U.K. Voters Head to the Polls - General Election

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: U.K. Voters Head to the Polls - General Election

Message 11 of 18

The EXIT Polls are coming in -

NYT - U.K. General Election 2019: Conservatives Headed for a Majority, Exit Poll Shows 

from the link ~

Prime Minister Boris Johnson now appears empowered to lead Britain through Brexit in January, its most momentous transition since World War II.

Right Now - The Conservative Party is projected to win an 86-seat majority.

The Guardian - Election results 2019 live: first results in as Tory landslide predicted 

from the link ~

Polls have closed, and the usually reliable exit poll predicts a Conservative majority of around 80 seats, with Labour losing about 70.

CNN (UK) - UK election 2019: Exit polls project Boris Johnson to win clear majority 

Screenshot_2019-12-12 UK election 2019 Exit polls project Boris Johnson to win clear majority - CNN.png

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 18

Boris Johnson’s Conservative Party set to win UK election with a clear majority, exit poll shows
PUBLISHED THU, DEC 12 20195:00 PM ESTUPDATED 30 MIN AGO

The vote is the first to be held in the winter months since 1974 and the first December election since 1923.

• The Conservatives consistently led voter opinion polls up to the election date, although the party’s lead had narrowed slightly in the last week.
  • The Brexit impasse and political chaos in the House of Commons ultimately led to Thursday’s snap general election.

U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson is set to remain in power with an exit poll showing his Conservative Party winning a clear majority of parliamentary seats in a general election on Thursday.

The exit poll by Ipsos Mori — commissioned by Sky News, the BBC and ITV — was released soon after voting stations around the U.K. closed at 10 p.m. London time. It’s a survey of thousands of voters which has been reliably accurate in recent years.

The poll projected that the Conservatives would win 368 seats in Parliament, a gain of 50 seats from the 2017 election. The U.K. pound quickly jumped more than 2% on the news.

A party usually needs more than 320 seats to have a majority in the House of Commons in order to pass bills. The opposition Labour party was predicted to lose 71 seats with a figure of 191. The centrist Liberal Democrats were predicted to get 13 seats, the Brexit Party none and the Scottish National Party 55 seats.

‘Huge margin’

“Boris Johnson seems to have won the U.K. general election by a huge margin,” Kallum Pickering, a senior economist at Berenberg, said in a research note.

He added that a win of this magnitude would mean the hardline euroskeptic wing of the Conservative Party would matter less than before, and it therefore lowers the risk of a hard Brexit.

The result of the election will have a decisive effect on the direction that Brexit takes, three-and-a-half years since the U.K.’s referendum on EU membership.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s Brexit divorce deal has been agreed to in principle by the U.K. Parliament but is yet to be fully ratified by lawmakers. There have been deep divisions over the deal on offer and how close the U.K. should stay aligned to the EU after its departure from the bloc. The future of the border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland has also been a major sticking point.

The impasse and political chaos in the House of Commons ultimately led to Thursday’s snap general election as Johnson lost the slim majority he held in the U.K.’s lower chamber of Parliament. The vote is the first to be held in the winter months since 1974 and the first December election since 1923.

‘Get Brexit done’

Johnson had promised the public that a vote for his Conservative Party would “get Brexit done.” The main opposition party, Labour, had pledged to renegotiate a Brexit deal with the EU and to then put this to a public vote. The Liberal Democrats had vowed to cancel Brexit altogether.

The Conservatives consistently led voter opinion polls up to the election date, although the party’s lead had narrowed slightly in the last week.

Both the Conservatives and Labour had experienced mixed fortunes during the campaign, with question marks raised over trustworthiness, attitudes to religious minorities, and commitments to grand spending pledges.

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 18

@GailL1 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

Could be the Queen will have to take all power back for a time.

The Guardian 04/16/2019 - OPINION by Suzanne Moore 

"If Brexiters want true sovereignty, then the monarchy will have to be abolished"

from the link ~

Activate the Queen. She is the only person who can sort out this chaos. Politicians can’t, and the “people” certainly can’t because the will of the people is a floating buffet at which all stuff their faces, but still yearn for a proper dinner. So, for instance, a “people’s vote” will either undermine democracy by ignoring the first people’s vote or underscore democracy by having more of it.

Constitutional reform makes most people’s eyes glaze over, even though we can see our chaos is bound up in systems that are no longer viable.

We must start from the bottom up: direct action and local democracy. And then work from the top down: dismantle the archaic monarchy. The Queen cannot solve Brexit because part of what Brexit is about – what is worth keeping? What has been lost? Who has lost out? Who has gained? – is entangled with all she represents.

The vote to leave, to be in charge of our own affairs and to change the status quo, has been read as reactionary, but can also be read as revolutionary. When the Queen dies, let the whole monstrous shebang of monarchy go with her. Only then can we be a sovereign country.

Then Presidential candidate Trump may have supported Brexit but the people of the country voted for it in June 2016 - perhaps they were somewhat fed up, perhaps they were trying to place the blame on their feelings of inequality, housing problems, language problems, assimilation problems - either way, it was their vote that did approve it.  It still is controversial among the people - thus their politics are in disarray and have been for several years since the vote.

No you have it wrong. It was Trump who worked to get it going through S. Bannon who worked with the leader of the movement todo that. He has a condo in the same building in DC as Steve. Steve did a lot of work like planning  the lead up to the vote and he spent time in GB directing. They say if it were not for Trump and Steve it would have been voted down. One needs to know the full subject to really understand the subject. You have just one opinion article.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 18

@john258 wrote:

Could be the Queen will have to take all power back for a time.

The Guardian 04/16/2019 - OPINION by Suzanne Moore 

"If Brexiters want true sovereignty, then the monarchy will have to be abolished"

from the link ~

Activate the Queen. She is the only person who can sort out this chaos. Politicians can’t, and the “people” certainly can’t because the will of the people is a floating buffet at which all stuff their faces, but still yearn for a proper dinner. So, for instance, a “people’s vote” will either undermine democracy by ignoring the first people’s vote or underscore democracy by having more of it.

Constitutional reform makes most people’s eyes glaze over, even though we can see our chaos is bound up in systems that are no longer viable.

We must start from the bottom up: direct action and local democracy. And then work from the top down: dismantle the archaic monarchy. The Queen cannot solve Brexit because part of what Brexit is about – what is worth keeping? What has been lost? Who has lost out? Who has gained? – is entangled with all she represents.

The vote to leave, to be in charge of our own affairs and to change the status quo, has been read as reactionary, but can also be read as revolutionary. When the Queen dies, let the whole monstrous shebang of monarchy go with her. Only then can we be a sovereign country.

Then Presidential candidate Trump may have supported Brexit but the people of the country voted for it in June 2016 - perhaps they were somewhat fed up, perhaps they were trying to place the blame on their feelings of inequality, housing problems, language problems, assimilation problems - either way, it was their vote that did approve it.  It still is controversial among the people - thus their politics are in disarray and have been for several years since the vote.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 18

@GailL1 wrote:

@retiredtraveler wrote:

I'm a self-professed 'Anglophile', so I have been following Brexit and their politics in general. Elections there are of great interest to me. I assume few Americans give a toss.... 

I find it interesting as well but not just about Brexit -

They seem to work so hard in the voting and election process to secure some type of government structure that will work - knowing that unless someone or something gives - the government will not function (like ours).

Have you followed the recent turmoil about the NHS / private insurance companies - Corbyn (think that is how to spell it) and the U.S. /Administration?  Might just be a way to throw some votes one way or another.  I haven't dug my teeth into this yet cause I don't know if it is really "a thing".

Polls close at 10:00 pm London time - that's at 4:00 pm our EST  - right???

They can handle the NIS. You do know Trumps crew was behind Brexit. Good old Steve B was the point person, and Boris was part of the Trump end. Just another example of everything, and everyone who get near trump is destroyed. Boris will not even be seen near Trump now. Two weak people now leading the country there. Sad as the country could be destroyed from within just like Trump and his crew are doing to the US. Could be the Queen will have to take all power back for a time.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 18

@retiredtraveler wrote:

I'm a self-professed 'Anglophile', so I have been following Brexit and their politics in general. Elections there are of great interest to me. I assume few Americans give a toss.... 

I find it interesting as well but not just about Brexit -

They seem to work so hard in the voting and election process to secure some type of government structure that will work - knowing that unless someone or something gives - the government will not function (like ours).

Have you followed the recent turmoil about the NHS / private insurance companies - Corbyn (think that is how to spell it) and the U.S. /Administration?  Might just be a way to throw some votes one way or another.  I haven't dug my teeth into this yet cause I don't know if it is really "a thing".

Polls close at 10:00 pm London time - that's at 4:00 pm our EST  - right???

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 18

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

U.K. Voters Head to the Polls - General Election

Message 18 of 18

A very important vote takes place today in the U.K. - a lot seems to be at stake and from what I have read - it is going to be a close race and then could still end up with a hung parliament.

They will do what they will do  - my subject of this thread is more general in nature because I found this part of their voting process to be very interesting and very different than ours - wonder what you might think about it.

NYT 12/12/2019 - Tight Restrictions on Reporting for Media

from the link ~

Once polls are open on Election Day, the British broadcasters that were reporting feverishly in the lead-up to the vote will suddenly have a noticeable lack of coverage.

It’s illegal for anyone in Britain to publish information on how people say they have voted — exit polling, or forecasts based on it — until after polls close at 10 p.m. local time.

The rules for broadcasters go further, however. A code of conduct laid out by Britain’s communications regulator, Ofcom, specifies that all discussion and analysis of election issues on television and radio must cease once polls open, that no opinion polls can be published and that no coverage of opinion polls is allowed while people are voting.

“When people are going to the polls on Election Day, it’s important that everyone can vote on the same information,” the regulator explained.

The Guardian has an item on its live briefing urging readers to comment, but to avoid saying how they voted.

“Please keep posting your comments below, but don’t say how you voted,” the note reads. “The Representation of the People Act outlaws the reporting of how people voted.”

Broadcasters’ websites generally follow suit. “There will be no coverage of any issues directly pertinent to the election campaigns on any BBC outlet,” according to the public broadcaster’s internal election guidelines.

But the broadcaster found itself in hot water almost immediately when Laura Kuenssberg, a political editor, offered a short assessment of the postal vote on Wednesday night. The BBC denied that her comment broke any laws.

A good process ?  Too restrictive on the media ?    Fair ?

Personally, I think the rule has merit - it is not like people haven't already been exposed through the months and months of coverage.  If they haven't made a decision at this late date, they can ask around to friends, family, neighbors for helpful info.  OR they can go back and review media coverage up to this point.

Things the media might do or say on election day could be very influential to those who are trying to do their civic duty, especially if some things are reported as factual and only become unproven later on, "according to sources". "an unnamed / unidentified spokesperson reported", "sources disclosed", under "anonymity" . . . . . . you know the drill; reporting but with no actual facts or named sources.  Things like this can at least be stopped on election day.

From the rest of the article, it seems, polling places are bustling with long lines -

What, no days and days, weeks and weeks of early voting?  No mail-in ballots? (yes, there are for some)

For more info on what is at stake and more about how their process works - see the CNBC link below - Anything could happen:

• especially if a hung parliament occurs
  • then onto trying to make alliances, for a somewhat workable government
  • or the PM forming coalitions
  • or even resigning and recommending the leader of the largest opposition party be invited to form a government. -

WOW, they have lots of ways to make something work.  But of course, those things might happen depending upon the results of today's election - as is typical with parties still in campaign mode, they have all suggested they would not be willing to work together to form a government.

But that could change tomorrow. . . . . . . STAY TUNED.

CNBC 12/11/2019 - How does Britain’s voting system work? All you need to know ahead of the election 

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Now until February 11, play this classic game online at AARP. Get in the game and play now.

jeopardy for aarp logo

Top Authors