Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: USA = A Flawed Democracy!

Message 31 of 54

@Roxanna35wrote:

So RK  we don't have a flawed democracy?  so what do you call the Republican legislators threatening Delta unless they again resume the relations that they have with the NRA  or they will not pass a bill regarding fuel costs. what can cost this private corporation millions of dollars?

Blackmail is the name of that action in case you have forgotten. but of course no matter what immorality your group does is ok with you.

So 321, when did I say that?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 54

@rk9152wrote:

@Olderscout66wrote:

@sp362wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

I didn't see what our flaws are, did you? I also didn't see any historical data. Did we just get "flawed" in the past year or so or have we been flawed for decades or even centuries?

The answer to your question:

North America has the highest average score in the Democracy Index of any region. Canada and the US continue to perform reasonably well, but they lag behind many European countries, particularly those of northern Europe. Furthermore, the performance of the two North American democracies has diverged in recent years. The US fell below the threshold for a “full democracy ” in 2016 and is now rated as a “flawed democracy ”. The main cause of the US regression was a serious decline in public trust in
US institutions in 2016. This year the country ’s overall score remained the same, and the US remains in 21st place in the global rankings. The score for Canada also stayed the same, at 9.15, and it remains in joint sixth place (with Ireland).

The full report is here:

The loss of trust did not come from the Government failing to perform its functions in a reasonable manner. It came from Reagan killing the Fairness Doctrine and then turning lose all the nutjobs who fed the paranoid fantasies ofthe Republican base about how the GOVERNMENT (and not anyone in the private sector) was the PROBLEM, so the solution was to get RID of the Government's ability to regulate the private sector which (according to the myth GOPers push) will automaticfally make things better by letting all the wealth created dribble down on the 99% like a Golden Shower.

So America - how's that working for ya?

Sunnovagun - I thought all our ills came from the Reagan tax cuts. Now I learn that allowing dissenting voices was part of our woes. Who wudda thunk it?

You just enjoy your golden shower fantasies.

Another 100% Troll - guess you got the memo about Der Trumper being PROUD he's a Troll, so you will be too.

Sad to say, those Golden Showers the NRAGOP provide for the 99% are not fantasy, but only the dupes on the far right really enjoy the feeling.

We have ONE manor party promoting Gerrymanders and voter suppression. It's the same party that uses political office to reward the very rich by redistributing money from the bottom 99% to the very top of the 1%/ And its the same party that thinks Fox, Breightbart and Infowars are sources of NEWS.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 54

@rk9152wrote:

@sp362wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

@sp362wrote:

You have posted a claim that we are a flawed democracy. I do not need a reading assignment - I need your views as to what our flaws are.

You posted a question, and I gave you an answer to your question.  Aren't you the one is always complaining about people posting responses that limit discussion?  If you wanted to comment about the methodology used, or the fact that we are only 0.03 points away from being classified as a Democracy instead of a Failed Democracy, that would have been fine.  To complain that you would actually have to read something to be educated is ridiculous.  Personally, I think the list is about right.  Look up the definition of Democracy and let me know why with our system of Gerrymandering and the Electoral College where some votes count more than others, that we should be higher on the list.

YOU stated that YOU thought that we are a flawed democracy. If gerrymandering and the EC are the extent of YOUR complaints, YOU are arguing against our history, certainly not a contemporary situation.

First, YOU have me confused with somebody else.  YOU show me where I stated what you said in my answer to YOU which was my first post in this thread.  YOU asked why the US is not as high up on this list as YOU want and I gave YOU access to how they actually figured it out and two examples of why we would be downgraded as a Democracy and would not be considered first.  There were 60 different items in their methodology YOU could have taken the time to actually look at it, but that would have required reading and educating YOURSELF on the issue.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 54

So RK  we don't have a flawed democracy?  so what do you call the Republican legislators threatening Delta unless they again resume the relations that they have with the NRA  or they will not pass a bill regarding fuel costs. what can cost this private corporation millions of dollars?

