Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

U.S./Mexico Reaching Deal for Handling Asylum Seekers

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/11/24/u-s-mexican-government-reach-deal-handling-asyl...

 

The Mexican government has reached a deal with the Trump administration that would require asylum seekers at the Southern border to wait in Mexico while their claims are processed in U.S. courts, the Washington Post reported Saturday.

 

The Post, which quoted Mexican officials and senior members of President-elect Andrés Manuel López Obrador’s transition team, reported the agreement would break with long-standing asylum rules and place a "formidable new barrier" for migrants from Central America attempting to reach the United States.

 

The Post said the plan was dubbed "Remain in Mexico."

 

The Post reported that asylum applicants at the border would have to remain in Mexico while their cases were processed through U.S. courts.

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/deal-with-mexico-paves-way-for-asylum-overhau...

Honored Social Butterfly

Hey, rich, any thoughts on your "40 days out" theory?

Honored Social Butterfly

   Apparently the haters believe that MS-13 originated outside the USA...sigh.

 

    They also appear to believe anything that they reference is cast in stone and facts will never alter their opinion.     The outgoing President of MX can say anything he wants, especially seeing as how he will be out of a job next month ( aka December).    The incoming President appears to be saying that he will not follow through on this predecessers statements.   

     

     So why is the haters of immigrants continuing to support what has been shown to be patently false?

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

      The current US regime is hoping that no one asks why are these people leaving their own country.    Are people here too lazy to ask or even consider that question.    They claim to be life long GOP voters and yet they know nothing about the meddling that their GOP Presidents have embarked upon to remove democratically elected governments and replace them with leaders similar to Pinochet.

      This should be the classic:  you break it you own it, but the US ignores that entirely.

 

      Perhaps because those complaining about migrants seeking asylum don't know or care about why people leave their own country to seek a better  / safer life in another country.    These same people have bought into the RW nonsense that all these people are mooches on the US economy and are "bad people".     These people should realize that they have been brainwashed into believing that  nonsense.      I don't loathe those who are complaining about immigrants, I pity them for not being able to use their brain and learn that they are being lied to.     When they talk here, they only say MS-13.   If they engaged their brain, they would see the falsehood in their own statements. 

 

      Asylum seekers are leaving a country that the US destroyed and then it walked away.    Why are those complaining here not taking any responsibility for what the US did...aren't they the same people boasting about their military "service".   

 

      Oh yeah, today it was announced that a DACA student was awarded a Rhodes scholarship...so much for the RW nonsense about all immigrants being stupid, don't learn the language and are not hard workers.   

 

      On the topic at hand....we have to wait until 1 DEC until the new Mexican President is installed.   Apparently Donald and his minions forgot that, or are attempting to make a statement ahead of his installation.     That is not negotiation, that is an attempt at bullying someone...and the new MX President is having none of it.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly


@afisher wrote:

      The current US regime is hoping that no one asks why are these people leaving their own country.   

Why would you say that? We are not the policemen of the world and certainly not responsible for the effects.

Are people here too lazy to ask or even consider that question.    They claim to be life long GOP voters and yet they know nothing about the meddling that their GOP Presidents have embarked upon to remove democratically elected governments and replace them with leaders similar to Pinochet.

Pinochet died 20 years ago. And how many of the mob at the border are from Chile?

 

      This should be the classic:  you break it you own it, but the US ignores that entirely.

 

      Perhaps because those complaining about migrants seeking asylum don't know or care about why people leave their own country to seek a better  / safer life in another country.    These same people have bought into the RW nonsense that all these people are mooches on the US economy and are "bad people".     These people should realize that they have been brainwashed into believing that  nonsense.      I don't loathe those who are complaining about immigrants, I pity them for not being able to use their brain and learn that they are being lied to.     When they talk here, they only say MS-13.   If they engaged their brain, they would see the falsehood in their own statements. 

