Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: US Debt Ceiling Approaches Next Week

Message 1 of 8

After 8 years of what seemed like Debt Limit trauma when Obama was President, now that they're in power, the Republicans are examining the Debt Limit from a very different perpsective.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 8

@GailL1 wrote:

Too bad there are not enough Democrats to even make a deal connected to this  occasion; they like to spend too.

Historically, Republican administrations are responsible for far more debt than the Democrat administrations are, it's close to 39% Dems and 61% Republicans.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

Too bad there are not enough Democrats to even make a deal connected to this  occasion; they like to spend too.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

I find it interesting that Trump and friends are once again advocating"Trickle Down Economics".  According to the "Library of Economics and Liberty, Reaganonmics, William A. Niskanen,"During the Reagan administration, which also advocated "Trickle Down Economics," Regan not only cut taxes, but increases government spending by 2.5% a year.  He also Tripled the Federal debt, which grrew from $997 billion in 1981 to 2.85 trillion in 1989.  Oddly enough, most of the new spending went to defense.  According to this article, massive government spending, rather than  trickle down economics ended the recession during the Reagan era.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Isn't it interesting to see how the GOP perceives the Debt Ceiling now that the Republicans control both houses and the Presidency instead of President Obama?

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin called on Congress to raise the United States debt limit "at the first opportunity." 

In a letter to congressional leaders dated Wednesday, Mnuchin said the Treasury will stop issuing certain state and local securities on March 15, when the most recent suspension of the debt limit expires. Mnuchin said the Treasury will likely start taking "extraordinary measures" on the next day, when the U.S. will be at its statutory limit, to prevent default.

"As I said in my confirmation hearing, honoring the full faith and credit of our outstanding debt is a critical commitment. I encourage Congress to raise the debt limit at the first opportunity so that we can proceed with our joint priorities," Mnuchin wrote.

Yet another showing of blatant hypocrisy by the Republican Party in Washington. Ya' just can't make this stuff up !!!!

No....sure can't.  But....you know....that's the 'leaders' you just tagged.  What about those who bought the program and put them in power?  Them too....I hope.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

Ah, yes, the blackmailed birth of the Budget Control Act, and ultimate sequestration, that cut the non-military and (sacred) military budgets in equal measure.  

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Isn't it interesting to see how the GOP perceives the Debt Ceiling now that the Republicans control both houses and the Presidency instead of President Obama?

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin called on Congress to raise the United States debt limit "at the first opportunity." 

In a letter to congressional leaders dated Wednesday, Mnuchin said the Treasury will stop issuing certain state and local securities on March 15, when the most recent suspension of the debt limit expires. Mnuchin said the Treasury will likely start taking "extraordinary measures" on the next day, when the U.S. will be at its statutory limit, to prevent default.

"As I said in my confirmation hearing, honoring the full faith and credit of our outstanding debt is a critical commitment. I encourage Congress to raise the debt limit at the first opportunity so that we can proceed with our joint priorities," Mnuchin wrote.

Yet another showing of blatant hypocrisy by the Republican Party in Washington. Ya' just can't make this stuff up !!!!

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

US Debt Ceiling Approaches Next Week

Message 8 of 8

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors