Reply
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: U.S. and South Korea Cancel Planned Military Exercises

93 Views
Message 1 of 4

Another gift to North Korea from the Trump talks. What did we get from elevating Kim? Bupkiss. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: U.S. and South Korea Cancel Planned Military Exercises

100 Views
Message 2 of 4

Mattis Apparently Talks Out Both Sides of His Mouth Like Trump

 

Last Updated Aug 28, 2018 11:39 PM EDT

 

There are no future plans to halt joint U.S.-South Korea military exercises in the Korean Peninsula, Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis said Tuesday.

 

This is a departure from the announcement in June that he had "indefinitely suspended" military exercises with South Korea after President Trump said at his summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un that the U.S. would stop its "war games" with South Korea.

 

Facing a standstill in diplomatic efforts with the North Koreans, this is the latest indication that the Trump administration is not willing to give concessions to Kim without tangible steps on denuclearization.

 

"We have no plans at this time to suspend any more exercises," Mattis told reporters Tuesday.

 

As a result of the president's decision, the U.S.-South Korea August exercise, Freedom Guardian, did not take place. On Wednesday Mattis put out a statement clarifying that the US military posture had not changed since the Singapore summit. But what appears to have changed is the appetite from the US to massage relations with North Korea – sometimes using military tools – to draw them into negotiations. Mr. Trump himself indicated in June that the stoppage was an overture from the U.S. to keep the North Koreans at the negotiating table as the two sides worked together productively.

 

"We will be stopping the war games, which will save us a tremendous amount of money, unless and until we see the future negotiation is not going along like it should," Trump said in June, at the Singapore summit. "But we'll be saving a tremendous amount of money. Plus, I think it's very provocative."

 

Mattis explained that the exercise had been halted in good faith, to grease the wheels for U.S.-North Korea negotiations.

 

He reiterated that sentiment on Tuesday and left open the possibility that future exercises could be halted if it would enable negotiations.

 

Source - https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-stops-suspension-of-joint-military-exercises-with-south-korea/

 

 

 

 

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: U.S. and South Korea Cancel Planned Military Exercises

103 Views
Message 3 of 4

Trump in 60 Minutes Interview

 

Lesley Stahl: One of the things that Kim has asked for is for you to ease the sanctions.

President Donald Trump: We haven't done that.

Lesley Stahl: Are you prepared to do that? What-- what does he have to do--

President Donald Trump: No, No. I--

Lesley Stahl: Before you're--

President Donald Trump: No I'm not doing it. This isn't the Obama administration. I haven't eased the sanctions. I haven't done anything. I haven't done anything. We're meeting. I believe he likes me. I like him. We have a good relationship. It's very important.

 

Source - https://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-full-interview-60-minutes-transcript-lesley-stahl-2018-10-...

 

 

 

 

 

 

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

U.S. and South Korea Cancel Planned Military Exercises

113 Views
Message 4 of 4

 

Washington (CNN)The US and South Korea decided Friday to suspend another major joint military exercise to give the diplomatic process with North Korea "every opportunity to continue." "Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis and Minister of National Defense Jeong Kyeong-doo decided to suspend Exercise Vigilant Ace to give the diplomatic process every opportunity to continue," chief Pentagon spokesperson Dana White said in a statement.The decision was made during Mattis' meeting with his counterpart in Singapore.

 

The exercise was due to take place in December. Last year's iteration of the Vigilant Ace involved 12,000 US troops and some 230 military aircraft from the US and South Korea.
Report Inappropriate Content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Thursday, July 9 – Coronavirus Event

1 p.m. ET - Answering Your Frequently Asked Questions

Call: 1-855-274-9507

Top Authors