 

      Asylum seekers are leaving a country that the US destroyed and then it walked away.    Why are those complaining here not taking any responsibility for what the US did...aren't they the same people boasting about their military "service".   

 

      Oh yeah, today it was announced that a DACA student was awarded a Rhodes scholarship...so much for the RW nonsense about all immigrants being stupid, don't learn the language and are not hard workers.   

 

      On the topic at hand....we have to wait until 1 DEC until the new Mexican President is installed.   Apparently Donald and his minions forgot that, or are attempting to make a statement ahead of his installation.     That is not negotiation, that is an attempt at bullying someone...and the new MX President is having none of it.  

Bottom line - do you think that anyone from anywhere in the world has the right to live in America?


 

0 Kudos
374 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@afisher wrote:

 

      On the topic at hand....we have to wait until 1 DEC until the new Mexican President is installed.   Apparently Donald and his minions forgot that, or are attempting to make a statement ahead of his installation.     That is not negotiation, that is an attempt at bullying someone...and the new MX President is having none of it.  


Was this information released by the government or by the liberal Washington Post?  Perhaps there is those who would like such a deal fall through because of being leaked ahead of time?

0 Kudos
1,198 Views
0
Report
Recognized Social Butterfly

I don't think any deal has been made yet. I hope this whole issue ends without any further problem s. 

0 Kudos
1,602 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@n566192l wrote:

I don't think any deal has been made yet. I hope this whole issue ends without any further problem s. 


The articles in the Washington Post indicates that.  In fact there can be no deals until the new government in Mexico takes office.  This information is based on preliminary talks only. 

 

But I do get the idea that liberals here are anxious for the deal to fail, mostly because of their intense dislike for Trump.  They have a history of putting party and opinion over country.  Whatever it takes to make Trump look bad.

0 Kudos
1,204 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

I really don't see the problem here. The members of the military Trump sent to Arizona and Texas have spent their time building camps, stringing barbed wire, and playing soccer and volleyball.  They will be leaving on December 15, half a month before the actual caravan will arrive. That means those camps will be empty of military and ready to house migrants as they legally await decisions on their petitions. 

 

Why else would Trump have sent the military to the border and then pulled them before the caravan came?  I mean, you surly cannot believe it was a cheap political move for the midterms? 

Honored Social Butterfly


@Richva wrote:

I really don't see the problem here. The members of the military Trump sent to Arizona and Texas have spent their time building camps, stringing barbed wire, and playing soccer and volleyball.  They will be leaving on December 15, half a month before the actual caravan will arrive. That means those camps will be empty of military and ready to house migrants as they legally await decisions on their petitions. 

 

Why else would Trump have sent the military to the border and then pulled them before the caravan came?  I mean, you surly cannot believe it was a cheap political move for the midterms? 


Volleyball has been discussed on various other topics. Do you have any thoughts on the possibility of cooperation with Mexico in dealing with this situation?

0 Kudos
1,584 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Frankly, great move on MEXICO'S part.

 

They will initially allow immigrants to queue up in MEXICO as they get processed.

 

Our processing system is in such disrepair that processing will take well beyond the time anyone sees as reasonable.

 

The immigrants will then enter the country illegally with the blessing of the world as we drag our feet.

 

MEXICO will shrug and say they did their part for as long as they could.

 

They will be seen as trying to assist us but since we took so long; they couldn't help any more.... nobody will blame them.... except for TRUMP THE CHUMP..... but nobody else.

 

Just another example of TRUMP being a CHUMP.

 

MEXICO'S new PRESIDENT must be a sharp cookie.

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
0 Kudos
1,828 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/11/24/u-s-mexican-government-reach-deal-handling-asyl...

 

The Mexican government has reached a deal with the Trump administration that would require asylum seekers at the Southern border to wait in Mexico while their claims are processed in U.S. courts, the Washington Post reported Saturday.

 

The Post, which quoted Mexican officials and senior members of President-elect Andrés Manuel López Obrador’s transition team, reported the agreement would break with long-standing asylum rules and place a "formidable new barrier" for migrants from Central America attempting to reach the United States.

 

The Post said the plan was dubbed "Remain in Mexico."

 

The Post reported that asylum applicants at the border would have to remain in Mexico while their cases were processed through U.S. courts.

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/deal-with-mexico-paves-way-for-asylum-overhau...


You better read what is happening in Mexico on CA border. Looks like the Mexicans there will be against the deal. The local Mexican Officials have requested UN help and funding as they say their own Govt. is doing nothing for them. On a problem like this you have to look at the full problem not just parts.

Honored Social Butterfly


@john258 wrote:


You better read what is happening in Mexico on CA border. Looks like the Mexicans there will be against the deal. The local Mexican Officials have requested UN help and funding as they say their own Govt. is doing nothing for them. On a problem like this you have to look at the full problem not just parts.


I am fully aware of what is happening in Tijuana.  I believe this deal is still being worked out.  It is a step in the right direction and as the articles say, there is a chance that these migrants might want to find employment while waiting and give up banking on asylum.

 

Of course a good many are coming here for the big bucks they plan to make.  If they were indeed fleeing from persecution they would have already accepted Mexico's offer of residency and job permits.

Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:


You better read what is happening in Mexico on CA border. Looks like the Mexicans there will be against the deal. The local Mexican Officials have requested UN help and funding as they say their own Govt. is doing nothing for them. On a problem like this you have to look at the full problem not just parts.


I am fully aware of what is happening in Tijuana.  I believe this deal is still being worked out.  It is a step in the right direction and as the articles say, there is a chance that these migrants might want to find employment while waiting and give up banking on asylum.

 

Of course a good many are coming here for the big bucks they plan to make.  If they were indeed fleeing from persecution they would have already accepted Mexico's offer of residency and job permits.


If you are aware of what was going on you should have posted that since it was a major part of the story. You are aware that the deal is with the new Govt. taking over in Dec. We also hear from Mexico today that there is no such deal in the works. Guess time will tell.

Honored Social Butterfly

I almost never in accord to anything that Trump does. but on this one. sorry, he is correct. although I don't care for the manner that he is resolving this issue, I care for the fact that he is trying to bring some control to the border.

 I realize that like the Tea Party for Republicans the so called Liberals in this message board will never try to see anything different than their beliefs.

But, this time realize the reality of the situation

If he can actually keep those  people outside the US and provide the necessary steps that are needed to obtain asylum he is correct.  The minute that any of those people enter the US an d do not qualify for asylum they would have disappeared inside the US and even if they are caught, the immigration laws could take years before they would be actually deported we  have all been there and done that.
Let's act with common sense on this one and not be simply Democrats or Republicans. 

no name
0 Kudos
1,591 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@john258 wrote:


If you are aware of what was going on you should have posted that since it was a major part of the story. You are aware that the deal is with the new Govt. taking over in Dec. We also hear from Mexico today that there is no such deal in the works. Guess time will tell.


I'm sure that it would take only a little effort to research what is posted?   The new administration will take office on December 1, and they will be the ones that our country will be dealing with.  Wouldn't you think that is is proper that they be the ones to institute the agreement?

 

Or do you think that the Washington Post is not telling the truth?  After all it is a liberal media outlet.

Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:


If you are aware of what was going on you should have posted that since it was a major part of the story. You are aware that the deal is with the new Govt. taking over in Dec. We also hear from Mexico today that there is no such deal in the works. Guess time will tell.


I'm sure that it would take only a little effort to research what is posted?   The new administration will take office on December 1, and they will be the ones that our country will be dealing with.  Wouldn't you think that is is proper that they be the ones to institute the agreement?

 

Or do you think that the Washington Post is not telling the truth?  After all it is a liberal media outlet.


https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/incoming-mexican-government-denies-deal-hold-asylum-seekers-mex...


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:


 

Or do you think that the Washington Post is not telling the truth?  After all it is a liberal media outlet.


https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/incoming-mexican-government-denies-deal-hold-asylum-seekers-mex...


