Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Tutoring..

Message 1 of 5

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

why states claim they have the right to discriminate...pass laws to supress voting, why they fought segregation etc.

If you had studied about the background of the Articles of Confederation, Constitution and the country in general there would be no question as to why the states claim this right.  It is based on the principle that each state was independent before the Revolution.  There was different laws and currency for each colony. You could commit a crime in one colony and flee to another where the first state's laws couldn't touch you.

Additionally there is the principle that certain rights are reserved for the state by the Constitution.

yes, we covered all that along with Shays rebelliion where the rich robbed the poor ( nothing new there) . covered the coining of money by the fed rather than paper script by the states, states levying different taxes against each other, and James Madisons idea of a strong federal govt. we are a nation of laws, not a confederation of separate laws..the intent being to strengthen the United States. Its a decent history book..for an 8th grader. I do point out the parallels to today because it makes the subject alive. I just wish i remembered by upper math classes ( algebra trig and my faled calculus) so i could be more help in math lol. In science today he studied earthquakes , fault lines etc; I was glad to be able to relate a few things there about a few tremors from new madrid, and how that relates to time between earthquakes . I had the same trouble when i was his age relating all of it to current events. Im learning a bit of english grammar too.. i never passed grammar from 6th grade to college, and skated by in college with writing skills..once you get so far its just reading comprehension. 

And of course tx...I do tend to my tribe of lefties young, older ( my kids generation) and mine.

So it begins.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

@MIseker wrote:

why states claim they have the right to discriminate...pass laws to supress voting, why they fought segregation etc.

If you had studied about the background of the Articles of Confederation, Constitution and the country in general there would be no question as to why the states claim this right.  It is based on the principle that each state was independent before the Revolution.  There was different laws and currency for each colony. You could commit a crime in one colony and flee to another where the first state's laws couldn't touch you.

Additionally there is the principle that certain rights are reserved for the state by the Constitution.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5
he is a knok off of ol grampa. I can read him like a book lol. egads i was that way at 14.
So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

Shhhhh, the GOP will try to dismantle education even more......  Smiley Wink

But it is cool that he likes history so much.  I'm glad he's learning.   Good stuff!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Tutoring..

Message 5 of 5

of late, I have been helping my grandson ( 8th grade) with history. Todays work was the articles of confederation, how states rights failed, and how the constitution gave the federal government supremacy over the states, and the northwest ordinance and how it started putting slavery to an end, and and set the rules for land to become a state, another  two act of the supremacy of the federal over the states. When we study we always discuss how things in history impact the present...and he wonders why states claim they have the right to discriminate...pass laws to supress voting, why they fought segregation etc. The kid is becoming a history buff. has a good sense of the founding documents now too, and is beginning to connect them to todays news.

Just braggin about adding to the good side of society.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors