Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: US Middle East Commander Disagrees with Trump

Message 1 of 5

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Manic, I think there's a big difference between unilaterally going to the press and saying you disagree with the President versus being asked that question at a Congressional hearing. At the hearing, the general, when asked, is expected to off his military opinion.

Sorry, I didn’t realize that was the context. Makes more sense.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

Truimp regularly goes against the advice of all expert advisers, including military advisers, security advisers, economic advisers, etc, etc. Trump is a wanna-be dictator and will go to any length to get his own way. In this process he has alienated all of our allies, embarrassed us internationally, but (evidently to the approval of his moronic base) has gained the approval of Putin and two dictators.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

US Middle East Commander Disagrees with Trump

Message 3 of 5

Manic, I think there's a big difference between unilaterally going to the press and saying you disagree with the President versus being asked that question at a Congressional hearing. At the hearing, the general, when asked, is expected to off his military opinion.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

I agree with him.....but is he allowed to say that? As an active duty military commander?

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

US Middle East Commander Disagrees with Trump

Message 5 of 5

Muscat, Oman (CNN)The US commander who has been leading the war against ISIS told CNN Friday that he disagreed with Donald Trump's decision to pull troops out of Syria and warned that the terror group was far from defeated, in a stark public break with the President.

Joseph Votel, the top American general in the Middle East, also said that the US-backed forces on the ground in Syria were not ready to handle the threat of ISIS on their own.

"It would not have been my military advice at that particular time ... I would not have made that suggestion, frankly," Votel said of the troop withdrawal. "(The caliphate) still has leaders, still has fighters, it still has facilitators, it still has resources, so our continued military pressure is necessary to continue to go after that network."
Kudos
Views
Replies