Are you saying that the Washinton Post is not publishing the truth?  We are not to trust liberal media?

0 Kudos
1,809 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:


 

Or do you think that the Washington Post is not telling the truth?  After all it is a liberal media outlet.


https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/incoming-mexican-government-denies-deal-hold-asylum-seekers-mex...


Are you saying that the Washinton Post is not publishing the truth?  We are not to trust liberal media?


Are you saying that my source and other sources are not telling the truth? Things change. The incoming Mexican government rejects the "deal". Other networks besides the one I post again below say the same. Fake news ???????

 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/incoming-mexican-government-denies-deal-hold-asylum-seekers-mex...


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:


Are you saying that my source and other sources are not telling the truth? Things change. The incoming Mexican government rejects the "deal". Other networks besides the one I post again below say the same. Fake news ???????

 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/incoming-mexican-government-denies-deal-hold-asylum-seekers-mex...



I'm not saying anything, but you and others are attempting to do so.  This information was first published by the liberal Washington Post for whatever reason.  There is doubt that it was meant to be released until the new Mexican administration takes office.

 

If there is fake news, it from the liberal Washington Post.   Are you denying they are the ones who first came out with it?  Other media is referencing them.

 

Or is it that liberals just like to argue and ignore facts.


0 Kudos
1,192 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote: (in blue text)


Are you saying that my source and other sources are not telling the truth? Things change. The incoming Mexican government rejects the "deal". Other networks besides the one I post again below say the same. Fake news ???????

 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/incoming-mexican-government-denies-deal-hold-asylum-seekers-mex...



I'm not saying anything, but you and others are attempting to do so.  This information was first published by the liberal Washington Post for whatever reason.  There is doubt that it was meant to be released until the new Mexican administration takes office.

"There is no doubt"? Really? The facts seem to disagree with what you claim. The Washington Post came out with the claim that a deal was made. Immediately following, the Mexican Government said they weren't accepting any deal, according to several news sources. The incoming government claims they will not accept a deal. Yep, that casts a bunch of doubt.

 

If there is fake news, it from the liberal Washington Post.   Are you denying they are the ones who first came out with it?  Other media is referencing them. I never once denied what the Washington Post released. I pointed out what was released by other news services after that, and what Mexico had to say about it.

 

Or is it that liberals just like to argue and ignore facts.

It looks like so-called independents are the ones who like to argue and ignore facts.



 


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
0 Kudos
1,178 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:


If you are aware of what was going on you should have posted that since it was a major part of the story. You are aware that the deal is with the new Govt. taking over in Dec. We also hear from Mexico today that there is no such deal in the works. Guess time will tell.


I'm sure that it would take only a little effort to research what is posted?   The new administration will take office on December 1, and they will be the ones that our country will be dealing with.  Wouldn't you think that is is proper that they be the ones to institute the agreement?

 

Or do you think that the Washington Post is not telling the truth?  After all it is a liberal media outlet.


Yes you should try a little research. It is the new Mexican Govt. that said there is no such deal. A new Govt. does not deal with a foreign govt. on anything until they take office as you can only have one Govt. at a time which is something Reb. forgot about years ago. Look at what Nixon did the first time he ran for office by killing a peace deal to end the viet Nam war which lead to thousands of Americans being killed. If you were serving at that time there is a good chance some of your friends were killed by Nixon actions. The far right Reb. have never done anything to help anyone. Now the DC post reports the story as they got it, and they got this one from our WH sources. Could be the rest of the WH is following Trump the liar.

Esteemed Social Butterfly


@john258 wrote:

We also hear from Mexico today that there is no such deal in the works. Guess time will tell.

Correct, John. The incoming Mexican interior minister said there is no such deal.

 

https://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-pol-mexico-caravan-border-20181124-story.html

 

 

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Honored Social Butterfly


@BigLib wrote:


Correct, John. The incoming Mexican interior minister said there is no such deal.

 


You mean that the liberal Washington Post is not a dependable news source?  Wow!!!  If not who can we trust?

0 Kudos
950 Views
10
Report
Esteemed Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@BigLib wrote:


Correct, John. The incoming Mexican interior minister said there is no such deal.

 


You mean that the liberal Washington Post is not a dependable news source?  Wow!!!  If not who can we trust?


Wow!!! Well certainly not Fox News. They ran with it, too. And certainly not anyone that would promote a false story on a public forum, simply because it affirms their hatred of immigrants.

 

Good thing I was around to post the truth here today. 😄

 

 

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Honored Social Butterfly


@BigLib wrote:


Wow!!! Well certainly not Fox News. They ran with it, too. And certainly not anyone that would promote a false story on a public forum, simply because it affirms their hatred of immigrants.

 


As of 9:30 last evening the Washington Post is still running the story, even saying it is an exclusive.  Don't tell me that they are not accurate...one of the meccas for liberal news?   But of course it might be that the reason liberals have a problem is that Trump is acting to create good order out of this attempt to overwhelm our immigration system.

 

Hatred of immigrants, not legal immigrants that follows our laws to enter the country and its path to citizenship.  I married one  who became a citizen and has respect for her adopted country and it's laws.

0 Kudos
1,802 Views
8
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@BigLib wrote:


Wow!!! Well certainly not Fox News. They ran with it, too. And certainly not anyone that would promote a false story on a public forum, simply because it affirms their hatred of immigrants.

 


As of 9:30 last evening the Washington Post is still running the story, even saying it is an exclusive.  Don't tell me that they are not accurate...one of the meccas for liberal news?   But of course it might be that the reason liberals have a problem is that Trump is acting to create good order out of this attempt to overwhelm our immigration system.

 

Hatred of immigrants, not legal immigrants that follows our laws to enter the country and its path to citizenship.  I married one  who became a citizen and has respect for her adopted country and it's laws.


Again .............. anyone coming to our border and seeking entry by any legal term deemed applicable is within their rights and are breaking no laws. Implying that those individuals do this to "overwhelm our immigration system" is far fetched and erroneous. My hat is off to those who have endured the hardship of their long travel on foot to get to our border. They should be given a chance to become a citizen and develop a respect for their "adopted" country and it's laws also.


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
0 Kudos
1,577 Views
4
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:


My hat is off to those who have endured the hardship of their long travel on foot to get to our border. They should be given a chance to become a citizen and develop a respect for their "adopted" country and it's laws also.

Sure, MS-13 members and others like them should be allowed to come right in, doncha know?  Just say to all comers...."Y'all come!!!"

0 Kudos
1,187 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:


My hat is off to those who have endured the hardship of their long travel on foot to get to our border. They should be given a chance to become a citizen and develop a respect for their "adopted" country and it's laws also.

Sure, MS-13 members and others like them should be allowed to come right in, doncha know?  Just say to all comers...."Y'all come!!!"


Oh? Did you see some MS-13 signs and/or members? Paranoia and fear makes people think strange things. I am sure our border patrol and immigration officials can do proper screening. These people have the right to come to our border to seek asylum and request admittance for other legal reasons ............. whether people here with unfounded or founded fears like it or not, donhca know ?


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
0 Kudos
378 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:


Sure, MS-13 members and others like them should be allowed to come right in, doncha know?  Just say to all comers...."Y'all come!!!"


First of all, do you have ANY PROOF WHATSOEVER that MS-13 members are embedded in the group of refugees. What are the numbers? How do you tell an MS-13 MEMBER from others? It seems you are missing vital information.

 

If you have this vital information, please provide it to your fellow posters.

 

I find it interesting that you hold the philosophy that MS-13 MEMBERS would embed themselves in a group of people being watched so closely rather than enter the country by some other means that is LESS PUBLIC.

 

Of course, Trump has the same philosophy.

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
0 Kudos
1,168 Views
1
Report
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png