical data. Did we just get "flawed" in the past year or so or have we been flawed for decades or even centuries?

The answer to your question:

North America has the highest average score in the Democracy Index of any region. Canada and the US continue to perform reasonably well, but they lag behind many European countries, particularly those of northern Europe. Furthermore, the performance of the two North American democracies has diverged in recent years. The US fell below the threshold for a “full democracy ” in 2016 and is now rated as a “flawed democracy ”. The main cause of the US regression was a serious decline in public trust in
US institutions in 2016. This year the country ’s overall score remained the same, and the US remains in 21st place in the global rankings. The score for Canada also stayed the same, at 9.15, and it remains in joint sixth place (with Ireland).

The full report is here:

The loss of trust did not come from the Government failing to perform its functions in a reasonable manner. It came from Reagan killing the Fairness Doctrine and then turning lose all the nutjobs who fed the paranoid fantasies ofthe Republican base about how the GOVERNMENT (and not anyone in the private sector) was the PROBLEM, so the solution was to get RID of the Government's ability to regulate the private sector which (according to the myth GOPers push) will automaticfally make things better by letting all the wealth created dribble down on the 99% like a Golden Shower.

So America - how's that working for ya?

Sunnovagun - I thought all our ills came from the Reagan tax cuts. Now I learn that allowing dissenting voices was part of our woes. Who wudda thunk it?

You just enjoy your golden shower fantasies.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 54

The Economist started the Democracy Index with the year 2006.  Their 2017 intro mentions that democracy is under stress overall:

• "In the 2017 Democracy Index the average global score fell from 5.52 in 2016 to 5.48 (on a scale of 0 to 10). Some 89 countries experienced a decline in their total score compared with 2016, more than three times as many as the countries that recorded an improvement (27), the worst performance since 2010-11 in the aftermath of the global economic and financial crisis. The other 51 countries stagnated, as their scores remained unchanged compared with 2016."

However the USA has a continuing negative trend & has fallen in terms of both rank and score.

• USA 2006    Rank = 17    Score = 8.22
  • USA 2017    Rank = 22    Score = 7.98

I think there's a lot of factors contributing to this decline but that they all stem from the obscene inequality that has returned to the USA gradually since about 1980.

Koch & gang are making the rules & our politicians, especially the GOP, are just implementing whatever they're told to do.  Something I was reading suggested that if a stop to the super-rich's dominance doesn't happen soon, it'll simply be too late.  Scary!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 54

@Olderscout66wrote:

Anyone with a cursory knowledge of History knows our slide into "Flawed Democracy" began when Republicans began using computers to Gerrymander Congressional districts so they could create political majorities with a minority of votes.

The slide accellerated when Republicans realized the Gerrymander wasn't enough, and began inventing voter suppression laws that disporportionatily impacted groups less likely to vote Republican - the poor and non-white citizens.

The slide became a head-long rush when GOPers killed the Fairness Doctrine making it possible for them to spread hate and divisivness over the Peoples airways without any restrictions.

It went into free-fall when the Fascist Five decided there could be no limits on spending during a political campaign, and no elected official could be convicted of accepting bribes for political favors unless there was some writen agreement showing s/he accepted a payment for a specific votefor or support of a specific piece of legislation. since not even a NRAGOPer is dumb enough to create such documentation while arranging their bribes, no elected official will EVER be convicted of taking bribes because no one can prove those unlimited political "contributions" have any strings attached.

Well now there ya go - if only we could get rid of those pesky Republicans and have a one Party system with a strong central government controlling the economy and all money and providing for all the essential of life - we would have a ........ hmmm, certainly not a democracy.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 54

@sp362wrote:

You have posted a claim that we are a flawed democracy. I do not need a reading assignment - I need your views as to what our flaws are.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 54

@Olderscout66wrote:

@sp362wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

I didn't see what our flaws are, did you? I also didn't see any historical data. Did we just get "flawed" in the past year or so or have we been flawed for decades or even centuries?

North America has the highest average score in the Democracy Index of any region. Canada and the US continue to perform reasonably well, but they lag behind many European countries, particularly those of northern Europe. Furthermore, the performance of the two North American democracies has diverged in recent years. The US fell below the threshold for a “full democracy ” in 2016 and is now rated as a “flawed democracy ”. The main cause of the US regression was a serious decline in public trust in
US institutions in 2016. This year the country ’s overall score remained the same, and the US remains in 21st place in the global rankings. The score for Canada also stayed the same, at 9.15, and it remains in joint sixth place (with Ireland).

The full report is here:

The loss of trust did not come from the Government failing to perform its functions in a reasonable manner. It came from Reagan killing the Fairness Doctrine and then turning lose all the nutjobs who fed the paranoid fantasies ofthe Republican base about how the GOVERNMENT (and not anyone in the private sector) was the PROBLEM, so the solution was to get RID of the Government's ability to regulate the private sector which (according to the myth GOPers push) will automaticfally make things better by letting all the wealth created dribble down on the 99% like a Golden Shower.

There is truth in what you are stating. but the way to combat  this Administration has to be  different that what I see in your posts.
In many ways you have become the biggest excuse that the Republicans have when they want to point out the bad Democrats.
Sorry, but the only thing that see many times is the fact that you love to generalize I can guarantee you that there are decent Republicans that do not agree with Trump of the fringes that support him and that we see in this forum
The ones that post here represent the extremists that have hijacked the Republican Party and made it what we are seeing today.
They have destroyed the Republican Party, and that is the reason that you have seen the exodus of many legislators. 
they can't stomach what their own party has become.

no name
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 54

@sp362wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

The full report is here:

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 54

@Olderscout66wrote:

Anyone with a cursory knowledge of History knows our slide into "Flawed Democracy" began when Republicans began using computers to Gerrymander Congressional districts so they could create political majorities with a minority of votes.

The slide accellerated when Republicans realized the Gerrymander wasn't enough, and began inventing voter suppression laws that disporportionatily impacted groups less likely to vote Republican - the poor and non-white citizens.

The slide became a head-long rush when GOPers killed the Fairness Doctrine making it possible for them to spread hate and divisivness over the Peoples airways without any restrictions.

It went into free-fall when the Fascist Five decided there could be no limits on spending during a political campaign, and no elected official could be convicted of accepting bribes for political favors unless there was some writen agreement showing s/he accepted a payment for a specific votefor or support of a specific piece of legislation. since not even a NRAGOPer is dumb enough to create such documentation while arranging their bribes, no elected official will EVER be convicted of taking bribes because no one can prove those unlimited political "contributions" have any strings attached.

By this post I see that you are blaming Americans for all the ills that this country has. Whether they are or not Republicans, obviously all of the things that you mentioned have been sanctioned by Americans. Please, do not forget that Democrats are also Americans and they have not  been perfect either. You need to become more balanced in your posts.

no name
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 54

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.