Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Turkey to Boycott U.S. Electronics

Message 1 of 4

Yea, I believe stories like this won't seem important until a crisis hits. Then we'll be asking "What happened?"

I don't think the pastor is the primary reason behind the sanctions against Turkey. Of course, if he's freed because of this, it will make nice headlines for Trump. His base would be particularly pleased.

I think it has more to do with Turkey purchasing the S-400 air defense system from Russia. The U.S. has been trying to force Turkey not to purchase the Russian defense system. Turkey says they're going through with it, anyway.

Just like the recent sanctions imposed on Russia. I think there's a lot more to it than the just the Skripal poisoning in London.

The Trump White House was upset about the Nord Stream 2 Pipeline. Trump even went as far as calling Germany a "captive of Russia". 

It could also be because of the closer ties between Russia and China.

china russia oil1.jpg

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

I doubt that many readers here know (or possibly care) about this event.    For the record, this is about Turkey holding a evangelical type pastor who has been detained in Turkey for about 2 years.  

To wit - Donald is now looking to destroy a nations economy to prove once and for all that he is the biggest bully.  

He is being charged as a member of a terrorist group ( remember that is how Erdogan took over and changed the country into an autocracy).      

US can and does hold foreigners for near on 20 years without charges or trials - and ignoblers appear to be good with that, as they voted for the guy who wants to upgrade GITMO.    Therein lies the hypocrisy....and ignorance.    SIGH

As a reminder, the US has a huge military base in Turkey

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

trump nato ally.jpg

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

Turkey to Boycott U.S. Electronics

Message 4 of 4

erdogan.jpgTurkey's President Erdogan

Turkey to Boycott US Electronic Products

ISTANBUL - President Tayyip Erdogan said on Tuesday Turkey will boycott electronic products from the United States, retaliating in a dispute with Washington that has helped drive the lira to record lows.

Erdogan:
"Together with our people, we will stand decisively against the dollar, forex prices, inflation and interest rates. We will protect our economic independence by being tight-knit together."

"We will impose a boycott on US electronic products. If they have iPhones, there is Samsung on the other side, and we have our own Vestel here."

"If we postpone our investments, if we convert our currency to foreign exchange because there's danger, then we will have given into the enemy."

White House economic adviser Kevin Hassett said Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin was monitoring the financial situation in Turkey "very closely".

Relations between NATO allies Turkey and the United States are at a low point, hurt by a series of issues from diverging interests in Syria, Ankara's plan to buy Russian defence systems and the detention of an American pastor, Andrew Brunson.

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201808/14/WS5b72df2da310add14f385be8_1.html

trump turkey.jpg

Kudos
Views
Replies