Blackmail is the name of that action in case you have forgotten. but of course no matter what immorality your group does is ok with you.

no name
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 54

@sp362wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

@sp362wrote:

You have posted a claim that we are a flawed democracy. I do not need a reading assignment - I need your views as to what our flaws are.

You posted a question, and I gave you an answer to your question.  Aren't you the one is always complaining about people posting responses that limit discussion?  If you wanted to comment about the methodology used, or the fact that we are only 0.03 points away from being classified as a Democracy instead of a Failed Democracy, that would have been fine.  To complain that you would actually have to read something to be educated is ridiculous.  Personally, I think the list is about right.  Look up the definition of Democracy and let me know why with our system of Gerrymandering and the Electoral College where some votes count more than others, that we should be higher on the list.

YOU stated that YOU thought that we are a flawed democracy. If gerrymandering and the EC are the extent of YOUR complaints, YOU are arguing against our history, certainly not a contemporary situation.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 54

@smcawrote:

@rk9152wrote:
"Koch"???? Koch Industries is #55 on the contributers list for 2016 - Soros is #12 and Tom Steyer is #1. So - why Koch?

Perhaps you'd like to supply us with a link to your referred-to 2016 "list".  Just want to make sure they tallied the ENTIRE Koch network.  If you want to check it yourself, you could look at this WIKI though there may be even more comprehensive sources:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_activities_of_the_Koch_brothers#Political_activity

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 54

@rk9152wrote:

@smcawrote:

The Economist started the Democracy Index with the year 2006.  Their 2017 intro mentions that democracy is under stress overall:

• "In the 2017 Democracy Index the average global score fell from 5.52 in 2016 to 5.48 (on a scale of 0 to 10). Some 89 countries experienced a decline in their total score compared with 2016, more than three times as many as the countries that recorded an improvement (27), the worst performance since 2010-11 in the aftermath of the global economic and financial crisis. The other 51 countries stagnated, as their scores remained unchanged compared with 2016."

However the USA has a continuing negative trend & has fallen in terms of both rank and score.

• USA 2006    Rank = 17    Score = 8.22
  • USA 2017    Rank = 22    Score = 7.98

I think there's a lot of factors contributing to this decline but that they all stem from the obscene inequality that has returned to the USA gradually since about 1980.

Koch & gang are making the rules & our politicians, especially the GOP, are just implementing whatever they're told to do.  Something I was reading suggested that if a stop to the super-rich's dominance doesn't happen soon, it'll simply be too late.  Scary!

"Koch"???? Koch Industries is #55 on the contributers list for 2016 - Soros is #12 and Tom Steyer is #1. So - why Koch?

Could you give us a link to your list.  The list I saw has Steyer as #2. Richard Uihlein, a conservative donor is #1 by a very large amount (roughly 50%).  Since Soros is still #12 on this list.  Charles Koch individually is #29 on the list.  Of course, these are individual contributions and do not include the contributions to super PACS.

https://www.opensecrets.org/overview/topindivs.php?view=sp&cycle=2018

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 54

@rk9152wrote:

@sp362wrote:

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 54

@rk9152wrote:

Perhaps you'd like to supply us with a link to your referred-to 2016 "list".  Just want to make sure they tallied the ENTIRE Koch network.  If you want to check it yourself, you could look at this WIKI though there may be even more comprehensive sources:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_activities_of_the_Koch_brothers#Political_activity

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 54

@Roxanna35wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

@sp362wrote:

Oh  dear Rk  don't you like either Olderscout or my views on this subject?  We did find quite a few things that probably need to be fixed. One is the way we are now governing. and all the corruption that is infesting our legislators.,  so what are yours or don't you have any?

Do you know that you are responding to my words to sp362, not you, not scout. I have replied to scout. In your case, I have not seen anything worth commenting on.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.

Top Authors