Your pain isn't like anyone else's, and science is homing in on better treatments. Read about the newest ways to break pain's grip.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: UCLA now requires diversity courses

Message 51 of 56

I must be getting old. I remember when "attitude adjustment time" was held in a pub, not a classroom.

The problem I have with this UCLA requirement is that when a student takes a class entitled, "Matrix Algebra" an assumption is made - the student does not know "Matrix Algebra".

When a student is required to take a "Diversity" course an assumption is made - the student is a sexist, racist, homophobe, anti-Muslim Christian bigot. Otherwise, why is the course needed??

With all the whining about the cost of higher education, you'd think that there might be a desire for education - not indoctrination or brain washing.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 56

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

afisher wrote: 
     During my college days, I was required to take courses far outside of my major and it was great.       How dare a biology / chemistry major learn critical reading skills by an English Professor.

Even a biology/chem major needs critical reading skills but DIVERSITY??????  Unbelievable.  You are in college preparing for your next step in your life - employment.  Try and tell them about your diversity courses and you will find an extremely hard time obtaining a good job. Will they next be providing MA and PhD degrees in diversity?

Most universitys require classes at all levels that dont relate to your major....you know..electives. Ususally they are just high falutin writiing <reboot hate that> classes you need as a professional. It aslo demonstrates you have a high level of reading comprehension skills. The class mentioned wont be all a waste. people headed for certain professions or locales may even want to take it. I got stuck with one i didnt think i would like..history of the soviet union. Turned out interesting.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 56

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

afisher wrote: 
     During my college days, I was required to take courses far outside of my major and it was great.       How dare a biology / chemistry major learn critical reading skills by an English Professor.

Even a biology/chem major needs critical reading skills but DIVERSITY??????  Unbelievable.  You are in college preparing for your next step in your life - employment.  Try and tell them about your diversity courses and you will find an extremely hard time obtaining a good job. Will they next be providing MA and PhD degrees in diversity?

Let's GOPishly and moronically ignore the FACT that one will almost certainly be in a diverse workplace and live in a diverse community - and stupidly and simplemindedly pretend that diversity classes will not help in one's life.

Of course - those who shun the concept of the usefulness of diversity training could move to an area where their own peculiar version of bigotry and prejudice is valued...... If any such place exists outside of a very few religiously observant communities.

Even Indiana's GOPerdupe attempt at instituting legalized bigotry will end up failing in the long run.

He is useless on top of the ground - he should be under it - inspiring the cabbages... Mark Twain 1894
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 56

afisher wrote: 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 56

From the article :  

A similar requirement was defeated three times over the last two decades and remained controversial
It will affect most incoming freshman this fall and transfer students in 2017; More than 100 courses qualify.

Are we now so divided as a nation that whiners are going to complain that any mandatory course is an outrage - afterall - one of 100 is a pretty broad range of courses.   

The GOP brainwashing machine wants everyone to stop wasting time being a thinking individual and develop a different set of muscles to evaluate content.  
     The GOP are selling the bleep. that young adults in high school need to chose a major and have to "pay a penalty" if they decide after taking classes that they are un-suited for that major.     
PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

UCLA now requires diversity courses

Message 56 of 56

http://www.latimes.com/local/education/la-me-ln-ucla-diversity-20150410-story.html

This is for most future undergrads.  

I think this is a waste of time and resources.  Altho the idea of diversity is admirable - anyone who has attended college in the past couple decades and attended these classes knows that in the Black Studies classes - you find mostly all Black students; in the Hispanic Studies classes - you find mostly all Hispanic students,, etc..  

"

Among those for the new requirement, physical sciences dean Joseph Rudnick wrote: “Just as a proper introduction to the nature of the scientific enterprise is an irreplaceable component of a complete education, an exposure to rigorous scholarship on diversity is essential preparation for life in the world that awaits our graduates.”

In contrast, political science professor Thomas Schwartz wrote that there is little need for the courses and that proponents seem to be exaggerating how biased UCLA students are.

“The idea that 21st century American 18 year-olds who have been admitted to UCLA are so afflicted with bigotry that they must be forced to endure an attitude-altering course is preposterous. It is like forcing Norwegians to get inoculated against malaria,” he wrote.

Supporters say the requirement measure would not increase the units needed for a diploma and that many students are already taking classes that meet it. More than 100 existing courses across many departments are said to fit the bill and more will be added."

I would agree with the polysci prof.

And yes- I am aware of the OU frat racist incident.

Smiley Tongue

Kudos
Views
Replies